• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eichorst Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I hope this was the right decision...they absolutely cannot miss on the replacements for Eichorst and Riley. I mean, it's only a matter of time right? We've been through this before. ADs want their own football coaches

Yes and no, USC for instance brought in Lynn Swan last year (Haden didn't really like it) and Swann hung with Helton, which has paid off, but generally yes they do.

I was just at the Huskers Luncheon program with Steve Sipple this noon when the news broke. We had asked about Trev as the next Ad which Steve said was too premature and that Trev had some financial situations in Omaha that would preclude his selection here from the boosters he's talked to. When someone held up their phone to show Sipple the breakingnews .... he was absolutely shocked, he literally didn't know what to say

I know some will laud this but I think it's too reactionary at this point.
Maybe, but maybe not. If we do have a collapse, and I think that would be far more devastating than replacing an AD, then we aren't going to be in the position of scrambling to replace both. The AD would have to be first which would limit our time to do a coaching search.

Bad move, IMO. This is going to kill recruiting unless Riley starts destroying teams and quickly.

Also, the players are going to be resigned to the "fact" that Riley is probably gone. Hopefully they rally for him instead of quitting.
Everyone needs to quit quoting killing recruiting... that's going to happen if we go 6-6 anyway. When was our last commit when we had an AD? Over 2 months? If we are losing to Northern Illinois an 18 year old ain't helping us with 2018's schedule.

Last edited:
Yes and no. We are definitely looking like a program with some leadership issues, and obviously this is never a good thing, but there isn't the waffling we've seen in the past. There is some definitive activity going on. I am guessing at least one of the 3 most popular names we've seen here have been contacted in some manner or another.

Perhaps an interim AD situation coming while the search for an AD is completed?

Or a very quick AD hire?

Has to be done now so an AD can make a decision on this season and not wait for 2018. We didn't want to be in that position.

Maybe. I was thinking you're better off waiting until the end of the season to see if Riley & CO can right the ship. Now you've got additional turmoil around the program which will influence them internally as well as influencing the incoming class. I guess the other school of thought is you hire a new AD, fire Riley now to just pull the band aid off and go after a big gun head coach to use as a carrot to keep the class or even improve it.

Everyone needs to quit quoting killing recruiting... that's going to happen if we go 6-6 anyway. When was our last commit when we had an AD? Over 2 months? If we are losing to Northern Illinois an 18 year old ain't helping us with 2018's schedule.
That's true, but this isn't going to help. If Riley has a decent season, there will still be plenty of doubt going forward.

Maybe. I was thinking you're better off waiting until the end of the season to see if Riley & CO can right the ship. Now you've got additional turmoil around the program which will influence them internally as well as influencing the incoming class. I guess the other school of thought is you hire a new AD, fire Riley now to just pull the band aid off and go after a big gun head coach to use as a carrot to keep the class or even improve it.
That sounds like someone is trying to be way too clever. Talk about a surprise.

Riley had bigger problems right now than who the AD is... he and the team have to respond either way.

Bad move, IMO. This is going to kill recruiting unless Riley starts destroying teams and quickly.

Also, the players are going to be resigned to the "fact" that Riley is probably gone. Hopefully they rally for him instead of quitting.

Hell yes and all the above. Maybe something will come out regarding the timing of this, but it's atrocious. It's like Ronnie has no clue that the timing would be an issue.............and he's the SAME GUY making the decision to fire SE. The guy who doesn't know enough about athletics is the guy making the decisions about athletics. Wonderful.

I'm waiting for the fool to tell me it's no big deal. Nah, don't worry about all those coaches telling our recruits Riley won't be there next year.

That's true, but this isn't going to help. If Riley has a decent season, there will still be plenty of doubt going forward.
I agree. I try to error on being sure of things, before conference play firing the AD is bold. They must have seen enough.

I'll tell you this much, B1G and booster money goes a longgggg way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back