• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does anyone really want Bo as head coach with a new DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.

Why should Bo be given that pass? Three years ago, the same group kept saying that all Bo needed was a better OC. Bo chased off Watson (who Bo had originally hired) and brought in Beck. Perfect! Things would surely excel, right?

Wrong.

Now we have an OC who, for some unknown reason, abandons the only thing that is working during a close game.

Bo hired Papuchis as his DC. It is the second DC at Nebraska since Bo's arrival. So what has Bo done to show he deserves a chance to can Pap and start over with a 3rd DC? Bo is supposed to be a defensive guru. It is his bread and butter. The defense STINKS, and we really want to pretend that it is just Pap's fault? That seems gullible to me.

Bo has live and die with the assistants that HE hired. Hiring Pap (as GA) was a huge risk in the first place. Promoting him to DC was a giant risk that Bo knew he was taking. There were other DC options out there, but Bo put Nebraska in the position that Nebraska is now in.

If Bo finishes the regular season at 9-3, should he be fired or retained?

8-4?

10-2?

Just want to gauge whether you've already made up your mind.

I would hope we would not fire another coach with 9 or more wins. 2 years ago most people wanted Watson gone now they wish he was here. We need some changes in the Coaching staff but if we would win 9 or more games I would hope we would not embarrass ourselves again and fire Bo

8-4?

10-2?

To me it depends on the circumstances and how we play. It's a really good question though.

9-3 with a hard fought loss that wasn't a blowout could probably win me over. One more national embarrassment could be enough for him to be gone though so 9-3 with a blowout might not be enough to save his job. Our division is pretty pitiful this year and everyone thought we'd breeze through this schedule.

You can't fire him if he goes 10-2. But he will have to do one heck of a coaching job. Frankly, I don't see it happening.

8-4 with a blowout loss or two, he's gone. He's burned too many bridges around here.

Last edited:

Yes, new DC and play-caller, and a radical change in attitude. Much better attempt at a fix with a greater chance of success than blowing the whole thing up. Then who knows where you'll end up.

Last edited:
Yes, new DC and play-caller. Much better attempt at a fix with a greater chance of success than blowing the whole thing up. Then who knows where you'll end up.

We've already let Bo hire a DC. Why do you think his next hire would be any better than Papuchis? You would expect your HC, who is supposed to be a defensive guru, to be able to hire a competent DC.

That didn't happen.

I do believe Osborne recommended Watson to Bo. But I doubt Osborne forced it on Bo.

Bo probably said, "I got this old neighbor of mine from Youngstown who used to draw up plays on napkins. I'm thinking I'll bring him along as offensive coordinator."

Osborne: "Ummmm, yeah, why don't you just keep Watson instead?"

Bo: "But he doesn't know the process!"

8-4?

10-2?

I can't just give a number without knowing more details. And I wouldn't want to make that call after the regular season. I'd want to consider also the CCG and most likely the bowl game. See last year as a reason why.

How is the team playing? Who were the losses to? Competitive games that we fought to the end, or were they blowouts? Is the defense still getting worked over? Are the coaches still getting outcoached by no-name coaches? Is recruiting still looking absolutely flat?

I do not believe Bo is the answer. I think we can do much better and I fully expect us to make that call very soon. But if things magically get turned around this year, Bo would/should be afforded more time. I do not see things magically turning around, though.

I'm curious because I've seen it brought up by some people here... Would you really want Bo as head coach after this season with an all new defensive coordinator?

I just don't see the point. Bo is a defensive guy and he was brought in for that purpose. In my eyes, he had the chance to bring in someone like Mike Stoops or Ron Zook at the end of 2011 and he didn't do it.

I do of course appreciate that Bo graduates his players and for the most part keeps them out of trouble, but he hasn't shown me that he is a great head coach. His game management skills are poor, his players commit way too many penalties, the team looks completely unprepared in at least two games every season, and he's terrible at dealing with the spotlight.

What does he bring to the table without his skills as a defensive guru? I LOVE the way his defenses played in 2003, 2009, and 2010, but it seems that for whatever reason, his scheme or his coaching style just doesn't work anymore. Maybe it has something to do with him toning down all his yelling and screaming? Ever since he's calmed down and become more of a CEO-type coach, the defense has been mediocre at best.

And has he been a good CEO-type coach? My answer to that question would be a resounding "no." So why would you want to let him stick around with a new defensive coordinator? Wouldn't he meddle too much with that poor guy's work just like he is (rumored to be) doing with Beck right now? Barring a miracle through the rest of the season where we win out, I'd just rather see us clean house.

Short answer: No
Long answer: Hell No!

Regarding the highlighted, it's quite clear that Bo has done well when he walks into situations where the cupboards are stocked well. As much as the Bopologists don't want to believe it, there was plenty of talent at his disposal on the defensive side of the ball (for that matter, the offensive side wasn't devoid of talent, either) when he took over in 2008. Any coach worth a Peso should be able to get good results when they have the Jimmy's and the Joe's. Fortunately for Bo, Cosgrove wasn't even worth a Centavo which allowed him to come in and cement his "guru" status amongst the ravenous hoards that were dying for signs of anything positive.

Then a strange thing happened on his way to the Forum: Cally's recruits went bye bye in the car car so he now had to rely on his own recruits AND coaching ability to keep the train rolling. That loud creak you heard about three years ago was the Wabash Cannonball trying to navigate the suspension bridge at the Royal Gorge. It slowly but surely tried to inch it's way across these past few years with bolts from the bridge busting off along the way (do I really need to point out which games?). Then this past Saturday came along, and wouldn't you know it, the last pillar of support broke and the ol' Wabash Cannonball fell 1,053 ft to an ugly death.

Now all we have is a bunch of people who want to rightly give it a proper burial arguing with the minions of the Blind Faith Church of Bo who believe in little trains that "can" and are certain it can be fixed. If I've learned one thing in my life it's this: Blind Faith was a great band. Conversely, blind faith is a terrible strategy to employ when it comes to coaches who collectively will NEVER win anything at the highest levels of Div I football. Which leads me to this question:

If this staff is canned do you feel there's more than one coach (Joseph) who would get a job as good or better than the one they have now? I'll wait patiently and listen to all the valid reasons why this staff is in such high demand. I'm confident y'all can come up with something! :lol:

Last edited:
I can't just give a number without knowing more details. And I wouldn't want to make that call after the regular season. I'd want to consider also the CCG and most likely the bowl game. See last year as a reason why.

How is the team playing? Who were the losses to? Competitive games that we fought to the end, or were they blowouts? Is the defense still getting worked over? Are the coaches still getting outcoached by no-name coaches? Is recruiting still looking absolutely flat?

I do not believe Bo is the answer. I think we can do much better and I fully expect us to make that call very soon. But if things magically get turned around this year, Bo would/should be afforded more time. I do not see things magically turning around, though.

Yep

Great post.

Then a strange thing happened on his way to the Forum: Cally's recruits went bye bye in the car car so he now had to rely on his own recruits AND coaching ability to keep the train rolling.

I remember when Bo was first hired, there were some articles written about his lack of recruiting. Not his lack of recruiting ability, but just that he didn't even recruit at all when he was at LSU. That should've been a red flag. To make up for that, he should have brought in some really great recruiters.

I remember when Bo was first hired, there were some articles written about his lack of recruiting. Not his lack of recruiting ability, but just that he didn't even recruit at all when he was at LSU. That should've been a red flag. To make up for that, he should have brought in some really great recruiters.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back