• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does anyone really want Bo as head coach with a new DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
I'm curious because I've seen it brought up by some people here... Would you really want Bo as head coach after this season with an all new defensive coordinator?

I just don't see the point. Bo is a defensive guy and he was brought in for that purpose. In my eyes, he had the chance to bring in someone like Mike Stoops or Ron Zook at the end of 2011 and he didn't do it.

I do of course appreciate that Bo graduates his players and for the most part keeps them out of trouble, but he hasn't shown me that he is a great head coach. His game management skills are poor, his players commit way too many penalties, the team looks completely unprepared in at least two games every season, and he's terrible at dealing with the spotlight.

What does he bring to the table without his skills as a defensive guru? I LOVE the way his defenses played in 2003, 2009, and 2010, but it seems that for whatever reason, his scheme or his coaching style just doesn't work anymore. Maybe it has something to do with him toning down all his yelling and screaming? Ever since he's calmed down and become more of a CEO-type coach, the defense has been mediocre at best.

And has he been a good CEO-type coach? My answer to that question would be a resounding "no." So why would you want to let him stick around with a new defensive coordinator? Wouldn't he meddle too much with that poor guy's work just like he is (rumored to be) doing with Beck right now? Barring a miracle through the rest of the season where we win out, I'd just rather see us clean house.

I do.

But I also want a new OC Or at least have Bo be much more involved in the offense.

Bo's defense is struggling, he needs help. He needs to be more of a CEO and it is clear his schemes are working anymore.

If he hires a new DC he can be more hands on with the offense and help us gain an identity as a running team.

What does he bring other than his DC skills? How about 5+ years of head coaching experience. How about experience learning how to recruit and manage a team. How about continuity and not losing a recruiting class and having to completely change the program.

Last edited:
I do.

But I also want a new OC Or at least have Bo be much more involved in the offense.

Bo's defense is struggling, he needs help. He needs to be more of a CEO and it is clear his schemes are working anymore.

If he hires a new DC he can be more hands on with the offense and help us gain an identity as a running team.

Why do you want Bo more involved in the offense? If we got a new OC with more experience, I'd say to keep Bo out of that guy's way. Bo has enough trouble coaching defense and that's his supposed specialty.

I'm glad someone else brought this up, I only read your title admittedly, but no matter who is brought in as DC, this is our defensive scheme. I don't know if it will work...

Isn't an injured Martinez playing because of Bo's involvement with the offense? I'd rather Bo go back and run the defense.

Last edited:

I for one do. I do think DC needs a overhaul. Wanting change is fine, you had better be prepared for said change. Grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence, if we all lived our lives in the rear view mirror we wouldn't have any mistakes in life.

I've run organizations with a lot of people, 100+ and getting the ship to turn isn't always as easy as you hope or as quick. My point is I hired these people, Bo hired and recruited his, only takes a little to push you off coarse.

I for one still Bolieve

Heres to a great end of the year!

No.

Why should Bo be given that pass? Three years ago, the same group kept saying that all Bo needed was a better OC. Bo chased off Watson (who Bo had originally hired) and brought in Beck. Perfect! Things would surely excel, right?

Wrong.

Now we have an OC who, for some unknown reason, abandons the only thing that is working during a close game.

Bo hired Papuchis as his DC. It is the second DC at Nebraska since Bo's arrival. So what has Bo done to show he deserves a chance to can Pap and start over with a 3rd DC? Bo is supposed to be a defensive guru. It is his bread and butter. The defense STINKS, and we really want to pretend that it is just Pap's fault? That seems gullible to me.

Bo has live and die with the assistants that HE hired. Hiring Pap (as GA) was a huge risk in the first place. Promoting him to DC was a giant risk that Bo knew he was taking. There were other DC options out there, but Bo put Nebraska in the position that Nebraska is now in.

Last edited:
I am not really sure, as defense is supposed to be his specialty. If he can't handle his specialty, are we better off bringing in someone who can?

I will say, if Bo had a little smaller ego and had hired Mike Stoops or someone else with experience, we probably would not be having this conversation.

I'm curious because I've seen it brought up by some people here... Would you really want Bo as head coach after this season with an all new defensive coordinator?

In order to answer that question I'd need to know either (1.) who the new DC is, or, (2.) who replaces Bo and who the new DC and OC are?

If NU manages to turn the season around (by whatever criteria you want to use) then Bo should stay and he should get an experienced DC--for sure.

No.

Why should Bo be given that pass? Three years ago, the same group kept saying that all Bo needed was a better OC. Bo chased off Watson (who Bo had originally hired) and brought in Beck. Perfect! Things would surely excel, right?

Wrong.

Now we have an OC who, for some unknown reason, abandons the only thing that is working during a close game.

Bo hired Papuchis as his DC. It is the second DC at Nebraska since Bo's arrival. So what has Bo done to show he deserves a chance to can Pap and start over with a 3rd DC? Bo is supposed to be a defensive guru. It is his bread and butter. The defense STINKS, and we really want to pretend that it is just Pap's fault? That seems gullible to me.

Bo has live and die with the assistants that HE hired. Hiring Pap (as GA) was a huge risk in the first place. Promoting him to DC was a giant risk that Bo knew he was taking. There were other DC options out there, but Bo put Nebraska in the position that Nebraska is now in.

I agree with you.

But one thing... In fairness to Bo, he didn't hire Watson. I believe he was asked by Osborne to keep him on the staff. Watson was a Callahan carryover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back