• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Damion Daniels will announce at 10:35 AM CST on ESPN on NSD (1 February).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of SoCal's post. Again it's only opinion, but I think there are more prospect camps near Texas versus Nebraska. I would think that the over rating comes more at the 3 star level as 4&5 star kids usually have all the measureables: speed, height, weight and really good film. Texas football is way more advanced with better coaching. They also have spring ball. So their players are probably closer to their potential. Having said that, I'm not saying Daniels is over rated, but in general I would think a Texas 3 star has a better chance to be over rated than a Nebraska 3 star
I agree with your post and I have never said that a four or five star was overrated, although I'm sure some are. However, especially in an area like Texas where they develop the kids so early on, it is entirely possible for a kid to end up maxed out before he ever gets on a college campus. And we seem to have a knack for signing such kids, who turn out to be so much less than we hope for when we sign them.

Jordan Stevenson, Larenzo Stewart, Trai Mosley, Dwayne Johnson, Adam Taylor, Aaron Curry, Givens Price, Chase Harper, David Santos, Charles Jackson, Aaron Green, Jay Guy, Donovan Vestal, Harvey Jackson, Jesse Coffey, Nick Ash, Dontrayveous Robinson, Chris Williams, Cody Green, Lester Ward, Steven Osborne, Brandon Thompson, Kody Spano, David Whitmore, David Grant, Josh Williams, Patrick Witt, Anthony Blue, Shawn Sullivan, Curenski Gilleylan, Quentin Castille, Will Henry, Wallace Franklin, Cody Glenn, Brodrick Hunter, Terrence Nunn...

Thirty-six of them since 2004-2015. Now I'll grant that we've also had a number from TX that have excelled, and some of those above were lost to injury, but the ratio is still about 3/1 in less than stellar players. I'm aware that an argument can be made for some of these guys, but not more than three or four at best. That's an average of about three wasted scholarships per year on overrated TX talent. Some of those scholarships could have been offered to NE players that ended up playing for other teams; at least in my opinion.

well i actually have to agree with SoCalRed on this. Kids in states and cities with a lot more exposure to press and higher profile camps tend to get more attention and thus better ratings. It isn't a perfect science and that helps to explain why so many lower division college players make it to the pro's. granted a high 4* or 5* should be quite legit but not a sure thing. JMPO
And with three stars it's a veritable fish in a barrel situation. Especially considering the number of camps the services hold in the recruiting hotbeds.

Don't take this wrong bit your missing out on a lot of fun!!!GBR.
I read these threads all the time. I see what people post. I"m missing out on nothing but adding to the hyperbole. There's plenty of guys who will do that. I'm more of a pragmatist. It's my nature to question.

All of the above being said, I would still welcome Daniels, if only because of the fact that he might be a natural fit at Nose Tackle for us.

I agree with your post and I have never said that a four or five star was overrated, although I'm sure some are. However, especially in an area like Texas where they develop the kids so early on, it is entirely possible for a kid to end up maxed out before he ever gets on a college campus. And we seem to have a knack for signing such kids, who turn out to be so much less than we hope for when we sign them.

Jordan Stevenson, Larenzo Stewart, Trai Mosley, Dwayne Johnson, Adam Taylor, Aaron Curry, Givens Price, Chase Harper, David Santos, Charles Jackson, Aaron Green, Jay Guy, Donovan Vestal, Harvey Jackson, Jesse Coffey, Nick Ash, Dontrayveous Robinson, Chris Williams, Cody Green, Lester Ward, Steven Osborne, Brandon Thompson, Kody Spano, David Whitmore, David Grant, Josh Williams, Patrick Witt, Anthony Blue, Shawn Sullivan, Curenski Gilleylan, Quentin Castille, Will Henry, Wallace Franklin, Cody Glenn, Brodrick Hunter, Terrence Nunn...

Thirty-six of them since 2004-2015. Now I'll grant that we've also had a number from TX that have excelled, and some of those above were lost to injury, but the ratio is still about 3/1 in less than stellar players. I'm aware that an argument can be made for some of these guys, but not more than three or four at best. That's an average of about three wasted scholarships per year on overrated TX talent. Some of those scholarships could have been offered to NE players that ended up playing for other teams; at least in my opinion.

Hindsight is 20/20

No way T Nunn should ne on this list. Also this is all guys recruited by the last Regime. I think this staff has shown they do their own homework despite stars. They have gone after here to for low rated guys that suddenly end up rated very high. Devine is an example of a 3 star feom TX none of us had heard of that this staff found. Who played significant time as a freshman. Passing up a few higher rated kids already here.
My point is this staff has to few classes.to make assumptions about kids they bring in from anywhere.

If we don't learn from the past then we're just being stupid.
Not all kids are the same, of course we learn from the past.... But thinking that all 3* are the same and that it automatically transfers from kid to kid, now that's stupid.

Doesn't a lot of their rating come from what you see on the field? If so, wouldn't a 3* kid in Texas play against overall better competition then a 3* kid from Nebraska.

Your generalizations about Texas kids border...no...they ARE silly.

You have exactly no data or proof and any other basis in fact to say they play with less fire than kids from other states. foolishness

No, it's true. It's why Texas universities have been so incredibly poor at football for decades. Overrated. In state. Kids.

If we don't learn from the past then we're just being stupid.
You went to alot of trouble to list your version of 'coming up short'....and no list on the sucesses? Should have been easier enough while you were there.
Besides...according to you, it should have been a very short list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back