• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Damion Daniels will announce at 10:35 AM CST on ESPN on NSD (1 February).

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of you who liked this post, I can't help but wonder if you've paid any attention to the number of three star Texas kids we've signed over the last decade or so that you've all complained about once they fail on field. It's a curious pattern; we slather over these kids during recruiting, then vilify them when they fail to live up to our unreal expectations as third year players.

That's why I temper my enthusiasm. When fifty percent of any recruiting class generally never makes an impact on the roster, restraining enthusiasm seems to be prudent. I'd far rather celebrate the kids who succeed for the Huskers.

If that somehow makes me less of a Husker...
Liked most of you post. But why do you talk about the fifty percent that fail.
, instead of the fifty percent that succeed, and why would You want to temper your enthusiasm? That's the funniest part. But I understand your position.

Regarding the first paragraph, I agree completely, which is what I was stating with development. That, to me, is not the definition of overrated. Overrated would be saying a 2 star gets 3 because he's from TX, but you admit they are farther along development, which is what I said. Ratings don't account for ceiling.

Regarding the second, I've never questioned your loyalty and I agree those attacks are silly.
I think there are a large number of TX kids who get 3* simply because they play in TX and thus get twice the scrutiny a NE kid gets. Many of these kids are playing to get the free education, IMO, and that may account for the lack of fire we see from them in college. Of course there are kids even in TX who are underrated, like Burkhead.

Liked most of you post. But why do you talk about the fifty percent that fail.
, instead of the fifty percent that succeed, and why would You want to temper your enthusiasm? That's the funniest part. But I understand your position.
I temper my enthusiasm because I know that half these kids won't meet expectations. This way I'm not disappointed or critical of them three years later. I love to watch kids like Ameer emerge as true stars on the field. That's when I get enthusiastic.

I think there are a large number of TX kids who get 3* simply because they play in TX and thus get twice the scrutiny a NE kid gets. Many of these kids are playing to get the free education, IMO, and that may account for the lack of fire we see from them in college. Of course there are kids even in TX who are underrated, like Burkhead.

Well we might have a Ne. RB that fits that bill in Jaylin Bradley who is only a 2* at best in the ratings. We are on the right track and agree with you on some of the Texas kids. Ne. kids play for pride when at Ne.

I temper my enthusiasm because I know that half these kids won't meet expectations. This way I'm not disappointed or critical of them three years later. I love to watch kids like Ameer emerge as true stars on the field. That's when I get enthusiastic.
Don't take this wrong bit your missing out on a lot of fun!!!GBR.

Your generalizations about Texas kids border...no...they ARE silly.

You have exactly no data or proof and any other basis in fact to say they play with less fire than kids from other states. foolishness

Last edited:

You have exactly no data or proof and any other basis in fact to say they play with less fire than kids from other states. foolishness

Don't question his knowledge. He doesn't like it when people question his knowledge.

If anything it would seem logical that is harder to stand out among the thousands of HS players in Texas.

well i actually have to agree with SoCalRed on this. Kids in states and cities with a lot more exposure to press and higher profile camps tend to get more attention and thus better ratings. It isn't a perfect science and that helps to explain why so many lower division college players make it to the pro's. granted a high 4* or 5* should be quite legit but not a sure thing. JMPO

I agree with most of SoCal's post. Again it's only opinion, but I think there are more prospect camps near Texas versus Nebraska. I would think that the over rating comes more at the 3 star level as 4&5 star kids usually have all the measureables: speed, height, weight and really good film. Texas football is way more advanced with better coaching. They also have spring ball. So their players are probably closer to their potential. Having said that, I'm not saying Daniels is over rated, but in general I would think a Texas 3 star has a better chance to be over rated than a Nebraska 3 star

Except, of course, that is not what I said. That is what you interpreted from my statement. I won't claim any responsibility for your lack of perception.

I agree with most of SoCal's post. Again it's only opinion, but I think there are more prospect camps near Texas versus Nebraska. I would think that the over rating comes more at the 3 star level as 4&5 star kids usually have all the measureables: speed, height, weight and really good film. Texas football is way more advanced with better coaching. They also have spring ball. So their players are probably closer to their potential. Having said that, I'm not saying Daniels is over rated, but in general I would think a Texas 3 star has a better chance to be over rated than a Nebraska 3 star

Sure but I don't think our coaches are offering based on a number. They've seen the kids in person and rate them based on their experience.

Sure but I don't think our coaches are offering based on a number. They've seen the kids in person and rate them based on their experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back