• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Culp's Final FG Was Good

That was my impression as well.

Also, I didn't understand the illegal forward pass penalty on the TD right before that.

Yeah the kick was good

That one was debatable. I have spoken to a few people who have ref'd or coached who thought it was the right call

Really really close though

The MAC crew was horrible in over their heads

I was watching the game on a low-res stream and haven't seen a replay. But during live play I was wondering why Nebraska wasn't just kneeling down and ending the game. I want to see what Smothers has got just as much as the next guy, but making a long pass play in the final minute and then attempting a FG that wasn't needed seemed disrespectful to Buffalo in my opinion.

"But the back-ups need reps, too." They should have been put in the game when there was more time left then. When kneeling down will end the game, its not time to be throwing it downfield against an opponent you respect.

I was watching the game on a low-res stream and haven't seen a replay. But during live play I was wondering why Nebraska wasn't just kneeling down and ending the game. I want to see what Smothers has got just as much as the next guy, but making a long pass play in the final minute and then attempting a FG that wasn't needed seemed disrespectful to Buffalo in my opinion.

"But the back-ups need reps, too." They should have been put in the game when there was more time left then. When kneeling down will end the game, its not time to be throwing it downfield against an opponent you respect.

Coach Frost said that was the intention until Buffalo called the timeout and then he went the way he did

I don't like to get into conspiracy theories and blaming officials, but there seems to be something there. Literally 3 TDs were called back, and for good measure the officials then ruled a FG wide that many are saying should have been good. Oh, and Daniels gets a 15-yard penalty for not playing freeze tag when his helmet came off.

In a similar vain, replay reviews very rarely work in our favor. At least it seems that way... maybe it's just paranoia that goes along with 6+ years of really bad football.
I don't think it's paranoia. Twenty-one straight conference games without a holding call? Khalil and Carlos Davis both made NFL rosters, yet they were never, ever held in league play? Mmm-hmm. Riiiiiigggghhhht.

I watched it several times and thought it was good. The only way to tell would be to stand directly under the upright like the ref. Wish they would have had that angle, like they typically would for a "big" game.
I'm surprised we haven't had cameras installed where the cross bar meets the upright, that looks straight up the upright. Would definitely help in reviewing these instances, but maybe these instances aren't abundant enough to justify the technology.

As I said in previous posts, this team has more to overcome than injury, youth and mistakes. We have seen some officiating that is beyond crappy and one-sided. Who else goes 21 straight games without a conference opponent being called for offensive holding on a pass play? Can anyone show me another team with a similar or worse stat? No, you can't. It's unprecedented, and it doesn't just happen without some extreme form of bias being at its root. Nebraska fans haven't exactly been shy about calling out dishonest and/or incompetent officiating, and I think our officiating crews genuinely resent it. The more you call them out for their lousy work product, the more blatant their horrible calls become.
Makes you wonder if it's just incompetence, or if they're deliberately out to get us. B1G refs have been notoriously incompetent for years (I maintain that's why they pioneered replay in CFB) but some.of.the officiating just makes you shake your head. Lack of holding calls on opponents is a prime example. I remember a game last year.(OhSU??) where we were clearly, obviously, and egregiously being held on one of the opponent's TDs, and nothing was called. Then we scored a TD and, lo and behold, it got called back for holding. Replays were inconclusive on any holding that actually occurred.

The Illinois games the last two years made me think the Chicago mafia is controlling the officiating. From the first play last year (forward pass ruled a lateral & fumble, no review) to our interception this year that called back on ticky tack foul,. plus 30 yards of penalties...

The Illinois games the last two years made me think the Chicago mafia is controlling the officiating. From the first play last year (forward pass ruled a lateral & fumble, no review) to our interception this year that called back on ticky tack foul,. plus 30 yards of penalties...
Watch the first big play Illinois made, a 36-yard burst down the right sideline by Epstein. See Garrett Nelson right there on the perimeter, in pursuit? Why is Garrett Nelson's head turned around completely backward? Is it because #87 has a hold on his facemask from the 29 to the 33 yard line? There's a line judge running right behind them. Amazingly, he "doesn't see" any of it. Not one holding call on Illinois. Sure, we have press pictures of Illini offensive linemen being dragged behind our D-linemen like boat anchors, but no, no ref ever saw any of that happening. Add to that the fact that we never get the benefit of the doubt on very questionable 50/50 calls, and it makes you wonder, "Just what would we have to pay these *#@?!s to get an honest game?"

Yep, so why not just run another play... a run play. They need practice on those. I do understand the kicker needs to get his mojo back too. It just has a desperate feel to it when they are lining up for a field goal at this juncture of the game. That's just me though.
I don't think it looks desperate. Two issues, one you always are at risk of the run the score up meme... I don't think that is valid in this case, but people will use it against you. Second, a FG attempt is a higher risk play IMO than what might happen on just a vanilla run with all backups. What if your kicker gets injured? Some other ST player who is also critical regular? So bad Karma is always a risk. I always think about Kevin Steele at Baylor running that last play in for a short TD rather than running the victory formation. There is a very real reason why NFL teams run the victory formation (NYG vs. Philly)...

Wow, so Herm Edwards got the be the hero. And Larry Csonka was involved in the play... always remember Pisarcik

Okay, I've rewatched it several times and I just disagree that it was clearly good. Those of us that watched the game here in NY saw the live televised version and none of us started cheering. We were waiting for the refs to signal. On the replay, we all agreed it was very difficult to tell, but it did seem to slip inside the upright.

If you watch the replay, you'll see that not a lot of fans sitting behind the goal posts even reacted, so many of them were unsure as well.

My buddy got back to me. He watched it from 10 rows behind the goal posts and said nobody knew if it was good or not. He mentioned what I stated in another thread...on television, we only get a direct on view of the kick. We don't have the advantage of looking straight up the uprights as the officials do. So what can happen, which is what I think happened on this kick, is that the ball cleared the top of the upright in the air. On TV it looked to be good because it ended up inside the upright from our vantage point. But we don't know at what point in the flight of that ball that it ended up "inside the upright". It may have appeared inside the upright AFTER having passed over the upright, but not BEFORE passing the upright. Make sense? This is exactly why officials stand below each of the uprights. My buddy said nobody around him knew if it was good or not because the flight it took and the angle with which it flew over the upright was so tough to judge, that only an official standing directly under the upright would have known if the ball was actually "inside the upright" when it passed "over the upright".

Hope that makes sense. It's a bit confusing for me to even type. All in all, it doesn't matter, as we won. Just glad it didn't come down to that call. :)
Great insight.

If the kick was “above the upright”, then for the kick to be good, the official standing under the upright would have to see the ENTIRE ball pass within the “extended upright”. If he/she believes any part of the ball would touch the upright if it was extended higher, then the kick is no good.

I do find it hard to believe the ref under the upright would miss this call.

Great insight.

If the kick was “above the upright”, then for the kick to be good, the official standing under the upright would have to see the ENTIRE ball pass within the “extended upright”. If he/she believes any part of the ball would touch the upright if it was extended higher, then the kick is no good.

I do find it hard to believe the ref under the upright would miss this call.
Glad it made sense. I was worried. :Lol:

I saw that too. Even my wife (who has only a passing interest) said it was within the uprights.

That officiating crew was interesting to say the least.
The most critical view is from underneath the upright. The TV had no view there. I wonder if the replay cameras cover that?

It would not surprise me if it were a judgement call and there were no cameras, that the ref called it no good as an FY to DONU & Frost.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back