• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

Cover your noses

In a study published in the European Respiratory Journal on Wednesday, the researchers found extremely high levels of “angiotensin converting enzyme II,” or ACE-2, only in the area of the nose responsible for smelling. The ACE-2 enzyme is thought to be the gateway that allows coronavirus to enter the cells of the body and cause an infection.

In fact, the levels of ACE-2 in these cells was between 200 and 700 times higher than other tissue in the nose and trachea, Chen said, and they found similarly high levels in all the samples of olfactory epithelium. The ACE-2 enzyme was not detected on olfactory neurons, the nerve cells that pass information about smells to the brain.

“The olfactory epithelium is quite an easy part of the body for a virus to reach, it’s not buried away deep in our body, and the very high levels of ACE-2 that we found there might explain why it’s so easy to catch COVID-19,” Chen said. Lane added that this research may enable doctors to tackle the infection with antiviral therapies delivered directly through the nose.
Got it covered
1598030634826.png

also, this chart really highlights the kind of cases that are being captured by testing now. The chart is from Spain, but it's similar to charts in the US that show higher cases, but much lower deaths. Lots of reasons for this:

- much expanded testing is catching cases that were never found earlier
- younger positives ages
- better treatment strategies
- maybe some mutation in virus. I haven't seen anything solid on that so tend to discount it.

What does it mean: likely much higher spread earlier in the year than anyone expected, much lower real IFR than calculated as well. Also likely means that "track and trace" never had a chance to work

Lockdowns and masks do not lead to reduced Covid transmission or death.

This study is interesting because it reflects the more complex interactions in society rather than the simple minded "close the bars and restaurants and nobody will get Covid" decisions that are occurring now.

By extension then, playing and watching football is not going to make a difference, hello Big Ten office........

Last edited:

I know there is a link to this in Coronavirus Status Updates, but I think this information is really at the crux of governmental and business decision-making, including allowing sports to be played. As we learn more and more about the virus and how to best handle it, we are now finding that our tests have been unnecessarily over-sensitive. With some adjustment, we can pare down our numbers and have more useful data for planning purposes, including playing sports. This has huge implications.

University of Alabama reports 1,052 COVID-19 cases since in-person classes began

laughing that 1,052 positive test results among college students are being called "cases".

'Bama has about 38K students, so this is a tiny minority of the overall student population, and I checked NONE have been hospitalized and none were due to in-class instruction

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back