• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

As always, be careful with reporting from USATODAY.

When you read the article you find this:

"Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, where Stephens played, said in a statement posted to Facebook on Tuesday his cause of death was related to complications involving COVID-19."

No actual cause of death is given, his death was involved with complications "involving" Covid 19.

Which could mean that he had pneumonia which caused his death; and oh by the way also tested positive for Covid but no one confirmed that Covid was the cause of the pneumonia.

Media continue to play loose with facts and sensationalize anything that will panic the public about Covid :(.

According to them, we should never play football or get within 8 feet of each other ever again!

Thoughts are with the family. Too young. It makes you wonder if he'd been in a more structured environment with the safety protocols many teams had in place if he could have actually been safer. With little information about him personally, we also don't really know if he had any other underlying health issues that could have contributed to his death. No matter, it's still a very sad time for his family and friends.

As always, be careful with reporting from USATODAY.

When you read the article you find this:

"Central Catholic High School in Pittsburgh, where Stephens played, said in a statement posted to Facebook on Tuesday his cause of death was related to complications involving COVID-19."

No actual cause of death is given, his death was involved with complications "involving" Covid 19.

Which could mean that he had pneumonia which caused his death; and oh by the way also tested positive for Covid but no one confirmed that Covid was the cause of the pneumonia.

Media continue to play loose with facts and sensationalize anything that will panic the public about Covid :(.

According to them, we should never play football or get within 8 feet of each other ever again!

Sorry on this one, but COVID DOES cause multifocal pneumonia. Multifocal pneumonia is not specific for COVID, but seen very commonly in COVID pts. I'm sure they tested positive for COVID. And if complications from an underlying disease caused your death, but was ultimately due to COVID, COVID WILL (and must) be put on the death certificate.

Death certificates ask for an:

IMMEDIATE cause of death (ie respiratory failure) [the person stopped breathing]​
DUE TO OR AS A RESULT OF:​
Multifocal Pneumonia​
COVID​
The Death Certificate then asks for any other comorbidities (which may not be related to the cause of death)​
Smoker; Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.​

Last edited:
Sorry on this one, but COVID DOES cause multifocal pneumonia. Multifocal pneumonia is not specific for COVID, but seen very commonly in COVID pts. I'm sure they tested positive for COVID. And if complications from an underlying disease caused your death, but was ultimately due to COVID, COVID WILL (and must) be put on the death certificate.

Death certificates ask for an:

IMMEDIATE cause of death (ie respiratory failure) [the person stopped breathing]​
Multifocal Pneumonia​
COVID​
The Death Certificate then asks for any other comorbidities (which may not be related to the cause of death)​
Smoker; Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.​

That's my point, no Death Certificate has been issued. That's also in the article.

No formal cause of death given in this man's case, but the MEDIA has already decided "It's Covid 19!

All the best

This is from my cousin's daughter in Texas, athletic and in her mid-30s. Just a reminder that surviving this doesn't mean you're OK.

=========================================

I have not shared much about my experience with covid and post covid syndrome, but this CNN interview (link below) best describes my post covid experience - and that of thousands of others in online support groups I have joined.

Like the woman in this interview, I had covid in March but was unable to receive testing confirmation due to availability. The initial 2 week illness was like a horrible flu - fever, body aches, sore throat, horrible dry cough and fatigue.

That however was nothing compared to the 5 months that followed. Brushing my teeth sent my heart rate to 170. I was so fatigued I couldn’t take care of our daughter. I felt like I couldn’t breathe correctly. Muscle twitches popped up all over my body. I couldn’t walk down the driveway without needing to lie down. This led to a 3 night hospital stay, 3 ER visits, CT scans, visiting a hematologist, xrays, echocardiogram, and heart monitors.

Structurally my heart was fine but I have what many are finding they are left with after covid- post viral dysautonomia or POTS - basically autonomic nervous system dysfunction. My heart rate jumps 40 plus beats per minute upon standing creating incredible fatigue. Dysautonomia also accounts for neuropathy, headaches, dry eyes, gi issues, adrenaline dumps that resemble panic attacks and so much more.

Thankfully I am on a medication that has improved my heart rate and fatigue. Other symptoms have gradually improved over the past 5 months. I am left with intermittent neuropathy and muscle twitches. The fatigue is gone and I am so thankful for that.

I am not sharing this for pity - but for knowledge. I would not have believed covid could do this to me if it had not happened to me personally. If you know me, you will know I am not a hypochondriac or anxious person. I couldn’t make this stuff up. It is easy to look at numbers in the media and belittle the effect this is having on people’s lives if they aren’t in the death toll. Studies of post covid syndrome are showing as many of 30 percent of people with covid cases managed at home are left with post covid syndrome for more than 3 months.

I am so thankful for my husband who graciously cares for me and Ellie when I was not able and my mom who came to live with us for a month to help when I could hardly get out of bed.

This has been the most frustrating, scary experience I have ever had and would not wish this on anyone. All that said - even if covid doesn’t kill you, it could dramatically impact the life of you and your family for months, not just 2 weeks. Tens of thousands of people who are experiencing the same thing would agree. Be kind to others - do your part to stop the spread of covid. Take it from me - you do not want this to happen to you.

I am thankful to be feeling well and functional again and thankful for the empathy I have now gained for “invisible illness”. Just because someone looks fine, doesn’t mean that they are.

In January of 2009 In Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Imaging. 62 Athletes were tested following the "common cold" a study finds...

In terms of tissue characterization, 19% of athletes had evidence for myocardial edema with an acute cold, and 24% at follow-up (Figure 1). 38% had myocardial inflammation during an acute cold; and this proportion increased to 48% at follow-up.

To those who know better my question is, Whats the difference with this and Covid 19 studies of recent athletes? They seem very similar in nature.

Sub-clinical systolic dysfunction with persistent myocardial edema and inflammation in elite high-endurance athletes with common colds: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study

In January of 2009 In Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Imaging. 62 Athletes were tested following the "common cold" a study finds...

In terms of tissue characterization, 19% of athletes had evidence for myocardial edema with an acute cold, and 24% at follow-up (Figure 1). 38% had myocardial inflammation during an acute cold; and this proportion increased to 48% at follow-up.

To those who know better my question is, Whats the difference with this and Covid 19 studies of recent athletes? They seem very similar in nature.

Sub-clinical systolic dysfunction with persistent myocardial edema and inflammation in elite high-endurance athletes with common colds: a cardiovascular magnetic resonance study

Very interesting. Good find.

WHO reported the most new Covid-19 cases since the pandemic began. Here's what you need to know today.
It's Monday morning in the US, and the coronavirus pandemic continues to rage across the country and the rest of the world.
The World Health Organization received reports of 307,930 new Covid-19 cases worldwide in the past 24 hours — the highest single-day increase in global infections since the pandemic began. The previous daily high was set on September 6, when 306,857 cases were reported.

Last edited:
WHO reported the most new Covid-19 cases since the pandemic began. Here's what you need to know today.
It's Monday morning in the US, and the coronavirus pandemic continues to rage across the country and the rest of the world.
The World Health Organization received reports of 307,930 new Covid-19 cases worldwide in the past 24 hours — the highest single-day increase in global infections since the pandemic began. The previous daily high was set on September 6, when 306,857 cases were reported.

Fortunately only about 11% of those are in the US. Nothing like trying to scare everyone.

Covidians strike with casedemic data.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back