• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

the article "The Only Hydroxychloroquine Story You Need to Read" was posted a bit ago, but couldn't find it in this thread. While the author may well be correct in his assessment, it's extremely concerning that any scientist would say something so definitive and recommend that people not read anything else.

Anyway, while not definitive either here is a deeper analysis of that paper along with references to the papers the article mentions and to other studies.

To me the issue isn't that it works or doesn't work, it's that nothing that's been produced by those trying to shut down the research is sufficient enough to say that there should be no further research or even dissent of the opinion that it isn't useful, and it certainly isn't enough to deny doctors and patients the option of using something that has been safely used over the counter in much of the world for decades*

(* OK, safely used so long as the patient isn't given the amounts given in one study used to say it was "dangerous" --
800 + 800 + 400 + 400 = 2400 given in first 24 hours
)

I found Douglas county's site and checked the positive rate. While the recent articles say an increase from 6.7% to 11%, that's really not a clear picture. From mid June till now the positive rate ran from 7.6% to 10%, with most weeks between 8.5% and 9.3%. While 11% is more, it doesn't look like that much of a spike compared the a two month average. It only looks bad when you pick one week to compare.

I'm guessing they want their mask mandate, so it's a big deal when you pick out one low week over two months and compare that to one high week.

You can't watch the national news for the slant they put on Covid, and now it seems the local news is getting just as bad. Dr Pour wanted the mask mandate, but cancelled over possible legal matters. The local news said she flip flopped on the issue. I sat there and said she didn't flip flop. Flip flop means change your position on an issue, she didn't do that, she just didn't want to fight the legal issues. Local news didn't like it when she changed her mind, so she flip flopped.

Aren't these % of people actually testing and is not a % of entire population of the counties themselves? That, to me, is what is important. I don't see what a % of those being tested does because it is of people that went in thinking they might have Covid. To then only have 10% of them actually testing positive for Covid is pretty low.

Even if it a 5 of entire population, the whole point of the economic shutdown/lock down was to "flatten the curve" so that medical facilities wouldn't be overrun. It was never intended to be a "lock down until cases drop to a certain number, or until there was a vaccine or successful treatment", yet it seems like that is what all these new measures are about. Corona virus is going to be around for awhile. You can't just shut down events, school, etc... because of it. It is not sustainable. Heck, the Netherlands didn' do any lockdowns and it is minimal cases. That's what we should do here. Only the truly affected people, elderly, those with pre-existing conditions are really the ones that should be careful.

Aren't these % of people actually testing and is not a % of entire population of the counties themselves? That, to me, is what is important. I don't see what a % of those being tested does because it is of people that went in thinking they might have Covid. To then only have 10% of them actually testing positive for Covid is pretty low.

Even if it a 5 of entire population, the whole point of the economic shutdown/lock down was to "flatten the curve" so that medical facilities wouldn't be overrun. It was never intended to be a "lock down until cases drop to a certain number, or until there was a vaccine or successful treatment", yet it seems like that is what all these new measures are about. Corona virus is going to be around for awhile. You can't just shut down events, school, etc... because of it. It is not sustainable. Heck, the Netherlands didn' do any lockdowns and it is minimal cases. That's what we should do here. Only the truly affected people, elderly, those with pre-existing conditions are really the ones that should be careful.

I think the percentage means more today then it used to. At the start only higher risk people were tested so you'd have a high percentage, today anyone can walk in to test so the percentage is probably more accurate.

But the percentage should only be used to show an upcoming spike where your hospital might see more cases, not to claim we need masks or keep kids out of school.

We've flattened the curve exactly the way we were suppose to, but it seems that's not good enough for some, so today flatten the curve isn't good enough. To me that's not the way to treat a virus.

Not sure if it will save high school football for OPS, but Douglas county's 11% positive rate went to 10%, and has now dropped to 6.2%, which is lower then the 6.7% they were happy about earlier. Mask vote is tomorrow, not sure a 6.2% positive rate is going to help that.

Saw this in the hometown paper. Can't say I know anything about it just thought it was interesting, especially if it would prove to be useful and safe.

SAB Biotherapeutics said that 28 healthy volunteers were participating in the company’s phase-one trial of its antibody treatment known as SAB-185. The phase-one study will evaluate the safety of treating patients with the therapeutic, which is a human antibody that can be produced at large scale using genetically modified cattle.

Saw this in the hometown paper. Can't say I know anything about it just thought it was interesting, especially if it would prove to be useful and safe.

Monoclonal will be here first, either way these therapies don't get the hype of vaccines when they may be more important.

Two Phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials testing whether experimental monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) can prevent infection by SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus are now enrolling healthy adults at clinical trial sites in the United States. Many of the trial sites and study investigators are part of the COVID-19 Prevention Network(link is external) (CoVPN), recently established by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), one of the National Institutes of Health. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The trials are enrolling adults who are at risk of infection due to close contact at work or home to persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Monoclonal antibodies(link is external) are laboratory-made versions of proteins naturally produced by the immune system in response to invading viruses or other pathogens. Neutralizing antibodies, whether natural or monoclonal, can bind directly to portions of viruses that they use to attach to and enter cells, preventing them from initiating the infection cycle. Monoclonal antibodies may provide short-term protection from SARS-CoV-2 and could serve as important components of the COVID-19 pandemic response until vaccines become available.

No doubt. I wonder how flexible the FDA will be as they maneuver around the traditional requirements?

They've been very flexible, the key will be how many people will actually take the vaccine.

Instead of years of testing we'll have months of testing, for a vaccine that should be about 50% effective. I think I'll pass on that and see what happens. In fact I've talked to quite a few people about it, and up to this point haven't found anyone willing to get a shot when it comes out, if it comes out.

They've been very flexible, the key will be how many people will actually take the vaccine.

Instead of years of testing we'll have months of testing, for a vaccine that should be about 50% effective. I think I'll pass on that and see what happens. In fact I've talked to quite a few people about it, and up to this point haven't found anyone willing to get a shot when it comes out, if it comes out.
Yeah that will be interesting. I suspect that vulnerable individuals may take it. Some people will be required to take it because of their jobs. Unfortunately, some people will have to be part of the continued trials.

I think there’s a lot of people who want a vaccine but want to be part of “Round 2” - be the Burger King instead of the McDonald’s, as I say. :)

the key for most trials taking so long is money and enrollment. You can go much faster when neither of those are an issue, as is the case with COVID vaccines.

Just imagine, August-September 2020 instead of October-November 1918

After the lethal second wave struck in late 1918, new cases dropped abruptly. In Philadelphia, for example, 4,597 people died in the week ending 16 October, but by 11 November, influenza had almost disappeared from the city. Theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain.

Another emergency B1G presidents meeting? (reverse decision .... again)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back