• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Composite 4* WR Jacory Barney Jr Commits To Nebraska Update: Will Enroll.In January

I'm only saying that back during the glory days, Nebraska recruited a lot of guys who played HS football outside of Nebraska. I know it's 180 degrees different between then and now, but there's this unfounded mythology of a Nebraska team fully comprised of Nebraska kids. I dare say that hasn't existed if you tallied roster spots since some point before the BD era.
I suspect we agree that to be successful ongoing, we have to recruit nationally. Get the best kids willing to come here and coach 'em up (and keep at least most of them for 4 years). Having said that, 1997 was an anomaly in that 9 of 11 of the starters on the offensive side were from Nebraska.

I suspect we agree that to be successful ongoing, we have to recruit nationally. Get the best kids willing to come here and coach 'em up (and keep at least most of them for 4 years). Having said that, 1997 was an anomaly in that 9 of 11 of the starters on the offensive side were from Nebraska.
Well, I'm just glad we won't ever have to compete with Florida schools or Texas schools in recruiting ;)

I'm only saying that back during the glory days, Nebraska recruited a lot of guys who played HS football outside of Nebraska. I know it's 180 degrees different between then and now, but there's this unfounded mythology of a Nebraska team fully comprised of Nebraska kids. I dare say that hasn't existed if you tallied roster spots since some point before the BD era.
Who has said the team needs to be all NE kids? No one.

If you look at how Nebraska has changed demographically in the last twenty years, we've actually likely got more D1 talent to chase now than in our glory days run.

We won't get them all and likely wouldn't want them all, but locking down the best in state kids we want...should be a priority. It was pretty obvious our last staff or portions of our last staff just through they'd come to Lincoln...because.

We'll still have to get a bunch of out of state kids to compete at a high level, but I really would love to keep the best of the best here. As long as they're not problems.

With the exception of DK and CN, I feel like Brix is our most important target. We need dominance at the tackle position.
Brix would be a home run commit for sure 4 star tackles are golden and they usually attract more offensive linemen. Michigan is absolutely loaded with great linemen and they attract talent. Impossible to win a conference title without an outstanding and very deep line. Rhule will get there.

This is commit #23 and by my count there are currently only 9 scholarship seniors on the roster. I understand this always works out but that’s 14 more than what graduates and I am certain they’re not finished not to mention the transfer portal. I am sure they know exactly what they’re doing but as always it’s going to be interesting.
Deion has agreed to take any extras we end up with. ;)

Said as much earlier and agree.
One other thing, MR
Kids have heard of him, any of them who has talked with him has put the middle of cornfields myth way behind them at that point.
It's only the ignorant that think this, or others with agendas

I’m surprised the guy didn’t add comments about all the mythical county scholarship kids Barney would have to compete with.

I agree that we need talent from around the country, but if you check the two deep roster from 1995, probably our best team ever and maybe the best college football team ever, it was heavy on home grown talent. Nebraska kids need to be evaluated and brought on board if they can play. Building the program from the inside out has worked in the past and it will again.
As for the perception nationally, that has been cornfields and nothing else forever. It won't change and that is why you have to get kids in early to see the town and the facilities.
Coach is smart to show all the fun stuff they are doing as a group in Lincoln on his social media.
This staff is leaving no stone unturned.

I looked it up (the 95 two deep) because I was curious.

Yes, a lot of Nebraska kids. But also a lot of out of state kids, especially on Defense.

And a lot of 'studs' from out of state.

According to the two deep on Wikipedia (and there were some 'ors')

Defense = 25 players
Nebraska players = 7
Other players = 18

Offense = 28 players
Nebraska players = 19
Other players = 9

I think that 95 team does a good job of showing the template. Grab as many local kids that can play OL, DL and LB (plus you've got Veland and Stokes). Grab the in-state skill position kids that can play (Green, Childs, Benning, Baul, Clester). Then recruit as many studs nationally as you can – Frazier, Minter, Booker, Wistrom, Peter(s), Graham, Philips, BB).

Last edited:

Just reacting to the sentiment that we need to be careful recruting out of state kids because we might get burned on recruiting.

We very well might, but we don't have the luxury of finding all the players we need within the borders.

Never have, really.

Just reacting to the sentiment that we need to be careful recruting out of state kids because we might get burned on recruiting.

We very well might, but we don't have the luxury of finding all the players we need within the borders.

Never have, really.
I think you misunderstood the conversation. Which started with someone saying 14 in 2 years is too many. The great majority of which were highly sought after recruits.

Many of the rest of us stated. That they were sought after.

We also stated that if there is a 4 star from NE and a 4 star from elsewhere. The NE kid is more likely to stick around. No one is saying if the best in state next year are 2 stars that we should take them.

Didn't miami go 5-7 last year?

Yep.

Started out the year as a top 25 team getting a lot more love than warranted and went out and proved otherwise.

The home loss to MTSU was not good.

That said, they've had winning seasons recently, gone to bowls recently and I think the perception is they're trending in the right direction.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back