• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bubba Starling ain't coming to Lincoln . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if he enrolls in January and goes to play baseball, the clock starts ticking on his eligibility to come back and play football later.

It's not just about football either...if you are the starting QB at Nebraska, that makes you BMOC...that could be something that Bubba's looking forward too instead of being shuffled off to some AA farm system and hoping for a late season call up

Nothing new here...just more random speculation without any fact behind it.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that he is the #1 overall pick. That's not even close.

http://www.draftsite.com/article/2011-MLB-Draft-Preview-High-School-Pitchers/44 not in the top 10 HS pitchers in this one

http://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2011 This one has him at #20. Another has him at #17.

Why don't we wait and see whether he enrolls for January classes before we declare him a casualty?

great points, FLAS (and Reign).

it's really just speculation by all of us. of course, this forum without speculation would be dead (and i wouldn't have a job as a meteorologist -- hah!)...

a reasonable guess, however, would be that if bubba is projected as a lock for the first round (even if not #1), he'd much more likely than not choose baseball. the signing bonuses alone (instant money) for a first round draft pick in MLB are generally in the millions. pretty hard for a teenager (or anyone) to turn down that kind of guaranteed, instantaneous money. here's the bonuses from the 2010 MLB draft:

1) Washington: Bryce Harper - $9.9M signing bonus
2) Pittsburgh: Jameson Taillon - $6.5M signing bonus
3) Baltimore: Manny Machado - $5.25M signing bonus
4) Kansas City: Christian Colon - $2,75M signing bonus
5) Cleveland: Drew Pomeranz - $2.65M signing bonus
6) Arizona: Barret Loux - Did not sign, failed physical
7) New York Mets: Matt Harvey - $2.5M signing bonus
8) Houston: Delino DeSheilds Jr. - $2.15M signing bonus
9) San Diego: Karsten Whitson - No contract signed, will attend Florida
10) Oakland: Michael Choice - $2M signing bonus
11) Toronto: Deck McGuire - $2M signing bonus
12) Cincinnati: Yasmani Grandal - $3.2M signing bonus
13) Chicago White Sox: Chris Sale - $1,656M signing bonus
14) Milwaukee: Dylan Covey - Did not sign, will attend San Diego
15) Texas: Jake Skole - $1.557M signing bonus
16) Chicago Cubs: Hayden Simpson - $1.06M signing bonus
17) Tampa Bay: Josh Sale - $1.62M signing bonus
18) Los Angeles Angels: Kaleb Cowart - $2.3M signing bonus
19) Houston: Mike Foltynewicz - $1.3M signing bonus
20) Boston: Kolbrin Vitek - $1.359M signing bonus
21) Minnesota: Alex Wimmers - $1.332M signing bonus
22) Texas: Kellin Deglan - $1M signing bonus
23) Florida: Christian Yelich - $1.7M signing bonus
24) San Francisco: Gary Brown - $1.45M signing bonus
25) St. Louis: Zack Cox - $3.2M signing bonus
26) Colorado: Kyle Parker - $1.4M signing bonus
27) Philadelphia: Jesse Biddle - $1.16M signing bonus
28) Los Angeles Dodgers: Zach Lee - $5.25M signing bonus
29) Los Angeles Angels: Cam Bedrosian - $1.116M signing bonus
30) Los Angeles Angels: Chevez Clarke - $1.089M signing bonus
31) Tampa Bay: Justin O'Conner - $1.025M signing bonus
32) New York Yankees: Cito Culver - $954K signing bonus

http://www.baseballrumormill.com/2010/06/2010-first-round-draft-pick-signing-bonuses/

you will note that 2 players did turn down the cash in the last draft -- so there's certainly hope. it's not a 100% lock that bubba would take the money and run -- just a reasonable guess if you were to pick one side or the other.

i'd love to see him in a husker football jersey...but... carl crawford.

Doc, he's all flush from winning the 'dark side' award. Back to spread some more of his "cheer."

That said, I highly doubt we see Bubba. Way too much to risk...

I thought it was the "Wet Blanket Award" but either way...prob so. I would love to have him, but either way I want him to have a great college experience, but time will tell.

He will sign with someone in Feb. Most likely Nebraska. Kids do this all the time and it actually helps them if they do get drafted as they can use the LOI as leverage in their baseball contract. Ultimately it is up to the kid on what he decides but don't discount the lure of being a QB at a school like Nebraska.

IIRC, even if he signs a letter of intent, he can still go pro in baseball up until he enrolls in school in August?

So even if we actually sign him, it won't matter until the first day of class....

It's hardly worth a thread to announce this.

In other news, grass is green, birds fly, and waves pound the sand.

Wan't he going to be an early enrollee?

He is pretty prolific. Every time I see "brain droppings" with ThotDoc's name attached to it, I think "brain diarrhea" instead. :Biggrin:

I'll try to prepare a cliff notes version for you Nish, since it's usually longer than a paragraph. :)

you will note that 2 players did turn down the cash in the last draft -- so there's certainly hope. it's not a 100% lock that bubba would take the money and run -- just a reasonable guess if you were to pick one side or the other.

i'd love to see him in a husker football jersey...but... carl crawford.

One of the two did not sign simply because his baseball physical revealed he had Type 1 diabetes and he chose to deal with the life-altering condition first before committing to professional baseball.

This guy is probably going to be the first pick in the MLB draft. No-way, no-how does he pass up $10 million to come to Lincoln to play football. If he was born and raised in Nebraska, there might be a slight chance.

So you're saying there's a CHANCE! Me Likey aLot!

When a web site forces me to fill out a long and complicated form just to get to what is likely to be a piece of their marketing information or other junk, I list my name as "Stinky Whizzleteats" in homage to that Ren & Stinpy vid.

R U the guy that wrote that song about a whale...no wait...it was a song about being happy! Classic Ren and Stimpy stuff right there. I wonder if Starling has seen Ren and Stimpy?

Ask Okie St.'s qb about playing baseball first and then getting a chance to play football. Worked for him and I am pretty sure he did get as much cash thrown at him as Bubba will.

I'd take the cash and try Baseball. give it a couple of years, pocket the signing bonus and if it doesn't work go back to college and play football. 22 yr old freshman with money would have a lot of friends:cheers:

FYI, because of players like the OK State QB and Weinke back in the day. The NCAA has enacted a new rule that if you go pro in a different sport, your NCAA clock starts at age 21. So if he does go pro, he'll only have 3-4 years to give it a good shot after that he starts losing football eligibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back