• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bubba Starling ain't coming to Lincoln . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYI, because of players like the OK State QB and Weinke back in the day. The NCAA has enacted a new rule that if you go pro in a different sport, your NCAA clock starts at age 21. So if he does go pro, he'll only have 3-4 years to give it a good shot after that he starts losing football eligibility.

Do you have a link to that rule? I've never heard that before.

FYI, because of players like the OK State QB and Weinke back in the day. The NCAA has enacted a new rule that if you go pro in a different sport, your NCAA clock starts at age 21. So if he does go pro, he'll only have 3-4 years to give it a good shot after that he starts losing football eligibility.

That's weak.

Do you have a link to that rule? I've never heard that before.

21 Year Age Rule for Division I
In Division I only, if a student-athlete has participated as an individual or as a team representative in organized sports competition, that kind of participation during each 12-month period after his/her 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment will count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Any participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services will be excepted.

You may wish to consult with the student-athlete's current college's athletics director to determine exactly how many seasons of varsity competition he/she may have used. Please contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 should you have further questions.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaa...+and+Recruiting/Faqs/eligibility_seasons.html

Ok, first off Bubba Starling is not going to get drafted #1 overall. Rice 3B Anthony Rendon is going to be the likely first pick. Scouts say that if he would have came out last year, he would have been #1 overall ahead of Bryce Harper, the 17 year old C.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/olney-on-pettitte-rendon-blanton-hoffman.html

Also, Pat White former West Virginia QB was drafted in the fourth round out of high school and was offered a six figure signing bonus. He turned that down and his college career was a very good one. He is now out of the NFL and just signed with the Royals. So it's not a lock he goes if he is drafted.

As for Bubba, most experts say that the draft is going to be an incredibly deep draft. So if the Royals don't draft him in their spot (which is important, because Dayton Moore has said he wants to lock up the local kids and make sure a Albert Pujols/Ian Kinsler type local player doens't escape KC again) than he could fall to the secon round. I have seen drafts have him anywhere from #14 overall to the 2nd round. Him being at NE enrolled and going through spring practice, may deter some teams from taking him because he is already in college practicing football. If he isn't in school than I think that makes him more apt to get drafted higher.

All in all, i think it's way to early and ignorant to discuss and speculate this and what intentions that this student has. Either decision he makes will be a life changer and only he knows what he wants to do. I will support him 100%.

FWIW folks he will sign in Feb....doesn't have to a make a decision on the major league draft (which will be in June) until late summer....which is why I'm not sure why so many folks think he won't sign a letter of intent in Feb to play football/baseball for Nebraska?....at that point in time he has no clue where he will be drafted or how much money he will be offered....so why cut his nose off to spite himself?....so yeah he will sign with Nebraska in Feb and will make it to campus in June....what happens after that is anyone's guess....but you never know maybe he actually wants to play football....we might all be surprised....

Good points.

Thanks for the info...

I noticed that is says that it "will count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Does that mean that it only counts for baseball? Or does that automatically set the 5 year clock in motion?

It seems kind of crappy that a kid that wants to give professional sports a shot would be denied the experience of playing another college sport later in life.

Nothing new here...just more random speculation without any fact behind it.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that he is the #1 overall pick. That's not even close.

http://www.draftsite.com/article/2011-MLB-Draft-Preview-High-School-Pitchers/44 not in the top 10 HS pitchers in this one

http://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2011 This one has him at #20. Another has him at #17.

Why don't we wait and see whether he enrolls for January classes before we declare him a casualty?

Facts are beautiful things. :thumbsup:

IIRC, even if he signs a letter of intent, he can still go pro in baseball up until he enrolls in school in August?

So even if we actually sign him, it won't matter until the first day of class....

It's hardly worth a thread to announce this.

In other news, grass is green, birds fly, and waves pound the sand.
But, it gets his post count up, keeps his "name" on the front page where he loves to see it, and generates more responses which gives him the attention he craves. After all, that's the whole point, right? :rolleyes:

One of the two did not sign simply because his baseball physical revealed he had Type 1 diabetes and he chose to deal with the life-altering condition first before committing to professional baseball.

i didn't mention him because that's an exception. as noted (check the list), two players chose not to sign and not due to anything physical.

ok, i didnt read all 3 pages to this thread so if someone already said this then i apologize. do you think the coaching staff would recruit this kid, waste a scholy on him if he was not saying he was gonna play football. i think bo is up forward enough to say if you are not 100% sure of not playing baseball then we will recruit you. if not then i see us backing off and giving his scholy he was gonna use to someone else.

I love the way HISD posts this as if he were the first one to consider the possibility. There are a dozen threads about what Starling may or may not do. Its almost like he wakes up and knows he has to do something....just can't figure out what. So he posts. Why don't you take a wiz like the rest of us and save the board the clutter.

I love the way HISD posts this as if he were the first one to consider the possibility. There are a dozen threads about what Starling may or may not do. Its almost like he wakes up and knows he has to do something....just can't figure out what. So he posts. Why don't you take a wiz like the rest of us and save the board the clutter.

The only diffference is the other posters know there is a recruiting board.

Thanks for the info...

I noticed that is says that it "will count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Does that mean that it only counts for baseball? Or does that automatically set the 5 year clock in motion?

It seems kind of crappy that a kid that wants to give professional sports a shot would be denied the experience of playing another college sport later in life.

I read that too and right now I can't find the other link that stated his 5 year clock started at 21 if playing a pro sport in a different sport. It's new going into the 2011 football season, I'll have to dig around more when I have time. Stupid work keeps interfering with the important stuff. :Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back