• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

***BREAKING NEWS*** Will Bolt new HC!!!

Solid single for NU. Could make it a double with the right pitching coach. I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum regarding Silva compared to ***. I wouldn’t consider keeping him on even if for free.
Problem was Silva was so highly thought of nationally. I don’t think keeping him would have been the right move tho. The stats he had for our pitchers in his tenure here was pretty remarkable. Once was bitching about him to someone pretty tuned in and they said “better go check that team ERA nationally” which shut me up pretty quick when I researched it.

Bolt doesn’t need anyone from the previous staff tho. Keep things positive. Too much negativity about Silva.

Last edited:

Problem was Silva was so highly thought of nationally. I don’t think keeping him would have been the right move tho. The stats he had for our pitchers in his tenure here was pretty remarkable. Once was bitching about him to someone pretty tuned in and they said “better go check that team ERA nationally” which shut me up pretty quick when I researched it.

Bolt doesn’t need anyone from the previous staff tho. Keep things positive. Too much negativity about Silva.
It's really interesting to hear different circles. The people I hear from weren't happy with his arm management, specifically injury prevention strategies. These are pretty knowledgeable folks but.......

I don't have the motion/arm angle/elbow stress knowledge to have a workable conversation about it. I'm pretty sure there's more than one way to teach pitchers how to, you know, pitch. And if said-uphappy-group is not a fan of a present pitching coach, for whatever reason that may, or may not, have anything to do with his coaching, then there's some bias and BS to sift through. It requires knowledge of the subject I don't have.

I would expect Bolt to bring in someone with a wealth of experience at an appropriate level. So, here's hoping that happens.

I would not expect our pitchers to use the Jammer. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Coaching baseball is not as simple as it used to be. Most kids have specialized coaches in their off seasons. Most had specialized coaches growing up. Then they get to college and coaches try different approaches and some kids just melt down and tank. Their brains are overloaded with multiple coaching techniques and their muscle memory goes haywire. Not all, but a lot. Too much specialization is not good, "you dont reinvent the wheel" type stuff. See the ball, hit the ball. Get your hips open and hands through the zone. The nub of the bat has to go toward the ball. Start with your hands at the top of the zone. Dont choke the bat, relax your hands. Hit the ball where it is pitched. Learn to command your fastball before learning another pitch. Palms up, balls of your feet. Oh the good old days, basic fundamentals. And I am glad to see a couple of catchers hired as coaches. I am partial but they do seem to make the best coaches, lol. Sorry for the semi-rant.

It's really interesting to hear different circles. The people I hear from weren't happy with his arm management, specifically injury prevention strategies. These are pretty knowledgeable folks but.......

I don't have the motion/arm angle/elbow stress knowledge to have a workable conversation about it. I'm pretty sure there's more than one way to teach pitchers how to, you know, pitch. And if said-uphappy-group is not a fan of a present pitching coach, for whatever reason that may, or may not, have anything to do with his coaching, then there's some bias and BS to sift through. It requires knowledge of the subject I don't have.

I would expect Bolt to bring in someone with a wealth of experience at an appropriate level. So, here's hoping that happens.

In hearing Darin talk, it's interesting to have him rattle off College World Series teams every year that have our arm injuries like we had in 2018. I think 2018 left a sour taste in everyone's mouth and it piled on from Silva not recruiting Nebraska much early on.

I have zero clue on arm slot and everything else. But Bolt needs to just cut complete ties. Get people happy and excited, not indifferent and able to carry any preconceived notions about prior things.

Christy coming back to Lincoln and Harvell joining the staff will be interesting. I don't think any of them are pitching guys, but Bolt and Harvell have both been recruiting coordinators.

In hearing Darin talk, it's interesting to have him rattle off College World Series teams every year that have our arm injuries like we had in 2018. I think 2018 left a sour taste in everyone's mouth and it piled on from Silva not recruiting Nebraska much early on.

I have zero clue on arm slot and everything else. But Bolt needs to just cut complete ties. Get people happy and excited, not indifferent and able to carry any preconceived notions about prior things.

Christy coming back to Lincoln and Harvell joining the staff will be interesting. I don't think any of them are pitching guys, but Bolt and Harvell have both been recruiting coordinators.

It says that baseball teams can have 3 paid assistants so it would stand to reason he has a pitching coach in mind somewhere out there. I like the catching background and recruiting background of both assistant coaches mentioned to date. It will be interesting to see who the pitching coach is going to be.

@skerinks
Baseball can only have 2 paid assistants, so one of them may be coming back in an administrative recruiting role
I think spellcheck got me and sent me to basketball assistants, lol. I saw the part about requesting a third coach and then an article said 3 paid assistants allowed, lol. Thanks for setting me straight! So, one coordinator and possibly a pitching coach down the road?

I think spellcheck got me and sent me to basketball assistants, lol. I saw the part about requesting a third coach and then an article said 3 paid assistants allowed, lol. Thanks for setting me straight! So, one coordinator and possibly a pitching coach down the road?
The NCAA had a vote to allow a third assistant, so you were probably in the right spot, but conferences like the B1G voted it down while the SEC was unanimously in favor.

I really am not sure what that situation is going to look like. No idea if one of them can coach pitchers. I’ve heard of catchers taking over that duty which would be Christy, but that may not sit well as that’s few and far between.

I agree with your first and second paragraphs 100%

Last edited:

...I'm really surprised we got Bolt for $300K. Hopefully, there are a number of incentives or the salary is fluid, based on achievement, as that salary almost invites poaching, should Bolt be successful.

Two of Erstad's three best seasons were with Bolt on staff and he has better recruiting, defense, and hitting credentials.

This is a hire that we should be very satisfied with--it is another obvious hire for Moos (which aren't always doomed to failure!). Started to pique my interest when some bigger names were getting thrown around, but it ended up being the guy seen as a good hire, from the start.

Now go fix the damn scholarship rules.

Solid. I like the hire. If the B1G would fix the scholarship rules, I'd love our chances at regular post season success.
I'll be watching our pitching closely like many here said. I'm not a fan of specialization in a single sport from the time kids are in middle school. 18year old pitchers have the arm wear of a 31 year old because they don't get any real break from throwing. Arm injuries throughout baseball at all levels are trending the wrong way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back