• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bob Diaco to be named new Defensive Coordinator

Seems like a decent hire. I'm curious if Nebraska missed out on anyone by waiting to fire banker so late. I think Diaco is a good hire, but I wonder why they waited so long to can Banker (as opposed to firing him after the Iowa game).
I think someone nailed it in another post. I think HCMR was planning on keeping him one more year but then at the AFCA he found out Diaco was available and decided why postpone the inevitable.

I think someone nailed it in another post. I think HCMR was planning on keeping him one more year but then at the AFCA he found out Diaco was available and decided why postpone the inevitable.
my buddy was telling me that last night. Makes sense. I welcome the change to the 3-4. I've enjoyed watching green bay run the 3-4. Now if we can get a LB like clay Matthews that will be real fun to watch...

my buddy was telling me that last night. Makes sense. I welcome the change to the 3-4. I've enjoyed watching green bay run the 3-4. Now if we can get a LB like clay Matthews that will be real fun to watch...
I'm thinking more along the lines of Von Miller myself. Also, this hire may make Tyler Shelvin take notice.... He could be that NT that is so desired in the 3-4.

Well, at least you're finally admitting it. Not that everyone didn't know already; it's just nice to see you come out of the closet.
What are you talking about. Coming out of the closet on Riley? I've been saying this for 2 years. I'm pretty honest about my assessments and opinions.

Perhaps, but I have a suspicion the additional hire will be on the offensive side of the ball. Riley appears to be addressing issues systematically, and if my perception of this is correct (my personal opinion), Riley will make attempts to get this side of the ball some needed assistance before adding another role on defense.

If/when the 10th assistant is approved by the NCAA, I could see that going to defense.

All in all I like the hire, but as always time will tell if the correct one. Looking forward to a different mentality on defense, this team needs to find its swagger and for me that begins with aggressive defensive play.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I could see them giving Tavita a position now and then finding a defensive assistant (maybe Coach Wilhite?) once the 10th assistant is approved.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but I could see them giving Tavita a position now and then finding a defensive assistant (maybe Coach Wilhite?) once the 10th assistant is approved.
I think I'm the only one who doesn't want TT hired full time. We are showing an obvious intention to improve recruiting by hiring young coaches who are proven recruiters. Don't see why we would promote a grad asst. Without any recruiting ties when we can get a proven commodity instead. If TT were anywhere but here and we hired him to his first coaching gig this board would implode

I think I'm the only one who doesn't want TT hired full time. We are showing an obvious intention to improve recruiting by hiring young coaches who are proven recruiters. Don't see why we would promote a grad asst. Without any recruiting ties when we can get a proven commodity instead. If TT were anywhere but here and we hired him to his first coaching gig this board would implode
I think TT is a great free asset for our team, but wiyh all that money coming in this year, I would agree that paying for a proven commodity, especially on the recruiting side, with both MR, SE, and ironically Banker stressing the need for an upgrade in talent, would be logical and of more benefit to the program.

I'd speculate it is a concern beginning next year, agree with your thoughts. But, you never know what kind of dynamic will be created amongst the staff.

Many successful programs have some key turnover every couple years, I won't get too hung up on continuity of staff if it means Nebraska is achieving a much higher level of success and therefore losing coaches to coordinator positions ... especially if Nebraska is always paying attention and aware of potential outstanding replacements.

I'm pretty sure Bray is more than a few years younger than Diaco. Diaco just looks young....and studly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back