• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bob Diaco to be named new Defensive Coordinator

This is one of the many reasons Mark Banker was fired. He did not establish relationships with his players. They did not like him.

"He also discusses his relationship — or lack of one — with defensive coordinator Mark Banker, someone McMullen says he never spoke with throughout their shared time in Lincoln."

On his relationship with Mark Banker:
"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-in...cle_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

Good riddance to Mark Banker.

Last edited:

This was before McMullen left, it was out there.

The Gerry stuff will no doubt come up shortly and his inability to connect with other defensive players.
It'd be great if we could get all the posts that pointed out these issues collated into a single thread. Lots of posters need to be brought up to speed on how to be critical of Banker, and it needs to happen fast. So let's dig up the posts that were RAA (right all along) about Banker and use that material as a kind of tutorial.

Last edited:
It'd be great if we could get all the posts that pointed out these issues collated into a single thread. Lots of posters need to be brought up to speed on how to be critical of Banker, and it needs to happen fast. So let's dig up the posts that were RAA (right all along) about Banker and use that material as a kind of tutorial.

Did you accidentally eat cat #### instead of cereal this morning?

I was just pointing out that the McMullen stuff was already out.

I was just pointing out that the McMullen stuff was already out.
And you mentioned the Gerry stuff. I thought you were starting to make a list. (And there's a more general point I'm trying to make here, that I think is important.)

Last edited:

I keep reading comments in passing about the job status of assistants on the defensive side.

I guess, it's ultimately up to BD + MR what the want to do, but from where I sit (which is pretty far removed) JP, TB and DW seem like high quality guys – that's why MR hired them in the first place, right?

Hoping we get a chance to see what they can really do with a new scheme in place.

#GBR

And you mentioned the Gerry stuff. I thought you were starting to make a list. (And there's a more general point I'm trying to make here, that I think is important.)

You're right but it's pretty normal to talk about the person that's gone and the issues with him.

Wont UConn be paying a substantial amount of his salary?

Interesting question, and of course it depends on how his contract at UConn was structured. According to this article, http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/About-new-UConn-football-coach-Bob-Diaco-5059788.php , his base salary was 400,000 with guaranteed compensation for other duties up until 2018. He was scheduled to make 1.25 Million for 2017. (I don't know if the 400 k base is included in that, or on top of that).

Many have guessed that the Huskers were going to open up the checkbook a bit for this hire. I think it will depend on what we settled with him for compensation, as to how much UConn will be on the hook for. Might not be all that much.

I keep reading comments in passing about the job status of assistants on the defensive side.

I guess, it's ultimately up to BD + MR what the want to do, but from where I sit (which is pretty far removed) JP, TB and DW seem like high quality guys – that's why MR hired them in the first place, right?

Hoping we get a chance to see what they can really do with a new scheme in place.

#GBR

I certainly hope Diaco does not come in and make immediate changes to defensive staff. This clearly had to be discussed between he and Riley ahead of the offer. Improvement was made last year, albeit marginal in many facets, and complete upheaval does not seem necessary.

Would have to believe the new DB coach was aware the change was coming also. Speculation on my part? Yes, but that guy has options and if a new DC was to be brought in a month after coming onboard, presenting a potential threat to his new gig, I would question the decision unless there was prior knowledge.

Coming from an anti-Riley person. Not sure if this is a home run hire or not but I think it is a pretty good step forward. My number 1 complaint against MR was bringing Banker with him. Well that has been alleviated so it boosts my opinion of the staff way up. However......as always I'll reserve the right to bitch about something at any time. :thumbsup: Truthfully though......most all persons with my perception should have a certain amount of positive thoughts here. I really feel we need to find some passion and fire on the sidelines. Our defenses late this season lacked any type of fire.

To add to that, since Diaco left Notre Dame ...

2014: 73rd in total defense. 84th in scoring defense.
2015: 45th in total defense. 39th in scoring defense.
2016: 42nd in total defense. 61st in scoring defense.

Pretty significant drop-off in Notre Dame's defensive production following Diaco's departure.
HW not arguing with you but you did have me laughing. If this was a comparison to a performance record after Bo left it would have been that Diaco left a toxic environment, that he only had a good defense because of the players that were recruited before him and that he left the cupboard bare for the next guy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back