• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

For Bo to routinely win 9 games here despite all of his shortfalls speaks volumes about his coaching ability. If he could have stayed out of his own way and had been a little more organized on the recruiting trail, he could have done some really good things here.

an 0-8 Western Team that had not a lost an FCS game by more than 14 all season... Penguins beat them by 45...
The best you have is "they haven't lost by more than 14 to a FCS school this year"? Come on man, you do realize how weak that sounds right?

The best you have is "they haven't lost by more than 14 to a FCS school this year"? Come on man, you do realize how weak that sounds right?
Every team that the Penguinis have lost to are drastically better than their record indicates. Not just this year, but since Bo’s very first season at YSU.

Every. Single. Team.

Every team that the Penguinis have lost to are drastically better than their record indicates. Not just this year, but since Bo’s very first season at YSU.

Every. Single. Team.
It's the toughest conference in the country and Bo is the best coach in that conference, period.

It's the toughest conference in the country and Bo is the best coach in that conference, period.
you can be mocking all you want but the MVFC is so far above everyone else in FCS... anyone that follows it knows this. There was huge backlash last year when they only got 4 bids and gave the Colonial a bunch... who proceeded to crash and burn.

The first part of that sentence is unequivocally accurate- 4 teams in the top 10. The MVFC should probably get 7-8 selections every year into the playoffs, but they spend too much time beating each other up... same argument that happens every year in the SEC-W, except the MVFC is loaded top to bottom minus Mizzery State and Western Illinois. Indiana State is down a little this year, but I'd still say they're better than most teams in FCS (hence only losing to Kansas 24-17). Adding U of North Dakota Fighting Chicken Hawks next year will only add to the league- another top 25 team.

@huskon4ever... how do you feel about the trip to Ohio this weekend? Such a huge road win last week... think they might have a bit of let down? Been really close in Youngstown the last 2 trips.

Last edited:
@huskon4ever... how do you feel about the trip to Ohio this weekend? Such a huge road win last week... think they might have a bit of let down? Been really close in Youngstown the last 2 trips.

I'm a little nervous, truth be told. SDSU had the atmosphere with ESPN and all that, along with that being the scene of their last loss, so it wasn't overly difficult for them to get up for that one, but that could definitely lead to a let down. Youngstown or Southern Illinois to end the season will be their last big challenge before the playoffs, and with such a young team (graduated 23 last year), along with a new coach and a good bit of the coaching staff (the OC is a former RB who was in school when I was there), and a Freshman QB, I keep waiting for that game to happen. Trey Lance just has so much poise, far beyond his years, and the D just refuses to give in. To beat NDSU, you're going to have to not turn the ball over, and be able to light up the secondary but easier said than done with their pass rush.

I don't see them losing until we get into the playoffs, but it wouldn't shock me either to see them drop one of these last two away games before the year is up.

The first part of that sentence is unequivocally accurate- 4 teams in the top 10. The MVFC should probably get 7-8 selections every year into the playoffs, but they spend too much time beating each other up... same argument that happens every year in the SEC-W, except the MVFC is loaded top to bottom minus Mizzery State and Western Illinois. Indiana State is down a little this year, but I'd still say they're better than most teams in FCS (hence only losing to Kansas 24-17). Adding U of North Dakota Fighting Chicken Hawks next year will only add to the league- another top 25 team.
Somehow, teams like SDSU and NDSU manage to win very consistently.

I can only imagine how dominant they would be if they had the best HC in the conference.

Is this one of those transitive property things?
Not at all... but for all the laughing everyone seems to do... Bo would likely have 3 or 4 conference championships by now if his Penguins made the switch to the OVC (which is more geographically fitting). The MVFC is just extremely tough... I think the conference top to bottom is better than Conference USA the Sun Belt.

The current Sagarin predictor has Nebraska at 71.71

NDSU is 74.55
SDSU is 68.14
N Iowa 59.79
Ill St 58.85
YSU 54.86

So basically every one of these teams would be realistically within arms reach of beating Nebraska on any given weekend. Think about that for a second... Bo's Penguins with his terrible recruiting and 63 full scholarships would only be a 14-17 point underdog to Nebraska on a neutral field.

Not at all... but for all the laughing everyone seems to do... Bo would likely have 3 or 4 conference championships by now if his Penguins made the switch to the OVC (which is more geographically fitting). The MVFC is just extremely tough... I think the conference top to bottom is better than Conference USA the Sun Belt.

The current Sagarin predictor has Nebraska at 71.71

NDSU is 74.55
SDSU is 68.14
N Iowa 59.79
Ill St 58.85
YSU 54.86

So basically every one of these teams would be realistically within arms reach of beating Nebraska on any given weekend. Think about that for a second... Bo's Penguins with his terrible recruiting and 63 full scholarships would only be a 14-17 point underdog to Nebraska on a neutral field.

NDSU would beat Nebraska 9 times out of 10
SDSU would beat Nebraska 6-7 times out of 10

I strongly believe in the upper-tier FCS teams. They are better than a very large percentage of FBS teams. And it's the exact reasoning I used when stressing that Minnesota beating SDSU was a good win -- when others seemed to think "Gophers struggled to beat an FCS team -- hahah! Gophers stink!" SDSU would beat Nebraska this season if they played (we'll obviously get this matchup in 2020).

That said, using Nebraska as a measuring stick is not a good way to prop up FCS schools. Maybe YSU would only be a 15.5 pt dog to Nebraska -- but that speaks especially to the point that this is a really bad Nebraska team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back