• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Busch to be OFFICIALLY named ST Coordinator

The defense wasn’t as good as some here like to claim. They where slightly above average. They just impressed because the offense sucked so bad. GBR!!!!!
I have to wonder if teams had enough respect for Nebraska that they didn't try to bury us. They knew we would self destruct down the stretch somewhere

Man, I don't know. It wasn't elite, but it was pretty dang good. My biggest issue is they made some bad offenses look decent and then shut down some real potent offenses. Just a weird season all around.
Against the run they where good. Against the pass they where average. In the red zone they where good. On third and long they where putrid. I don’t believe that Chin is a good coach. The more I think about it, I believe the defense will be way worse next year. :Bananalazy:

No,the coaches were chopped for not putting their players in positions to win.

I won't disagree. It just seems some celebrate the "so close" aspect (and even specifically referencing the offense), yet we are starting over on that side of the ball. So it seems the 9 losses meant much more than the "so close" when making decisions regarding the staff.

If we're so close, then why did we fire our offensive assistants? That should be done if things aren't working -- not on the verge of something special. Right?
Is it not possible that in being close in games indicates some things being done relatively well, but also pointing out issues? "Verge of something special" is not a statement issued much. To win more games requires a smaller distinction in points compared to winning many or all games by a good amount. We are further from being special than we are from being effective. And "things aren't working" shouldn't represent all things, rather a specific "some".
You saw what we all did. Frost saw as well. He told you what you already knew, that is, he has attempted to shore up the areas we all spoke of. That as many coaches have been replaced doesn't necessitate them all being ineffective, though that is a possibility.
For instance, Frost determines the need for him surrendering play calls. That in turn requires a different OC than what he had. That OC also coached WOs. He might have been to Frost's liking as WO coach, but he gotta go. And to create room for a ST coach, gotta double duty somewhere. Would we have seen the same coaching moves had Tuioti not quit? Verdu may have suited Frost, but he wanted an OC play caller, and the vast bulk of those guys are QB coaches too. Verdu gotta go.
But the biggest reason so many heads rolled on O, according to Frost, was as enticement for that OC, that he might be able to choose his own peeps. That wasn't necessitated by Whipple, but Frost didn't know that when moves were made.

I won't disagree. It just seems some celebrate the "so close" aspect (and even specifically referencing the offense), yet we are starting over on that side of the ball. So it seems the 9 losses meant much more than the "so close" when making decisions regarding the staff.
True. We were close, but yet had no answers how to bridge the remaining gaps, instead repeating the same patterns of behavior that led to losing. Hopefully the new coaches are bringing new approaches to these issues, and we can get over the hump to a winning season in 2022.....

To be fair, "celebrate" wouldn't be the first descriptor I'd use. I haven't encountered anyone whom was satisfied with this year. If I understand you, your consternation lays with the disparity between "starting over" and being "so close". This invites defining both ideas.
The concept of "close" applies most crucially in the argument of retaining Frost or not. Those holding for "close" posit a better chance of getting where we want to go, and most agree on where, by keeping Frost. The single biggest rationale I can offer is lack of blow outs. Regardless of number of wins by previous coaches, every year was met with that game.
You know that game. It was the one where a season of thinking we had something ran headfirst into the reality that...we're not even close. Every blow out hammered the point home. We're not close to the big boys.
If someone has a coach in mind, proven at the P-5 level, who is willing to come here, ok. But that is not who we are going to get. So we are left with rolling the dice. It is not unreasonable to see those dice as likely to turn up sunshine with Frost as it is that they'd do so with a new hire.
As to starting over on O, a true do over means changing the type of personnel used. Don't know about that, doesnt seem so. And has the goal of hybridizing traditional power with spread gone away? Dont know that either. Its really hard to imagine any successful program making no adjustments between seasons, and we will be no different, but we likely don't start from scratch as did Frost when he arrived. We would be if he left.

That may actually be the truth right there. I don’t know if it was personnel or scheme but quarterbacks had forever in the pocket. I’m leaning towards scheme. I believe we have enough talent at linebacker to get pressure but rarely did they send them.
A little of both columns I think. I don't know that we had developed what we had. The good pass rushers have a lot of explosiveness and bend. I don't see that from our front. Maybe Nelson can develop into one.

Sure, I don't disagree. While at the same time HCSF has put together one of the most disciplined and fundamentally sound defenses together. I am sure Chins played a big role but if you want to blame HCSF for "so much deeper issues" then he has to be responsible for the success as well.
What success? Last I checked we won 3 games with our best team in Frost's tenure.

I'll shower him with accolades when they are deserving. I can't remember what success looks from a Nebraska football perpective at this point. Hope we see it soon!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back