• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Been avoiding this but finally spilling my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine:

Dispatcher: 911 what is your emergency?

Trev: I’d like to report a crime.

Dispatcher: What crime are you reporting?

Trev: well you see a couple of the women’s basketball players used subterfuge to gain access to an assistant coaches hotel room to catch another team member with the coach because they thought there may have been some hanky panky going on.

Dispatcher: ok.

Trev: yeah, I’m calling from Nebraska. The team was there for a game.

Dispatcher: was this reported at the time by the coach?

Trev: don’t think so.

Trev: oh yeah, they may have filmed the other team member in the room without her consent. I don’t know if any hanky panky was filmed.

Dispatcher: sir, how old were the team members and the coach?

Trev: they are all adults.

Dispatcher: Does the coach who’s room it was or the team member who was filmed want to make a complaint?

Trev: I have no idea, but people who don’t understand how this works thought I should call and report it so my ass was covered. None of the attorneys who are advising me and our institution have suggested I do this, but I’m sorta worried about what the ignorant folks think. And now, I’m covered. Have a good day.
Lol. You beat me by 3 minutes. We were typing at the same time.

Alberts: "Hello 911? I'd like to report two people having sex in a hotel."

911 Operator: "Sir, that's a strong allegation. Can you prove it?"
Alberts: "Yes. We have pictures."
911 Operator: "We'll be right there."

;)

I'd guess Alberts certainly was required to report this to the university's Title IX Coordinator. If it was me I'd do so within an hour of hearing of it. Then just do what they say.
If he didn’t, then he is stupid.

I asked if Trev should have called the police that night. What happened the next day or the next week is a completely different discussion.
We don’t even know if Trev knew that night. That is why it went unanswered.

Can you imagine:

Trev: well you see a couple of the women’s basketball players used subterfuge to gain access to an assistant coaches hotel room to catch another team member with the coach because they thought there may have been some hanky panky going on.

Trev: oh yeah, they may have filmed the other team member in the room without her consent. I don’t know if any hanky panky was filmed.

Dispatcher: Does the coach who’s room it was or the team member who was filmed want to make a complaint?

Trev: I have no idea, but people who don’t understand how this works thought I should call and report it so my ass was covered. None of the attorneys who are advising me and our institution have suggested I do this, but I’m sorta worried about what the ignorant folks think. And now, I’m covered. Have a good day.
In court

Scroggins lawyer. Mr Albert’s did you investigate the plaintiffs complaints of Mr loves sexual engagement with the client? Were you aware of the illegal actions of the players to obtain the video of them together? Did you address it or did you hope by not addressing it that it would go away?

This lawsuit is about the actions and how they handled it. Appearing to have just dismissed their actions will be at the heart of it. If you read the lawsuit it’s almost entirely about the universities inactions in its investigation. Trev should have notified the police and let them either do something or not. At least he can say he took action.

Last edited:

Can you imagine:

In the 90s I was covering a JUCO men's team from Nebraska. For the national semi-final one player was missing and another had bloody bandages on his neck.

I talked to one of the players and at the team meal the two got into an argument and one broke a glass and stabbed his teammate in the neck with it. Coach got the perp put of town before the police could get involved and that was the end of that. Nebraska later hired this coach.

Assault with a deadly weapon is the time to get the police involved, not relationship drama.

In the 90s I was covering a JUCO men's team from Nebraska. For the national semi-final one player was missing and another had bloody bandages on his neck.

I talked to one of the players and at the team meal the two got into an argument and one broke a glass and stabbed his teammate in the neck with it. Coach got the perp put of town before the police could get involved and that was the end of that. Nebraska later hired this coach.

Assault with a deadly weapon is the time to get the police involved, not relationship drama.
But someone may have been guilty! Or not.

Alberts: "Hello 911? I'd like to report two people having sex in a hotel."

911 Operator: "Sir, that's a strong allegation. Can you prove it?"
Alberts: "Yes. We have pictures."
911 Operator: "We'll be right there."

;)

I'd guess Alberts certainly was required to report this to the university's Title IX Coordinator. If it was me I'd do so within an hour of hearing of it. Then just do what they say.
You miss the entire point. It wasn’t about two people having sex in a hotel room. It was about Nebraska players intentionally misrepresenting themselves to fool the hotel staff to get a key. Then entering the room and filming them without their permission in a private setting. Then they shared it with at least one other 3rd party person. That information was then used for coach Williams to hold the players meeting where the rest of the team confronted the two in an abrasive/bullying manner.

The lawsuit is about how it was handled.

The rumor is about how the BOR feel about how Trev handled it, how much support he felt he was going to get from them and whether he felt he was going to have sufficient job security versus the Texas A&M job.

Arguing whether the police should have been called to aid in the investigation, even just to wash the hands of the University to avoid the optics would have been a sound decision that some BOR felt. At least according to rumor.

I personally don’t recall any serious disciplinary action around that time but something just gives me a gut feeling that legality wise the players actions were worse than the sexual engagement. Hence part of the lawsuit.

We don’t even know if Trev knew that night. That is why it went unanswered.
I'm asking about should Trev have called the police because of what you said in the OP.

The biggest thing for me is the Practice player imitating Coach Love to gain access to a room key and female players following him into the room to video the two of them together. I personally believe the first thing Trev should have done is called the police. This appears like a University cover up by not reporting it.

So again I ask why should he have called the police that night? If anyone should have called the police it would have been coach Love, but I'm sure he's just as soon keep it quiet. So I see no reason to feel the university was trying to cover it up by Trev not calling the police the night this occurred.

We could have a discussion about Trev trying to cover it up after everyone got home and he had a chance to hear all of the facts from everyone. But that discussion wouldn't have anything to do with not calling the local police the night it all happened. That's the point I've been trying to get across.

I'm asking about should Trev have called the police because of what you said in the OP.

The biggest thing for me is the Practice player imitating Coach Love to gain access to a room key and female players following him into the room to video the two of them together. I personally believe the first thing Trev should have done is called the police. This appears like a University cover up by not reporting it.

So again I ask why should he have called the police that night? If anyone should have called the police it would have been coach Love, but I'm sure he's just as soon keep it quiet. So I see no reason to feel the university was trying to cover it up by Trev not calling the police the night this occurred.

We could have a discussion about Trev trying to cover it up after everyone got home and he had a chance to hear all of the facts from everyone. But that discussion wouldn't have anything to do with not calling the local police the night it all happened. That's the point I've been trying to get across.
I can’t answer whether he should have called the police that night because I don’t know if he knew that night. I have never insinuated that it should have been that night.

I’m only telling the rumors I am hearing. I’m relaying the concerns of at least one regent that the actions by the players should have or could have been reported to the police for them to either do something or not do something. I would assume that regents comments was based on “when” Trev found out even if it was three days later.

I also added my PERSONAL opinion that I think it should have been the first thing Trev did.

Last edited:
I can’t answer whether he should have called the police that night because I don’t know if he knew that night. I have never insinuated that it should have been that night.

I’m only telling the rumors I am hearing. I’m relaying the concerns of at least one regent that the actions by the players should have or could have been reported to the police for them to either do something or not do something. I would assume that regents comments was based on “when” Trev found out even if it was three days later.

I also added my PERSONAL opinion that I think it should have been the first thing Trev did.
But it appears if anyone would call the police it would be the harmed party, and in this case that is coach Love not Trev.

Was listening to the ticket this morning and will admit I only caught the last half of a discussion of the topic of new athletic director Troy Dannen and what his plans are to work with the 1890 group. I'm unsure how much they talked regarding Trev's situation in the first part of their discussion but it was apparent from the discussion they were aware of some issues Trev was involved in.

So in all fairness to this response, I'll say the rumor forum is the perfect place for this and the timing of it based on local media already hinting at it and the time since Trev left. I'll add the people I have talked to about this are getting bits and pieces so I/we are connecting the dots here for you to either believe or not believe. Feel free to add to the story with your own dots.

Lets start out by saying on the surface Trev's departure caught a lot of people by surprise. We really struggled with how a Nebraska native could just up and jump from Nebraska to Texas A&M for no reason. Short of a reason, we as fans could understand, we speculated. Traitor, Liar and Fraud were among the most popular speculations. The truth of the matter is that behind the scenes it was anything but a rosey relationship. Ted Carter ran pretty good interference for Trev that eventually dwindled with his departure.

One of the biggest issues was relationship between Trev and a certain booster. I'm not going to give his name but most everyone will figure it out. The biggest issue is managing 1890. Trev wanted more control of it to include relocating 1890 from the 3rd floor of the new Hausman high rise on q street to an on-campus venue. This booster has been funding Matt Davison and the 1890 staff off their own payroll and for all practical purposes didn't believe it was real smart to make any stronger connection of the collation to the University for NCAA rules purposes. The optics just don't look good. Now this by itself isn't the whole reason for the strayed relations between this booster/BOR but it was one example given to me by a middle manager at this Industry owned by said booster. This booster was vocal behind the scenes wanting Trev gone.

Now to add to the story, the original contract that Trev signed the four months preceding his departure was primarily put together by Ted Carter and allowed Trev a lot of control with very little accountability. I believe there was a certain amount of buyer's remorse after the Amy Williams lawsuit came out. Don't underestimate how critical and dangerous this lawsuit is. Trev's departure might facilitate this being settled out of court as he could be the one falling on the sword. There is certainly some basis for exposure on the University side. The biggest thing for me is the Practice player imitating Coach Love to gain access to a room key and female players following him into the room to video the two of them together. I personally believe the first thing Trev should have done is called the police. This appears like a University cover up by not reporting it.

None the less, it was rumored to be that Trev had an issue with not feeling like he was getting enough support by the BOR. While most people speculated it was regarding fund raising, many insiders felt he had asked for more support and having his backside on the lawsuit and didn't receive that. To the point he felt it could be used as a reason to fire him. Because of this, its speculated when the A&M job came up, he jumped at the opportunity partially because of job security.

Now the weird thing to me that I can't fathom is how on earth did we get a new athletic Director hired with a pretty sophisticated contract put together and agreed upon in 6 days. Especially without an immediate supervisor above this position. I can understand his supervisor, the president, maintaining a short list but the people above him already having someone on their mind? This doesn't add up. Government doesn't move that fast. Unless it was expected.

I personally believe both Trev and his bosses, The Chanceler, the BOR and some influential boosters knew this relationship was strained and both were looking for a way out. I was never a critic of Trev's for his departure and I'm not a critic of what the people on top were trying to do to separate from him. It was a strained relationship that wasn't going to have a happy ending.
Interesting.

I feel like having 1890 on campus would have been a problem, if not now but in the future, when it comes to NCAA rules. I don't know enough about how the collectives work at other schools, but the general idea of a collective is that it is a separate entity from the school (even though everyone knows they do the schools/boosters bidding).

No one is ever going to have a 100% approval rating, especially in a position like his. I could see how Carter leaving, though, would put a strain with no one above him to deflect to or run interference.

I doubt Trev left solely because a President hadn't been put into place. I think there are a variety of reasons. The lawsuit, I'm sure, loomed heavily. I also think he has bigger aspirations than simply being an AD. With him applying for B1G commissioner and chair of the CFP, he might have learned that his resume is still pretty thin. By moving to a school with more financial resources, he can add some nice juicy bullet points to his resume.

The situation with the lawsuit, from what I have read, is kind of murky water. It's obvious the assistant in question should have been fired, but the finer points of the relationship they had quickly turned into a "he said, she said". The bigger question will be how much due diligence the athletic department did in the investigation. With something of this nature, you can't afford to just sweep things under the rug for this very reason (a lawsuit). If he knows he didn't handle things correctly, he definitely could have realized it might be grounds for termination and that he might be better off surviving it if he was employed elsewhere.

In the pain everyone experienced with him unexpectedly leaving, I think many were quick to romanticize or demonize Trev's time at Nebraska. He definitely did some good: got rid of Frost (didn't have much choice there), hired Rhule, Volleyball Day, keeping Hoiberg when others were calling for his head, among other things. That said, it isn't like he did things other ADs can't. Nebraska can be fine, or even better, without him. Doesn't mean we will, but it is definitely possible.

You miss the entire point. It wasn’t about two people having sex in a hotel room. It was about Nebraska players intentionally misrepresenting themselves to fool the hotel staff to get a key. Then entering the room and filming them without their permission in a private setting. Then they shared it with at least one other 3rd party person. That information was then used for coach Williams to hold the players meeting where the rest of the team confronted the two in an abrasive/bullying manner.

The lawsuit is about how it was handled.

The rumor is about how the BOR feel about how Trev handled it, how much support he felt he was going to get from them and whether he felt he was going to have sufficient job security versus the Texas A&M job.

Arguing whether the police should have been called to aid in the investigation, even just to wash the hands of the University to avoid the optics would have been a sound decision that some BOR felt. At least according to rumor.

I personally don’t recall any serious disciplinary action around that time but something just gives me a gut feeling that legality wise the players actions were worse than the sexual engagement. Hence part of the lawsuit.
I'm not sure how the laws work specifically around these things. I would agree with some other posters that the person with the most legal right to get the police involved would have been the assistant coach, since his room was technically broken into/illegal entered. As for the video, the account I read made it seem like she was in his room alone, waiting on him and they videoed their interaction/interrogation of her. This was obviously still not the correct way for this to be handled, but I'm not sure what legal recourse there is around videoing the conversation.

There doesn't seem to be any doubt that the athletes doing the "investigating" was an issue. That said, that portion deflects from the main issue which was the inappropriate relationship. Ultimately, the question is whether she was a victim or willing participant. The other question is whether or not the school truly investigated the matter or just quickly got rid of them both in an effort to save face. The way in which her lawsuit is presented, it definitely seems as if Nebraska was in the wrong. That said, most lawsuits sound that way when you only get one side of the story.

I'm not sure how the laws work specifically around these things. I would agree with some other posters that the person with the most legal right to get the police involved would have been the assistant coach, since his room was technically broken into/illegal entered. As for the video, the account I read made it seem like she was in his room alone, waiting on him and they videoed their interaction/interrogation of her. This was obviously still not the correct way for this to be handled, but I'm not sure what legal recourse there is around videoing the conversation.

There doesn't seem to be any doubt that the athletes doing the "investigating" was an issue. That said, that portion deflects from the main issue which was the inappropriate relationship. Ultimately, the question is whether she was a victim or willing participant. The other question is whether or not the school truly investigated the matter or just quickly got rid of them both in an effort to save face. The way in which her lawsuit is presented, it definitely seems as if Nebraska was in the wrong. That said, most lawsuits sound that way when you only get one side of the story.
Admittedly, I have not dove into this issue deeply. I do have one question, was there any punishment for the athletes and the practice player involved in getting the key and going into the room/taking video of the moment?

I hate to say it, but this sounds like a bit of weak leadership from the head coach.

Admittedly, I have not dove into this issue deeply. I do have one question, was there any punishment for the athletes and the practice player involved in getting the key and going into the room/taking video of the moment?

I hate to say it, but this sounds like a bit of weak leadership from the head coach.
Not sure. It might have been brushed under the rug since the focus ended up on the inappropriate relationship. The players obviously should have brought their concerns to the head coach or someone else in the athletic department, rather than taking matters into their own hands. That said, that opens up a different can of worms: did they bring these concerns to someone else first and have those concerns dismissed? Did they feel like they couldn't bring those concerns to someone's attention without some sort of proof? Were there signs that other coaches willfully ignored until the situation was brought to light by the players and they had hard evidence?

Again, I feel like focusing the attention on the players who uncovered what was going on distracts from the true issue. It doesn't mean that they should get a pass for the way they handled things, but you expect more out of adults (coaches/admin) than you do the 18-22 year old's (athletes).

When you have duplicitous levels of authorities we have no idea who or how this was handled.
If it were the police, it is public record, title nine, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back