• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Been avoiding this but finally spilling my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put less blame on the players. I understand they are "adults", but again, I have a much lower expectation of them to handle a matter like this appropriately than I do the head coach or athletic department. When it made its way to Williams attention, she should have immediately gotten the athletic department involved, and in turn the school's lawyers.

Again, getting one side of this story, it is obviously going to paint the defendants in a negative light. It doesn't mean that what is said is untrue or that I side with the University, it just means I'd be interested to also hear the other side of the story before rushing to judgement.
And then up the admin are going to be the key issues and what actions were taken by the University folks and Scroggins, or were not taken, being the others as it relates to the relationship between Scroggins and Love.

It will also be interesting to learn when Williams became aware, and exactly what she was made aware of. It's fairly apparent that other teammates had some suspicions, and acted on them. Was this information presented to Williams before or after?

The other thing to consider is that just because they found Scroggins in Love's room, maybe with or without Love being present, there does not appear to be an allegation that Scroggins or Love immediately acknowledged the truth of what was going on. Is just being in the room without evidence of anything else enough? Did Scroggins 'lie' about why she was there initially? Assuming some things, we may have had a situation where there were team rules violated, and suspicions of more, but no evidence of anything else.

I put less blame on the players. I understand they are "adults", but again, I have a much lower expectation of them to handle a matter like this appropriately than I do the head coach or athletic department. When it made its way to Williams attention, she should have immediately gotten the athletic department involved, and in turn the school's lawyers.

Again, getting one side of this story, it is obviously going to paint the defendants in a negative light. It doesn't mean that what is said is untrue or that I side with the University, it just means I'd be interested to also hear the other side of the story before rushing to judgement.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned on the players involved. If in fact some players thought extra playing time was given in exchange for the relationship, perhaps the players were afraid to go to the coach without proof for fear of not being believed. Also coach Love had been an assistant even before Nebraska so they know there are strong ties between coaches, so maybe they felt they needed something rock solid before going to the coach.

Their attempt may not have been the best way to do things, but I can kind of see why they took the tactic they did.

Please find any post where I said that my belief was that there wasn't even players going into the room. Why are you making things up? Why are you stating falsehoods? Are you intentionally misrepresenting what has been said; or, are you just unable to comprehend what has actually been stated?

This is why you have zero credibility. You either have no comprehension ability, or just make stuff up to fit whatever conversation it is you think you are having...maybe both, and you're just not able to figure it out. You're dishonest and misrepresent what people say.

I have no idea what this statement is supposed to mean:

Breaking it down:

Huh?

Funny...there is no evidence for or against (well actually, the appearance is against) things you have said in this thread.

I would ask you to describe what the vagueness is that you think I am referring to, but I'm sptiballing that you actually have absolutely no idea and are doing your best to try to sound informed.

If you really want fans to connect dots...you should at least attempt to provide the most accurate, realistic, and informed dots, rather than sounding like a group of old women at a coffee table that make stuff up as they go, and continually feed off and expand a narrative that isn't well thought out, is reactionary and otherwise ignorant. It's like connecting the dots to have people walk off a cliff...yep, you sure connected the dots...
Post 15 and 29

I'm not sure how the laws work specifically around these things. I would agree with some other posters that the person with the most legal right to get the police involved would have been the assistant coach, since his room was technically broken into/illegal entered. As for the video, the account I read made it seem like she was in his room alone, waiting on him and they videoed their interaction/interrogation of her. This was obviously still not the correct way for this to be handled, but I'm not sure what legal recourse there is around videoing the conversation.

There doesn't seem to be any doubt that the athletes doing the "investigating" was an issue. That said, that portion deflects from the main issue which was the inappropriate relationship. Ultimately, the question is whether she was a victim or willing participant. The other question is whether or not the school truly investigated the matter or just quickly got rid of them both in an effort to save face. The way in which her lawsuit is presented, it definitely seems as if Nebraska was in the wrong. That said, most lawsuits sound that way when you only get one side of the story.
Nebraska football had the unity council. We already established that athletes doing their own investigation and punishment is part of the tradition to handle team unity issues. There have been many athletes that have been exposed to uncomfortable details about their personal conduct in front of their teammates.

Scroggins and Love repeatedly lied to her teammates about the relationship. To the point that they knew she was lying and took measures to gain that proof. If they lost faith in her and couldn't trust her, then how is she going to stay on the team and be part of the team dynamic. She retained her scholarship, got a transfer, and continued playing elsewhere. And Nebraska did a good job of keeping the details quiet. Can anyone argue that this was not a better situation for her?

People need to take some responsibility. He was a coach sleeping with a student. She was an adult sleeping with a married man and where she knew the wife. I don't know the relationship his wife had with the other coaches and players, but if there was anything, I would be livid with her too for what she did.

Bottom line is he was canned and she was asked to not be part of the team. The school held up their end financially and she found a new environment that was better for her. Having a hard time seeing where the civil liability is.

Last edited:

Entering the lawsuit, I'm not sure they are required to go into that great a depth of detail. My assumption is those details would be presented and combed through during a trial (if it ever makes it there). My understanding with civil suits is also that the University isn't "innocent until proven guilty", that they pretty much have to prove they handled things the correct way.

If there was indeed no investigation, the University is in a bad spot. In matters like this, you need to go above and beyond proving you handled things appropriately and have a paper trail to back that up.
The original post is interesting to read. And, it is in the rumors forum. I read it as such.

Here is my take: Trev's first response had to have been to CONSULT THE UNIVERSITY'S LEGAL COUNSEL. Trev is an experienced, seasoned high level manager. I find it difficult to believe that upon learning of the allegations/actions regarding the women's basketball team he handled the situation outside of following advice from the University's lawyers.

Actually, you are the one hung up on it. I started a rumor in the rumor thread and you have been challenging the police part of it for about 5 pages now. You seem to think that this investigation of something "not in dispute" (the affair) is what the police contact would have been about. The police contact would have been about Trev covering their ass by contacting the police instead of looking the other way on criminal activity.
Covering his ass how exactly? Was he required to call the police? And say what? He heard something from someone? He's not sure why the alleged victim didn't come forward and he's not sure a crime was committed but he's calling anyway to report maybe something happening?

The original post is interesting to read. And, it is in the rumors forum. I read it as such.

Here is my take: Trev's first response had to have been to CONSULT THE UNIVERSITY'S LEGAL COUNSEL. Trev is an experienced, seasoned high level manager. I find it difficult to believe that upon learning of the allegations/actions regarding the women's basketball team he handled the situation outside of following advice from the University's lawyers.
I agree. I'm not anywhere near being in his position and that would have been my first reaction. When you are in a position like his, you deflect to the legal experts to protect yourself and the University. If he somehow didn't do that...goodness..

Nebraska football had the unity council. We already established that athletes doing their own investigation and punishment is part of the tradition to handle team unity issues. There have been many athletes that have been exposed to uncomfortable details about their personal conduct in front of their teammates.

Scroggins and Love repeatedly lied to her teammates about the relationship. To the point that they knew she was lying and took measures to gain that proof. If they lost faith in her and couldn't trust her, then how is she going to stay on the team and be part of the team dynamic. She retained her scholarship, got a transfer, and continued playing elsewhere. And Nebraska did a good job of keeping the details quiet. Can anyone argue that this was not a better situation for her?

People need to take some responsibility. He was a coach sleeping with a student. She was an adult sleeping with a married man and where she knew the wife. I don't know the relationship his wife had with the other coaches and players, but if there was anything, I would be livid with her too for what she did.

Bottom line is he was canned and she was asked to not be part of the team. The school held up their end financially and she found a new environment that was better for her. Having a hard time seeing where the civil liability is.
I don't completely disagree with you, but a lot of this comes down to whether she entered the relationship by force or not. If she was groomed, threatened, forced, or manipulated into it, she deserves to be treated with a lot more grace than someone who just willfully engaged in it.

He should have lost his job regardless, but if she was the victim, as her lawsuit outlines, it should have been handled in a different manner than if she was not one.

Good points on all - and pretty much where I’m at regarding this situation. It seems the University was reluctant to smear neither the player nor the coach, but simply to cut them loose and let all parties move on. Now a lawsuit has been filed and now the mud will be slung and all parties will get dirty. It’s a shame for all parties. I guess we’ll see…

And then up the admin are going to be the key issues and what actions were taken by the University folks and Scroggins, or were not taken, being the others as it relates to the relationship between Scroggins and Love.

It will also be interesting to learn when Williams became aware, and exactly what she was made aware of. It's fairly apparent that other teammates had some suspicions, and acted on them. Was this information presented to Williams before or after?

The other thing to consider is that just because they found Scroggins in Love's room, maybe with or without Love being present, there does not appear to be an allegation that Scroggins or Love immediately acknowledged the truth of what was going on. Is just being in the room without evidence of anything else enough? Did Scroggins 'lie' about why she was there initially? Assuming some things, we may have had a situation where there were team rules violated, and suspicions of more, but no evidence of anything else.
Being alone in a coach of the opposite sex's hotel room with the door closed (whether he was in there or not) would be a major no-no. That alone should have prompted an investigation, even if they both adamantly denied any wrongdoing. You can't even have the appearance that something like that could be going on if you are a male coach.

There has to be enough factual allegations contained in the complaint to put a defendant on notice of what they are defending against, and those allegations have to state a valid cause of action. Neither are difficult to achieve. That said, a lot can be gleaned from the allegations of the a complaint, how they are styled, what information that is alleged, and holes in the information that can be indicators of certain facts. For example, we have fairly detailed factual allegations about how access was gained to the room, but absolutely no reference to who was in the room and when the filming began.

Your understanding is incorrect. Scoggins has the burden of demonstrating that the university, and/or any of the individual defendants did something wrong. It's not a guilt or innocence thing either.

You talking about no investigation at all? Yeah, that's not a good look, but it also doesn't sound like that is what happened. Are you talking about some sort of separate investigation of the room hijinks? Don't think that was needed at all assuming there was an investigation as it relates to the issue.
This is the title nine approach. Guilty until you prove yourself innocent, but not a real courts approach thankfully

There has to be enough factual allegations contained in the complaint to put a defendant on notice of what they are defending against, and those allegations have to state a valid cause of action. Neither are difficult to achieve. That said, a lot can be gleaned from the allegations of the a complaint, how they are styled, what information that is alleged, and holes in the information that can be indicators of certain facts. For example, we have fairly detailed factual allegations about how access was gained to the room, but absolutely no reference to who was in the room and when the filming began.

Your understanding is incorrect. Scoggins has the burden of demonstrating that the university, and/or any of the individual defendants did something wrong. It's not a guilt or innocence thing either.

You talking about no investigation at all? Yeah, that's not a good look, but it also doesn't sound like that is what happened. Are you talking about some sort of separate investigation of the room hijinks? Don't think that was needed at all assuming there was an investigation as it relates to the issue.
The lawsuit stated that the University didn't order an investigation. If that it is true, which it might not be, that was an egregious error, especially if there were differing stories about what the relationship was or if there was any wrongdoing.

Something that could have happened is that there was an investigation but Scoggins wasn't interviewed or made aware of the investigation. This too would be an oversight to not try and gain an understanding from someone who might have been a victim in this situation.

The only way I can see not opening an investigation at all is if they both admitted to wrongdoing and she never mentioned that he had used his position of power as leverage over her. Even then, I struggle to believe that Nebraska's legal team would have simply let everything get swept under the rug, knowing a lawsuit could be possible.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on the players involved. If in fact some players thought extra playing time was given in exchange for the relationship, perhaps the players were afraid to go to the coach without proof for fear of not being believed. Also coach Love had been an assistant even before Nebraska so they know there are strong ties between coaches, so maybe they felt they needed something rock solid before going to the coach.

Their attempt may not have been the best way to do things, but I can kind of see why they took the tactic they did.
College kids don't have a track record of just making a lot of great decisions. If I was the University, I would have opened an investigation and met with every single member of the team to ask what they knew, suspected, told, etc. and at what point they had experienced those. Similarly, I would attempt to get to the root of why they felt like this was the best approach for the situation, not because you can fix what happened, but because it might be indicative of a larger cultural issue that needs to be addressed.

Thus the line between Scroggins and the team, perpetuated by Scroggins.
Being civil court this can carry a fair amount of weight in itself. No good actions were done here by any of the players involved, but the initiator was Scroggins.
Loves position was horrendous, betraying his athletes, his staff, the university and himself.
The existence of title nine exacerbates things like this imo.

The lawsuit stated that the University didn't order an investigation. If that it is true, which it might not be, that was an egregious error, especially if there were differing stories about what the relationship was or if there was any wrongdoing.

Something that could have happened is that there was an investigation but Scoggins wasn't interviewed or made aware of the investigation. This too would be an oversight to not try and gain an understanding from someone who might have been a victim in this situation.

The only way I can see not opening an investigation at all is if they both admitted to wrongdoing and she never mentioned that he had used his position of power as leverage over her. Even then, I struggle to believe that Nebraska's legal team would have simply let everything get swept under the rug, knowing a lawsuit could be possible.
Or over the team. If this is the case, and is the prime reasoning things like this aren't allowed, the team were the biggest losers here no matter how you slice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back