• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Been avoiding this but finally spilling my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Was listening to the ticket this morning and will admit I only caught the last half of a discussion of the topic of new athletic director Troy Dannen and what his plans are to work with the 1890 group. I'm unsure how much they talked regarding Trev's situation in the first part of their discussion but it was apparent from the discussion they were aware of some issues Trev was involved in.

So in all fairness to this response, I'll say the rumor forum is the perfect place for this and the timing of it based on local media already hinting at it and the time since Trev left. I'll add the people I have talked to about this are getting bits and pieces so I/we are connecting the dots here for you to either believe or not believe. Feel free to add to the story with your own dots.

Lets start out by saying on the surface Trev's departure caught a lot of people by surprise. We really struggled with how a Nebraska native could just up and jump from Nebraska to Texas A&M for no reason. Short of a reason, we as fans could understand, we speculated. Traitor, Liar and Fraud were among the most popular speculations. The truth of the matter is that behind the scenes it was anything but a rosey relationship. Ted Carter ran pretty good interference for Trev that eventually dwindled with his departure.

One of the biggest issues was relationship between Trev and a certain booster. I'm not going to give his name but most everyone will figure it out. The biggest issue is managing 1890. Trev wanted more control of it to include relocating 1890 from the 3rd floor of the new Hausman high rise on q street to an on-campus venue. This booster has been funding Matt Davison and the 1890 staff off their own payroll and for all practical purposes didn't believe it was real smart to make any stronger connection of the collation to the University for NCAA rules purposes. The optics just don't look good. Now this by itself isn't the whole reason for the strayed relations between this booster/BOR but it was one example given to me by a middle manager at this Industry owned by said booster. This booster was vocal behind the scenes wanting Trev gone.

Now to add to the story, the original contract that Trev signed the four months preceding his departure was primarily put together by Ted Carter and allowed Trev a lot of control with very little accountability. I believe there was a certain amount of buyer's remorse after the Amy Williams lawsuit came out. Don't underestimate how critical and dangerous this lawsuit is. Trev's departure might facilitate this being settled out of court as he could be the one falling on the sword. There is certainly some basis for exposure on the University side. The biggest thing for me is the Practice player imitating Coach Love to gain access to a room key and female players following him into the room to video the two of them together. I personally believe the first thing Trev should have done is called the police. This appears like a University cover up by not reporting it.

None the less, it was rumored to be that Trev had an issue with not feeling like he was getting enough support by the BOR. While most people speculated it was regarding fund raising, many insiders felt he had asked for more support and having his backside on the lawsuit and didn't receive that. To the point he felt it could be used as a reason to fire him. Because of this, its speculated when the A&M job came up, he jumped at the opportunity partially because of job security.

Now the weird thing to me that I can't fathom is how on earth did we get a new athletic Director hired with a pretty sophisticated contract put together and agreed upon in 6 days. Especially without an immediate supervisor above this position. I can understand his supervisor, the president, maintaining a short list but the people above him already having someone on their mind? This doesn't add up. Government doesn't move that fast. Unless it was expected.

I personally believe both Trev and his bosses, The Chanceler, the BOR and some influential boosters knew this relationship was strained and both were looking for a way out. I was never a critic of Trev's for his departure and I'm not a critic of what the people on top were trying to do to separate from him. It was a strained relationship that wasn't going to have a happy ending.

I imagine the situation at least twice as chaotic at aTm as it is here. If Trev rocked the boat too much here, I don't see fair and following seas for him at aTm.
Agreed - unfortunately for Trev. ALL of the schools in texas are textbook examples of how the meddling (obscenely) wealthy push their weight around. It will be a tightrope act to keep his job at AtM…

I imagine the situation at least twice as chaotic at aTm as it is here. If Trev rocked the boat too much here, I don't see fair and following seas for him at aTm.
Yea I would have to agree. It might work but I think he might need to tread gently.

At aTm you are always going to have powerful dissenting opposition and agreeable power approval. Things will get done there

IMO, there's always going to tension between the guy who wants to spend money (the AD) and the source of that money (donors) but things usually get worked out, barring extreme circumstances (e.g. flaming egos and new-age philosophies.)
Sounds like this lawsuit was the deciding factor in Trev's departure. I don't know why is isn't good enough to just come out and say, "we messed up, we'll make reparations, and we'll do better next time." Lawyers discouraging that, I suppose.

IMO, there's always going to tension between the guy who wants to spend money (the AD) and the source of that money (donors) but things usually get worked out, barring extreme circumstances (e.g. flaming egos and new-age philosophies.)
Sounds like this lawsuit was the deciding factor in Trev's departure. I don't know why is isn't good enough to just come out and say, "we messed up, we'll make reparations, and we'll do better next time." Lawyers discouraging that, I suppose.
I kind of think this opens the door to an out of court agreement. It allows the University to save face by blaming or directing it towards Trev and allows Scroggins a payoff and a little pound of flesh from a human being sacrifice.

I kind of think this opens the door to an out of court agreement. It allows the University to save face by blaming or directing it towards Trev and allows Scroggins a payoff and a little pound of flesh from a human being sacrifice.
Wasn't it likely it would have been settled out of court anyway? Maybe allows more wiggle room for the amount paid out?

Wasn't it likely it would have been settled out of court anyway? Maybe allows more wiggle room for the amount paid out?
Yes probably just as likely.....but often victims are trying to use the argument that the lawsuit is forcing change as they are saying its a bad system. When you are basically saying yea........we got rid of the bad apple. We know we still owe you but we are making corrections.

Yes probably just as likely.....but often victims are trying to use the argument that the lawsuit is forcing change as they are saying its a bad system. When you are basically saying yea........we got rid of the bad apple. We know we still owe you but we are making corrections.

Seems like Coach Love would be the “bad apple,” but I guess if Trev didn’t follow protocol, OR if the protocols in place in his department were insufficient, that could well fall on him.

Thanks for your thoughts, @Hville. I also thought it was very odd to have a new AD in place with a full contract so fast. Some people had to have a feeling this was coming.

Now to add to the story, the original contract that Trev signed the four months preceding his departure was primarily put together by Ted Carter and allowed Trev a lot of control with very little accountability. I believe there was a certain amount of buyer's remorse after the Amy Williams lawsuit came out. Don't underestimate how critical and dangerous this lawsuit is. Trev's departure might facilitate this being settled out of court as he could be the one falling on the sword. There is certainly some basis for exposure on the University side. The biggest thing for me is the Practice player imitating Coach Love to gain access to a room key and female players following him into the room to video the two of them together. I personally believe the first thing Trev should have done is called the police. This appears like a University cover up by not reporting it.

Where are you getting your information that the "practice player" went into the room? What police was Trev supposed to call? When did he become aware? What was the crime that the police needed called for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back