• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Barfknecht quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is young talent on defense, Bo must be keeping it under wraps because the upperclassmen on D left a lot to be desired. Minus David and Dennard, there is almost no possible way this defense gets better in 2012. And we are talking about a defense that gave up 450 yards plus routinely. 9-3 is optimistic for 2012.

If there is young talent on defense, Bo must be keeping it under wraps because the upperclassmen on D left a lot to be desired. Minus David and Dennard, there is almost no possible way this defense gets better in 2012. And we are talking about a defense that gave up 450 yards plus routinely. 9-3 is optimistic for 2012.

Is it coaching or talent? I'm not sure that the ceiling on coaching of the defense was approached this past season.

That's certainly what we HOPE. But there aren't more than a couple guys on the defensive side of the ball that you can say we've seen on the field and have a high degree of confidence that they can become all-conference type players. Green showed progress this year...who else that remains on defense that we've SEEN PLAY gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?
No one, although I think Rome can be a really good one. On offense, not many chances since it's the Rex and TM Show.

That's certainly what we HOPE. But there aren't more than a couple guys on the defensive side of the ball that you can say we've seen on the field and have a high degree of confidence that they can become all-conference type players. Green showed progress this year...who else that remains on defense that we've SEEN PLAY gives you a warm fuzzy feeling?

Lots of guys on d showed a lot of progress, but to your point at the beginning, what makes you think those listed teams have more young talent than NU?

How does a team that "routinely" gives up 450 yards per game average giving up 350 according to the stats? :confused:

Here's how we are potentially better: all guys in the program have another year in a system (the seniors 5th) and the offense improves (I.e. keeps d off field and put opposing teams at a point disadvantage, thus making opponents gamble more).

Ha... Barfy stirring the pot again, and getting under peoples skin. He has a point...and if there is all this young talent sequestered somewhere on the roster, I sure hope it starts to blossom soon. There are some lofty expectations out there for the team to actually win a conference title... or at the very least win the division. Nine wins are great, but the shiny hardware is better......

Barfknecht was always spewing negativity even when we were at the top.

He builds his own pile to be on top of.

The important part of the quote was "All those teams are loaded with top-flight young talent. The Huskers, it seems, not so much." Not much to debate there.

Yea, we suck.. why, oh why, did we join such an elite conference like the B1G? Huskers = KSU before PapaSnyder :rolleyes:

How does he know what talent we have? You'd think there are some players in that group of freshmen?

Last edited:

I'm not sure what Barfknecht means. I see lots of freshmen and sophomores contributing on this team. There are definitely holes (Will Linebacker) but pretty much every other position has an underclassman in the top 2. The team was talented enough to go 9-3 against one of the country's toughest schedules. I don't think we have to give up on the future just yet.

No young talent. Sure. You bet.

How does he know? He doesn't.

I've heard this from other pundits too, not just LB.

One thing they ignore -- a new league meant a new way of approaching defense. That has a big impact on young players. Plus, injuries to 2 of our 3 best defensive players hurt.

The offense was new, with a new OC.

9-3 in the BIG this year ain't nothing to be ashamed of.

We've got more young talent in the mix than anytime this past decade. Not sure what rosters pencil-neck is looking at.

I agree with you, particularly at the offensive skill positions. That said, I think Barfy is right about the future being bright for the 4 B!G teams mentioned.

How does a team that "routinely" gives up 450 yards per game average giving up 350 according to the stats? :confused:

Here's how we are potentially better: all guys in the program have another year in a system (the seniors 5th) and the offense improves (I.e. keeps d off field and put opposing teams at a point disadvantage, thus making opponents gamble more).

We gave up an average of 445 yards per game vs. the following:

440 to Fresno
420 to Washington
486 to Wisconsin
468 to N'Western
418 to Michigan

Without David, we'd have been lucky to go 7-5 this year. Our schedule is every bit as tough if not tougher next year (Southern Miss and Ark St. are not cupcakess) and we lose our two best defensive players. Add in that we will have yet another new coach on D, and I'm sticking with 9-3 as best-case for 2012. I'd be very happy with 8-4.

Last edited:

well if the talent is there ..then it must be poor coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back