• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

With Riley's sense of urgency to upgrade and win now, I wonder what kind of timeline he has left for himself as a head coach? Win a Natty and retire if he can get NU there? 3-5 years left? 5-7? Interesting to think about with the 3 staff changes he's made.

With Riley's sense of urgency to upgrade and win now, I wonder what kind of timeline he has left for himself as a head coach? Win a Natty and retire if he can get NU there? 3-5 years left? 5-7? Interesting to think about with the 3 staff changes he's made.

Whatever the motivation is, I like it. He isn't waiting to make bold moves.

Riley said he came here to win and to hire staff that could recruit and that could teach. The assistants who were fired demonstrated that they were lacking in one aspect or the other. I guess if being "true to your word"="Kowtowing" then you are correct.
You have to admit - two years in the books, playing with Bo's recruits - that it's not much of an opportunity for the coach to show what he could do at a 'name' university with all of the great facilities.

Its simply an admission that it was the wrong hire on Day 1. (Or a hire made prior to Billy Devaney's arrival)

Last edited:
You have to admit - two years in the books, playing with Bo's recruits - that it's not much of an opportunity for the coach to show what he could do at a 'name' university with all of the great facilities.

Its simply an admission that it was the wrong hire on Day 1. (Or a hire made prior to Billy Devaney's arrival)

Wait, so it was MR's decision?

I understand the nature of big-time football and the tenuous nature of coaching jobs. I heard a head basketball coach say once, right after he signed his initial contract, "I've already been fired. They just haven't written in the date yet." It's a tough business.

Maybe Banker needed to go. I'm not versed well enough on being a DC to know. But having been fired a couple of times myself, I always feel bad both for the guy who gets let go and for his family.

Last edited:
I think MR simply read the Article a few weeks ago about NU's previous coaches...then his decision was made.:Sarcasm:

Could be that HCMR and ADSE have a way of working in respectful conjunction with each other instead of stubborn resistance. Perhaps it was one guy's initiative, and then communication and joint strategy happened you know for like the good of the program, and suddenly both are on the same page. Who the hell cares if what's next is marked improvement. Peace and harmony can be beneficial.

I can go part way here. I think he is seeing that the fols he worked with in the past may not be the best for this particular situation. It is natural in any management to initially surround yourself with people you are comfortable with. The you weed out the ones are are not meshing in the new environment.

I can go part way here. I think he is seeing that the fols he worked with in the past may not be the best for this particular situation. It is natural in any management to initially surround yourself with people you are comfortable with. The you weed out the ones are are not meshing in the new environment.

In the same sense, there probably was a sense of comfortability and minimal standards at OSU. I would hope MR set expectations when he came to NE with his staff of what needed to change in their approach from OSU. I highly think a big part of that was recruiting as well as results on the field. If you look at who has been let go or left the staff:
Hughes - no recruits brought in last class, lost some upperclassmen (not sure this can all be put on him) and the result on the field was not positive
Read - results on the field were not difference makers and tended to lean towards negative impact this past season
Stewart - No recruits tied to current class. Results on the field were positive but everyone knew he was wanting a DC job. Interesting to move to Rice and likely take a pay cut for what would be considered a sideways move?
Banker - No recruits tied to current class although I think he may have had a hand in recruiting the last two years was not the lead recruiter. Improvement YoY but in big games (minus Wisconsin) the defense was a liability.

There definitely seems to be a theme.

I think he let everyone know when he brought them over here that they were on a short leash. He wants to win, and win now. He'd seen promise in Banker over the course of his career, but also knew that his recent defenses had not been that good. So he gave his old friend a 2-year to show what he could do. The defense showed improvement from 2015 to 2016, but still had two really embarrassing performances. I wouldn't have had a problem with giving Banker one more year, but watching the tackling the last two games really unnerved me. It was horrendous.

Any time you lose a game the natives get restless. Big Red fans are among the worst for this. Riley seems to know where he is going and doesn't need our carping 24 hours a day

I'm not carping. I just think that's the reality of the situation. You listen to people here talk about MR getting one, maybe two more years to prove himself and it's no stretch to say this needs to be a splash hire. I like the way MR is doing things and I'm impressed by his willingness to make these tough decisions.

Anything to take a dig right? Transparent and boring.

Whoever MR hires had better be a home run because he won't get another shot at this. I support MR but it's clear the natives are restless.
Not true....a few of the critics are restless....especially the Bopologists. The rest of the fan base is reasonable and patient. MR is doing what he thinks will improve the program, unlike some coaches who fire coaches to save their butts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back