• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

Everyone is looking for a good DC all the time. They are hard to find, and generally want to brring along their D staff, which in our case would be too bad. We have two or three good position coaches on that side of the ball, and I'd hate to see any of them leave because the new guy was bringing in his guys.

Let's be completely honest - Riley has been kowtowing to the administration since Day 1.

FB administration does want to pay coaches bonuses for a bowl game in year 1, Riley publicly supported it. Defense improves in year 2 and all of the sudden he decides to fire his long time assistant coach? Year 2 with all of Bo's recruits? Brutal.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but this isn't 100% Riley's program.

Last edited:

While I agree that there is some of the staff from the get-go that weren't looking the part, I think it's tough to just assemble an unbelievable staff instantly. Really only two people were let go, and that's Banker and Hughes. Stewart wants a coordinator job. It's really tough to put together 9 coaches in a couple weeks, you aren't going to get every single one right, and frankly, sometimes better people come along in year 2 than who were available when you were first assembling. Williams had only been recruiting for 2 years when Riley first assembled his staff, but since we got him now, he has 4 years of experience and a recruiting coordinator position under his belt.
This is way to much logic.

Let's be completely honest - Riley has been kowtowing to the administration since Day 1.

FB administration does want to pay coaches bonuses for a bowl game in year 1, Riley publicly supported it. Defense improves in year 2 and all of the sudden he decides to fire his long time assistant coach? Year 2 with all of Bo's recruits? Brutal.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but this isn't 100% Riley's program.
So did you have a bug in Riley's office or SE office? If the answer is neither than you really have no idea. So unless yoou have a link than this would qualify as a rumour violating the rules of the board.

So did you have a bug in Riley's office or SE office? If the answer is neither than you really have no idea. So unless yoou have a link than this would qualify as a rumour violating the rules of the board.
LMAO. All facts. Really what does it matter who is pulling the strings? As long as the 'right' calls and hires are made.

LMAO. All facts. Really what does it matter who is pulling the strings? As long as the 'right' calls and hires are made.

I seriously doubt Eichorst or any other administrator is forcing Riley to fire anyone. It's more likely that Riley wants to win and win now and it is with that sense of urgency that he's making moves he believes to be necessary.

I seriously doubt Eichorst or any other administrator is forcing Riley to fire anyone. It's more likely that Riley wants to win and win now and it is with that sense of urgency that he's making moves he believes to be necessary.
Sure that's possible, but I tend to believe he's getting some strong advice.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it played out . . . I'm sure details will eventually come out. I don't really even care. But Riley took a risk with Banker from the get-go, especially given his largely-mediocre defenses over the course of a long career and the fact that keeping Banker on board at OSU was absolutely putting heat on Riley because of the lack of performance. When Riley comes to NU, he probably felt more comfortable going with the devil he knew to get his footing. Maybe there was some more clear discussion around what was expected and that things needed to be improved? Maybe there wasn't?

Regardless, the defense was abysmal last year . . . and by the end of the year, it was not very good. In the 4 biggest games, they were solid in one . . . atrocious in 3 others. Yes, there were depth issues. But it sounds like Banker wasn't strong on the recruiting trail and the performance just wasn't going to cut it. Riley doesn't have much time to turn things around given his age and what is expected here. So he made a tough choice.

No idea who he brings on board. I just know that I'm tired of "experienced" DCs (Coz & Banker) with poor track records being brought in with the belief that they are somehow going to get it at NU. I also would not be thrilled with someone short on experience (Pap) being asked to cut his teeth here. So not sure where you go with that, but Riley will have to live or die based on this hire and I hope he lands a guy who can light a fire under the Blackshirts--finally--and also recruit strong.

I'm sure he's had conversations, but he doesn't seem like he would fire his friends unless he felt it was a move that had to be made.
Trying to talk logic to some posters is like trying to get a kid to eat brussel sprouts. It may happen occasionally but your are usually just wasting your time.

Interesting. Care to expand on that? Seems like they held their own. Banderas led the team in tackles, Rose Ivey at third. They certainly made mistakes, but, everyone does. I wouldn't call their play extraordinary, but, it certainly wasn't terrible.
The backers weren't terrible but they are not the great group we need to get to the next level, slow, and not overly physical IMO. Young #5 was flat out bad in the bowl game.

Last edited:

I agree with others that say we need to make sure we hire a VERY good D coordinator and pay the money. Someone with ties in the south would be ideal, we need to expand beyond California with recruiting. Scary but exciting times ahead. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back