• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ATH J.D. Crisp - N

How good of coaches have we had the last 10 years?

It's easier to stick around for a winner than stick around for a loser. We start winning they won't be leaving.

On the flip side, I wonder if we could get players to stick around, we might start winning? Chicken or egg? Or both?

If anyone can get it done, it's Rhule.
IMO its why were seeing such low attrition now. He's shown guys who are putting in the work they get at least a shot or two, and of those, many are making plays.
This leaves the very few very high hopes theyre next man up. No reason to end it at second string, just play the players you have.
Done wisely, you're a better team

Last edited:
He might have been a little bit of a reach based on his rating. A 5.6 on Rivals and not ranked nationally or in the State of Texas. Staff took a flyer based on speed. I suspect the coaches backed off given their numbers.

Ever notice that our recruits are all-world when they commit, and we can't even remember their name when they decommit?

:Taunt:

Seriously though, I think DONU needs to give up recruiting the southern states. Those players aren't going to stick around when mom and dad have to travel 10-12 hours to their nearest home game. That ship sailed a good while back.

You can't be...serious.

I can't say about W. Texas but to me DFW is basically Nebraska with better weather, bigger hats, spicier food, and a whole lot more high schoolers to choose from.

You can't be...serious.

I can't say about W. Texas but to me DFW is basically Nebraska with better weather, bigger hats, spicier food, and a whole lot more high schoolers to choose from.

If we can successfully recruit and retain Texas kids I am all in. I don’t think we can, however.

Ever notice that our recruits are all-world when they commit, and we can't even remember their name when they decommit?

:Taunt:

Seriously though, I think DONU needs to give up recruiting the southern states. Those players aren't going to stick around when mom and dad have to travel 10-12 hours to their nearest home game. That ship sailed a good while back.
So you're saying that we should just back off anyone that doesn't live in the west central region (NE, ia, ks, mo, co, sd, mn)?

On the commit/decommit end of things, yeah, we've got some folks that think everyone we sign is a rock star to be sure. We've also got some that downgrade anyone we sign, so I take all of it with a grain of salt.

I disagree on the recruiting the South piece.

We really need to continue to establish relationships and re-build a history of recruiting Texas and the South so High School staffs don't consider us an outlier for their players. Some of our most important players from the past came from Southern states. I do think it's very important to recruit and sign the kids who're really interested and from the history with JD, I'm not sure that was the case here. Likely just enamored with the staff and his first D1 offer....until he wasn't.
Yep, someone wi$pered in his ear and he listened.

So you're saying that we should just back off anyone that doesn't live in the west central region (NE, ia, ks, mo, co, sd, mn)?
That is correct.

There's a statistic out there somewhere and I need to find it, but retention of players from outside of a certain radius is greatly reduced, and that applies to any school.

Different situation, but Mike Gundy has a "6 hours" rule I believe at OSU. He's found they don't successfully retain players outside of that. Of course, that gets him DFW, KS, KC, OKC, Tulsa, the Texas panhandle, and in the case of Zane Flores, the eastern part of Nebraska. Most of OSU's players are from Texas and Oklahoma.

If I am Nebraska, I first want to reclaim my state and get all of the Nebraska kids I want. I want to be a player in the KC and St. Louis metros, get my share from Kansas, and get an occasional kid from Oklahoma. Denver *might* be viable. Texas? Sounds good, but no way. We don't play in Texas, nor in any state bordering Texas, anymore.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back