• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ATH J.D. Crisp - N

So I went back to 2014. Seniors before that were recruited to the Big 12. Eleven total Texans on our roster that played all the way through.

Hey if Matt Rhule can make it work, he'll be the first one of our Big 10 coaches to do so, and I hope he does.
We have one frosh AA from Texas, one from Staten Island.

But understand, distance is only an issue if you let it be. Commonality of region plays a larger role

I am probably totally wrong. But I do live in Texas. When we were in the Big 12, Nebraska was a thing here. Lots of game watch sights, apparel, bumper stickers, etc. That's not true anymore - Nebraska isn't top of mind with good high school players in TX because they have no exposure to NU.

I am probably totally wrong. But I do live in Texas. When we were in the Big 12, Nebraska was a thing here. Lots of game watch sights, apparel, bumper stickers, etc. That's not true anymore - Nebraska isn't top of mind with good high school players in TX because they have no exposure to NU.
Looking at it from a recruits pov is totally different

Ever notice that our recruits are all-world when they commit, and we can't even remember their name when they decommit?

:Taunt:

Seriously though, I think DONU needs to give up recruiting the southern states. Those players aren't going to stick around when mom and dad have to travel 10-12 hours to their nearest home game. That ship sailed a good while back.

On the commit/decommit end of things, yeah, we've got some folks that think everyone we sign is a rock star to be sure. We've also got some that downgrade anyone we sign, so I take all of it with a grain of salt.

I disagree on the recruiting the South piece.

We really need to continue to establish relationships and re-build a history of recruiting Texas and the South so High School staffs don't consider us an outlier for their players. Some of our most important players from the past came from Southern states. I do think it's very important to recruit and sign the kids who're really interested and from the history with JD, I'm not sure that was the case here. Likely just enamored with the staff and his first D1 offer....until he wasn't.
Im 4 pages behind so maybe already echoed but if we quit recruiting the south we might as well fold up shop now and save those millions (from stadium renovations) for psychotherapy.
As for the “great get gone forgotten” piece it’s spot on. I get the pro Nebraska side of it but it’s literally comical.

Im 4 pages behind so maybe already echoed but if we quit recruiting the south we might as well fold up shop now and save those millions (from stadium renovations) for psychotherapy.
As for the “great get gone forgotten” piece it’s spot on. I get the pro Nebraska side of it but it’s literally comical.

Yeah my point was, the Texas guys aren’t sticking since we left the Big 12. We’ve graduated 11 Texans that played four years here since 2015. So an average of less than 1.5 per year.

We can debate “why” that has been. Maybe Rhule can change it. We all hope so.

Last edited:

We haven't had many Texas players on the roster the last few years because Riley and Frost didn't target it like Rhule is. Riley went after California (Calibraska) and Frost went after Florida (going back to his UCF days).

The notion that we can't be successful recruiting Texas is silly because we haven't tried very hard the last several years.

We haven't had many Texas players on the roster the last few years because Riley and Frost didn't target it like Rhule is. Riley went after California (Calibraska) and Frost went after Florida (going back to his UCF days).

The notion that we can't be successful recruiting Texas is silly because we haven't tried very hard the last several years.
Bingo. That was the first thing I stated as well but it went completely ignored as it dismantles the original argument.

Yeah my point was, the Texas guys aren’t sticking since we left the Big 12. We’ve graduated 11 Texans that played four years here since 2015. So an average of less than 1.5 per year.

We can debate “why” that has been. Maybe Rhule can change it. We all hope so.
I was looking at one of The Oneders threads that includes everyone who has transferred out, which I think tracked back to players recruited in 2018 and on. I was also going mostly off memory of where the kids were from so I could be off, but I counted up 7-8 who have transferred out from Texas, which also averages a little less than 1.5 year.

While you and I are using different sample sizes, you combine the two and we're looking at about a 50% rate of players from Texas sticking til graduation. This is pretty in line with the overall statistics for graduation rate from recruits, so it doesn't seem like Texas guys are leaving here at a higher rate than the norm.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back