• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another new hire...Director of Football Creative & Engagement Orah W. Garst II

One more addition to the Athletic Department’s football circus to fuel the obsession. Meanwhile, back at the farm, every time there is a shortfall in state government revenues, the legislature makes cuts to the acedemics that are vital to the credibility of the concept of “higher education through a University system. And yes, I know that the Athletic Department revenue is separate and independent from State government. It is a reflection of societal priorities. Just saying........

Truth is, what the truth is.

Last edited:

One more addition to the Athletic Department’s football circus to fuel the obsession. Meanwhile, back at the farm, every time there is a shortfall in state government revenues, the legislature makes cuts to the acedemics that are vital to the credibility of the concept of “higher education through a University system. And yes, I know that the Athletic Department revenue is separate and independent from State government. It is a reflection of societal priorities. Just saying........

And your truth is not truth at all. The athletic programs at UNL. (Not all colleges but UNL) Helps to support the shortfalls in the rest of the college. So investing in athletics in the case of UNL is investing in educational support. So everything you said in reference to this team and this board is wrong.

Where's the truth here? The AD actually puts money back into the school. If you don't like it, vote other people into offices, run yourself, or donate money only to the academic side.

I am also an NU Alum. Just saying we, as a society, have our priorities screwed up.
Maybe, but I don't think this is an example.

We've created an opportunity for people to go to college for free, some of whom could not have otherwise attended college. We then took that opportunity and made enough money off of it to help fund the school which supports more opportunity for people to "get better" in life.

If football didn't exist, do you think the school would have more or less money overall? Do you think people would be donating to the school instead of the football program? Probably not, they would just keep the money or maybe give it to another charity.

I am also an NU Alum. Just saying we, as a society, have our priorities screwed up.

That statement is very hard to argue with. While sports are hard work as well, I believe people see it as a quick 'out' of whatever situation they are in. Come from a poor area, play ball, get a scholarship and go to the pro's and make a lot of money. Which I believe we all know is very hard to achieve. I wish academics were pushed more at a very early age. This discussion could go on forever so back on topic.

good luck to this dude, make Nebraska proud.

Maybe, but I don't think this is an example.

We've created an opportunity for people to go to college for free, some of whom could not have otherwise attended college. We then took that opportunity and made enough money off of it to help fund the school which supports more opportunity for people to "get better" in life.

If football didn't exist, do you think the school would have more or less money overall? Do you think people would be donating to the school instead of the football program? Probably not, they would just keep the money or maybe give it to another charity.

The same people who complain about taxes are the same ones who spend hundreds or thousands on entertainment. Yet we can't afford to pay teachers, fire fighters, and other essential governmental services.

The same people who complain about taxes are the same ones who spend hundreds or thousands on entertainment. Yet we can't afford to pay teachers, fire fighters, and other essential governmental services.
Brother, with all do respect, take it to Hot Topics. I hear enough crap spewed from the media each and every day about how bad our society is and how we have our priorities screwed up. Just a few times a day I like to escape from that garbage and read about Husker Football.

You're veering off here or perhaps I'm not following you very well.

What does complaining about taxes have to do with how spending discretionary income and how do either really relate to society placing too much emphasis on football?

We afford to pay all of those people just fine. Teachers make plenty of money (including benefits) in most states especially when you consider it's a 9 month a year job with built in vacation days that very few other jobs give.

Is your point that if society would stop funding football, it would then spend more money on teachers, police, etc...? I hope you realize that the two aren't intertwined at all and I don't believe for a minute that it would happen. Especially in Nebraska where NO tax dollars go to NU sports.

I
You're veering off here or perhaps I'm not following you very well.

What does complaining about taxes have to do with how spending discretionary income and how do either really relate to society placing too much emphasis on football?

We afford to pay all of those people just fine. Teachers make plenty of money (including benefits) in most states especially when you consider it's a 9 month a year job with built in vacation days that very few other jobs give.

Is your point that if society would stop funding football, it would then spend more money on teachers, police, etc...? I hope you realize that the two aren't intertwined at all and I don't believe for a minute that it would happen. Especially in Nebraska where NO tax dollars go to NU sports.
IF you don't understand, no sense continuing this conversation.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back