• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andrew Ward ( LB) leaving NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't given anyone the "ol' what for."

The guys leaving now, as opposed to McMullen, have reached and understanding with the new coaching staff...they won't be missed. And, Decker really wasn't the starter until Conrad was injured, though that is irrelevant here.
There's some truth here, because it's hard to reach an understanding when your defensive coordinator never even bothered talking to you.

don't believe it's black and white decision or reason for any departure. hope it works out for the best in each case. do believe it usually dose.

Haven't given anyone the "ol' what for."

The guys leaving now, as opposed to McMullen, have reached and understanding with the new coaching staff...they won't be missed. And, Decker really wasn't the starter until Conrad was injured, though that is irrelevant here.

And that would make him a starter, also known as a contributor. Decker announced he could no longer accommodate the requirements of football after assessing his career goals. McMullen announced he would rather focus his energy on pursuing his goal of mentoring kids after he had received his degree.

If you have information that is different feel free to post it, spouting off random assumptions based on nothing doesn't count. If you do not have said information I will patiently hit refresh on the Decker thread every five seconds until I see you do your duty and put these kids in their place.

And that would make him a starter, also known as a contributor. Decker announced he could no longer accommodate the requirements of football after assessing his career goals. McMullen announced he would rather focus his energy on pursuing his goal of mentoring kids after he had received his degree.

If you have information that is different feel free to post it, spouting off random assumptions based on nothing doesn't count. If you do not have said information I will patiently hit refresh on the Decker thread every five seconds until I see you do your duty and put these kids in their place.
Awesome

I don't think that is it at all. SF and the staff have a culture and program that they are trying to build. Some guys will buy-in 100% and be confident that they are in the right place. Some guys may not feel comfortable and decide to look elsewhere. It is better that they do that and open up a scholarship, honestly. Another possibility is that they really want to play, but find themselves buried in the depth chart and decide that they want to test the water somewhere else. Frankly, that might be best for everyone involved. Roster turnover is commonplace in college football.

These are 18-22 year-olds in a program that had a major upheaval. Stands to reason some guys would move on.

Whether we like it or not, this was always going to be a major rebuild. That gets a little bit easier if guys that don't want to be there move on.
I’m not disagreeing with most of your post but I was responding to a few posts about Ward not being committed. Do we know that? Lots of kids leave a lot of programs for a lot of reasons. Assuming they leave NU ONLY because they can’t hack it is unfair IMPO.

McMullen wasn't asked to leave and even stayed for a year. He was a total quitter who bailed on his teammates knowing his PT would have been huge. The guys we're losing now are those who've met a mutual understanding with the coaches, they aren't high, or any, priority to the team.
I disagree. I have it on good authority that he just didn't like the direction of the new staff. And since so many within the administration and the fan base at that time did he didn't feel he was a good fit.

I was reading the Hail Varsity Most Intriguing Players article on Adrian Martinez, and noticed on one of his touchdown runs (the one where he dives for the pylon) that he faked a linebacker out of his shoes with a simple cut and I wondered who that linebacker was. I checked the roster - it was Andrew Ward.

I don't know if that play had anything to do with him wanting to transfer out, but it couldn't have helped his confidence.

https://giphy.com/gifs/nebraska-huskers-p4e0mPBE5wmoiElS1s?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https://hailvarsity.com/s/3919/the-10-most-intriguing-2018-huskers-no-1-adrian-martinez

Edit: sorry I'm not better at embedding video links.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

C

Last edited:
I was reading the Hail Varsity Most Intriguing Players article on Adrian Martinez, and noticed on one of his touchdown runs (the one where he dives for the pylon) that he faked a linebacker out of his shoes with a simple cut and I wondered who that linebacker was. I checked the roster - it was Andrew Ward.

I don't know if that play had anything to do with him wanting to transfer out, but it couldn't have helped his confidence.

https://giphy.com/gifs/nebraska-huskers-p4e0mPBE5wmoiElS1s?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https://hailvarsity.com/s/3919/the-10-most-intriguing-2018-huskers-no-1-adrian-martinez

Edit: sorry I'm not better at embedding video links.
I doubt getting juked on one play caused him to do anything. If that were the case, we would lose everyone on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back