• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andrew Ward ( LB) leaving NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can't be surprising to the board that SF is out to ensure his team is loaded with guys that are totally dedicated to football and winning a championship in his system. Paring down those that are not all-in or can't/won't contribute is all part of the deal. Letting them leave gracefully and seemingly on their own terms is good for maintaining morale. We should learn to quit making a big deal about it...it is new to Nebraska, but necessary. As the transition progresses there will likely be fewer departures.

It can't be surprising to the board that SF is out to ensure his team is loaded with guys that are totally dedicated to football and winning a championship in his system. Paring down those that are not all-in or can't/won't contribute is all part of the deal. Letting them leave gracefully and seemingly on their own terms is good for maintaining morale. We should learn to quit making a big deal about it...it is new to Nebraska, but necessary. As the transition progresses there will likely be fewer departures.

Good to see you've turned a corner after branding McMullen a quitter.

Ward isn’t dedicated to football? Attrition is new to Nebraska?

My post was not directed at the player, but rather the thought that some of this attrition is due to the new expectations, which is part of a coaching change. Its was not a knock on the guy...but speculation on whether the previous regime (which I supported) was expecting too little of its players. I think...based on the results in Lincoln and the results in Orlando...that its probably pretty likely.

But that is also saying or at least implying that the transferring player can't cut it...doesn't want to work hard etc. It's not fair because it could just be that he sees we have a lot of good young LBs and he probably won't get much playing time. If we don't know it's best to give benefit of the doubt to the players. IMO.

I don't recall it being new to NU, especially with a new HC coming in. Off the top of my head I remember quite a few RBs transferring that were once highly regarded and that wasn't even during a transition. The transfers get my benefit of the doubt and if I do have any negative assumptive doubts I keep them to myself. Seems like the fair thing to do.

Many of these recruits were top dogs in high school without really putting in much effort but when they get to college it's a different story. The players leaving weren't recruited by Frost I believe he's recruiting players with a passion for the game. If you recruit a talented kid who loves to play and has gotten better each year you lay the groundwork for winning. Frost is a very smart young coach he's surrounded himself with passionate,hardworking coaches and will continue to recruit the same kind of player.

And all this is just blowing smoke because you have no clue why individual players are leaving but pick this theory as “ the one.”

I don't recall it being new to NU, especially with a new HC coming in. Off the top of my head I remember quite a few RBs transferring that were once highly regarded and that wasn't even during a transition. The transfers get my benefit of the doubt and if I do have any negative assumptive doubts I keep them to myself. Seems like the fair thing to do.
There are a lot of assumptions being made, mostly negative, with regard to some of these transfers. Apparently, if you transfer out of NU, you can’t cut it in football. If you transfer in, you’re the bees knees.

Good to see you've turned a corner after branding McMullen a quitter.
McMullen wasn't asked to leave and even stayed for a year. He was a total quitter who bailed on his teammates knowing his PT would have been huge. The guys we're losing now are those who've met a mutual understanding with the coaches, they aren't high, or any, priority to the team.

McMullen wasn't asked to leave and even stayed for a year. He was a total quitter who bailed on his teammates knowing his PT would have been huge. The guys we're losing now are those who've met a mutual understanding with the coaches, they aren't high, or any, priority to the team.

Huh. I guess the Michael Decker who just announced his retirement from FB is not the same Michael Decker who started a C last year. Either that or you need to get over to the Michael Decker thread and give him the ol' what for.

There are a lot of assumptions being made, mostly negative, with regard to some of these transfers. Apparently, if you transfer out of NU, you can’t cut it in football. If you transfer in, you’re the bees knees.

I don't think that is it at all. SF and the staff have a culture and program that they are trying to build. Some guys will buy-in 100% and be confident that they are in the right place. Some guys may not feel comfortable and decide to look elsewhere. It is better that they do that and open up a scholarship, honestly. Another possibility is that they really want to play, but find themselves buried in the depth chart and decide that they want to test the water somewhere else. Frankly, that might be best for everyone involved. Roster turnover is commonplace in college football.

These are 18-22 year-olds in a program that had a major upheaval. Stands to reason some guys would move on.

Whether we like it or not, this was always going to be a major rebuild. That gets a little bit easier if guys that don't want to be there move on.

seems to me that every kid no matter what program they get recruited to dreams of playing in the NFL which means they are talented and motivated for the most part. once on campus the competition is always much greater than anticipated and the mental game can be overwhelming. A new start somewhere else may seem like a breath of fresh air to some and so be it. Good luck to those who decide on that path.

Last edited:

Huh. I guess the Michael Decker who just announced his retirement from FB is not the same Michael Decker who started a C last year. Either that or you need to get over to the Michael Decker thread and give him the ol' what for.
Haven't given anyone the "ol' what for."

The guys leaving now, as opposed to McMullen, have reached and understanding with the new coaching staff...they won't be missed. And, Decker really wasn't the starter until Conrad was injured, though that is irrelevant here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back