• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andrew Ward ( LB) leaving NU

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is hard to say, but it would not surprise me if they are telling some of these guys you have to get busy if you want to get on the field or they are telling them you are not getting on the field and they are seeing the writing on the wall.

It just is a different urgency that we are seeing vs when Riley came into the program.

Everyone was worried when Nebraska was sitting at 81 scholarships under Riley now everyone is excited about getting rid of dead weight

Last edited:
I think there are a lot of assumptions being made. Players transfer. Its always been part of the game.

Agreed. He is leaving with class. I appreciate his approach and wish him the best. There's always more attrition in transition and the reasons are varied. We all want insight into the program and how things are going but I cringe a little when we start speculating about motives. That has the potential to be unfair to the kids.

It is hard to say, but it would not surprise me if they are telling some of these guys you have to get busy if you want to get on the field or they are telling them you are not getting on the field.....

We don't and shouldn't know that but, yeah, it certainly seems possible.

I think there are a lot of assumptions being made. Players transfer. Its always been part of the game.

My post was not directed at the player, but rather the thought that some of this attrition is due to the new expectations, which is part of a coaching change. Its was not a knock on the guy...but speculation on whether the previous regime (which I supported) was expecting too little of its players. I think...based on the results in Lincoln and the results in Orlando...that its probably pretty likely.

Last edited:
From 2/25 of this year 247Sports

ANDREW WARD

You could mention Avery Roberts in the same sentence with Ward. Both are inside backers entering their second year in the program, a couple players Nebraska could really use to push competition for the likes of a few of their older peers like Mohamed Barry, Dedrick Young, and newcomer Will Honas.

Ideally we'd both be talking about Roberts and Ward as both being redshirt freshmen. But only Ward is that. Roberts is a sophomore, his redshirt burned for almost exclusively special teams work. But I highlight Ward here because he's one of those prospects some will forget about. And based off a few conversations I've had with players on last year's team, including the sharp-minded Chris Weber, Ward is someone worth watching.

6COMMENTS
His want to learn stuck out. After piling up 122 tackles as a senior at Muskegon (Michigan) High School in 2016, he arrived to Lincoln with pretty good size too, standing 6-1, 200 pounds. No question some offseason work will only help Ward as he tries to develop into that type of inside backer who can stand up in a league like the Big Ten.

Ward has a personal story of overcoming some difficult personal circumstances, so he's scaled much bigger odds than climbing a depth chart. He has already shown a determination just to be where he is right now. Don't bet against those kind of guys when it comes to putting in work during months like these.

It's unfortunate that he and others are leaving, and it's pretty clear that more announcements will be coming. However, this may be what is needed to make sure everyone is in synch, and it does open things up for next year's recruiting class.

In any leadership position, it is about getting the right people in the organization.

Losing guys because they aren’t fully invested in the organization and committed to the vision isn’t that big of a deal. It opens opportunity to bring the right guys in.

Best of luck to the kid, but the scholarship is better spent on a player who is fully “N”. Better he goes than he half-asses it.

If that's really the reason some of these guys are bolting (vs. not seeing playing time in their future)...that would explain some of the results we've been seeing. Here's to a new era of hard work and the rewards that come with it.
Many of these recruits were top dogs in high school without really putting in much effort but when they get to college it's a different story. The players leaving weren't recruited by Frost I believe he's recruiting players with a passion for the game. If you recruit a talented kid who loves to play and has gotten better each year you lay the groundwork for winning. Frost is a very smart young coach he's surrounded himself with passionate,hardworking coaches and will continue to recruit the same kind of player.

We will miss Ward. And his reasons seem a bit different from the others. Not sure what it means, but it will be interesting to see if he continues his football career. I think he will and that he will do well. I would not be a bit surprised if he transferred to some good football school. I felt like quitting my senior year not because of coaches or hard work or getting along with anyone, but rather because my mindset had changed and I wanted to explore other things a college had to offer. I stayed, but I'm not sure that was the right thing for me to do.

But Ward is not a senior and I think he still wants to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back