• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Alternative Uniforms to be announced soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This alt uni is clearly my favorite as well, but, some people have insisted that we have had an "All Black" uni, and we have not. This is Black and White, I would seriously love to see an actual, "All Black" uni, with a smidgen of red and white for accents. Black mirrored helmet, black shirt, black pants, black socks and black shoes.....
I liked this alternate, but I am totally uninterested in an all-black uniform. Black is not a school color at Nebraska. Never has been.

Some of their old Nike uniforms..... :thumbsdown:

david-gilbert-fau1.jpg
brad-kaaya-nike.jpg
19meriweather0510-301-ZF-7509-22650-1-001-675x380.jpg

I'm more of a fan of the second picture, the ones they wore last year. It looks sharper and less shiny. I'm not a fan of the new Adidas look.

I liked this alternate, but I am totally uninterested in an all-black uniform. Black is not a school color at Nebraska. Never has been.

I disagree. Even the basketball team wore black alternates. We have always been proud of the 'Blackshirts' tradition, which has been around for quite some time. Black isn't an official school color but it is widely considered an alternate color, especially nowadays.

I disagree. Even the basketball team wore black alternates. We have always been proud of the 'Blackshirts' tradition, which has been around for quite some time. Black isn't an official school color but it is widely considered an alternate color, especially nowadays.

It's fine for the basketball team. They play almost 30 games a year and quite frankly have never had much tradition. A black changeup isn't that bad for them. The 'Blackshirts' tradition refers to a practice jersey and a name for the defense. It's never been part of gameday other than in name. It needs to stay that way. IMO, the whole team donning black doesn't do the tradition any justice, it takes away from it. And I strongly disagree that black is widely considered an alternate color anymore than gray is. It's just a stupid BFBS fad running rampant through sports right now.

Good points! As a traditionalist, I do like the excitement and buzz created by the alternates. I think it is kind of fun for the players and (most) fans. Since alternates are supposed to be edgy and appeal to the recruits, I have no problem with the all blacks or something different done once per year.

Just glad that the alternates have nothing to do with the wants and needs of the fan base....if the kids are happy with them, then really who cares what anyone else thinks

Just glad that the alternates have nothing to do with the wants and needs of the fan base....if the kids are happy with them, then really who cares what anyone else thinks

That would be your opinion and no matter how wrong it is you are entitled to it. :stickouttongue:

I prefer no alternate uni's but if they have to I prefer the throwbacks.

It's fine for the basketball team. They play almost 30 games a year and quite frankly have never had much tradition. A black changeup isn't that bad for them. The 'Blackshirts' tradition refers to a practice jersey and a name for the defense. It's never been part of gameday other than in name. It needs to stay that way. IMO, the whole team donning black doesn't do the tradition any justice, it takes away from it. And I strongly disagree that black is widely considered an alternate color anymore than gray is. It's just a stupid BFBS fad running rampant through sports right now.

I understand peoples reluctance to embrace change, but this is the times we are living in, and I can't foresee it going away any time soon. And sorry that you guys don't feel that Black doesn't compliment every color combination possible, as it truly does just that(also, you guys seem to be taking this personally, but guess what, it's what the kids want, and the kids are the TEAM, so if they want it, let's make sure we provide it for them). Name me one color or two color combo, that black doesn't help enhance? I think that at some point in the near future, Nebraska takes the field with an ALL BLACK unis(with a smidgen of Red and White for accents). I think it happens.... GO BIG RED!!!!

I just saw this after I posted above. I just couldn't agree any more. It's not about some internet Husker fan, it's about the kids who actually play as a Husker, if they want alt unis, let's gladly give it to them.

I just saw this after I posted above. I just couldn't agree any more. It's not about some internet Husker fan, it's about the kids who actually play as a Husker, if they want alt unis, let's gladly give it to them.

Anything that makes us stand out to young recruits I'm all for. If we came out donning red LED light-up jerseys and flashing pants and it even made one student athlete take notice of the University, I'd say it's worth it.

Anything that makes us stand out to young recruits I'm all for. If we came out donning red LED light-up jerseys and flashing pants and it even made one student athlete take notice of the University, I'd say it's worth it.

Herein lies a societal problem. Kids don't relish or respect tradition, have little discipline for most anything and, as per this thread, have no guidance by their parents/leaders to respect those traditions. They live in the self-gratification of the moment. They live in a society of instant gratification, the "oh, look at me" syndrome. Instead of focusing on the demands of playing as a team and the discipline to meet those demands, they are more concerned about the "me" and not the "we."

When recruits "commit" to an institution, they commit to upholding the substance of that institution and the traditions of that institution. In my opinion, if you recruit with gimmicks, like clown uniforms, you succumb to the tail wagging the dog. Working in weight room, practicing 110% effort all the time, playing through injuries, continuing a winning tradition, contributing to the community in a positive manner, growing as a person, and receiving an education is the essence of four/five years at NU. Looking like a clown once a year does not cut it.

Should we paint memorial stadium with red and white polka dots one Saturday and then red and white stripes the next Saturday just to draw attention to the football program? (Then, get trounced by Wisconsin 100-0?) It all seems sort of silly to me. What we need to do to get recruits is promote our winning traditions and fill the trophy case with Championships. And, for those of you who don't understand, it is hard work, dedication, discipline and production, that gets those Championships, not gimmick uniforms.

As my high school coach once told our team, "The work is in the practice, the fun is winning the game on game day." I shutter to think what his response would have been if we wanted to wear flowing ribbons on our helmets. Yes, I am a grumpy old fart but that is the way I see it.

I understand peoples reluctance to embrace change, but this is the times we are living in, and I can't foresee it going away any time soon. And sorry that you guys don't feel that Black doesn't compliment every color combination possible, as it truly does just that(also, you guys seem to be taking this personally, but guess what, it's what the kids want, and the kids are the TEAM, so if they want it, let's make sure we provide it for them). Name me one color or two color combo, that black doesn't help enhance? I think that at some point in the near future, Nebraska takes the field with an ALL BLACK unis(with a smidgen of Red and White for accents). I think it happens.... GO BIG RED!!!!

Not only am I not reluctant to change, I am also not taking it personally. I just happen to disagree with black being added. I personally don't think black adds or enhances anything in the NU uniform line. My personal opinion. For the record, I never said black didn't compliment any color combinations. I however, don't think black enhances NU's look. At all.

I think the notion that alternate uniforms affect recruits decisions is a bit overplayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back