• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

43 points

I've been critical of him as well, but did so with respect.
I hated seeing what I wasnt expecting to see.
Why wouldnt someone want a former player coach to succeed and excel?
And make no bones about it, respect includes the program in all facets, player, coach, HC, and program plus Nebraska pride aimed right.
On a out of the box career,going undefeated year two and everything that followed makes it hard for a young coach.

GA is no longer here, SF has this year to set things right. Lets hope things do go right, and not feel as desperate, where we feel loss when these things happen.
Never once said I didn’t want him to do well, or succeed down the road somewhere else. But, with the performance he put forth while here, his lines played lIke high school lines. They were just bad. You can’t, nor shouldn’t respect a bad job, no matter who does it, or where, in any walk of life. He’s lucky he had a very loyal boss. Most anywhere else, he’d have been out after 1-2 years. It’s harsh, but that’s the truth. This is, and should be, a performance based business, regardless of who it is.

Last edited:

Sorry to derail your thread about STs, Power of Corn.

43 points doesn't even tell the whole story, because of all the hidden yards given up with field position that leads to points. Just getting the ST units to average would result in more wins.
Just having a very good special team puts pressure on all aspects of your opponent.
In our case, it was really stacked against our offense and defense.
The opposite of that.
Theres a lot of low hanging fruit from previous performance to gain

Sorry to derail your thread about STs, Power of Corn.

43 points doesn't even tell the whole story, because of all the hidden yards given up with field position that leads to points. Just getting the ST units to average would result in more wins.
This, I’d think, everyone could agree on. Teams with great ST play usually are pretty damn good overall. When ST gets blown off, because you’re focused only on your ‘powerful offense’, lol, you see the results.

This, I’d think, everyone could agree on. Teams with great ST play usually are pretty damn good overall. When ST gets blown off, because you’re focused only on your ‘powerful offense’, lol, you see the results.
Nothings being blown off, you said it yourself, teams with good STs do good.
Its a matter of raising STs to that higher level, across the board higher level.
A young coach needs to learn its easier to have one bad thing to ruin potentially everything else.
Fixes are being addressed, and it would be nice to see these STs numbers flipped, instead of relying upon TOs by the D and super and consistent dynamic play of the O.
At UCF the D led or was near top in TOs. The O was at or near top as well.
People bring up P5vs all the time, its in STs alone where the whole game is upped more than anywhere else.
While theres plenty of coaches coming up in lower ranks, the best of the best STs coaches reside in P5 by far

Not sure I agree with this.

He’s got a good background - experience wise. Probably not enough for a P5 program.

He was part of a successful UCF program
That may be, but his lines here, at NU, preformed horribly. So, as for that, he doesn’t belong at this high level, as of now. North Dakota States line was better than Nebraska’s, and they ARE division II. Read into what you want, but given the talent here, his lines preformed worse than anyone at the power 5 level.

Its a matter of raising STs to that higher level, across the board higher level.
A young coach needs to learn its easier to have one bad thing to ruin potentially everything else.
Fixes are being addressed, and it would be nice to see these STs numbers flipped, instead of relying upon TOs by the D and super and consistent dynamic play of the O.
People bring up P5vs all the time, its in STs alone where the whole game is upped more than anywhere else.
While theres plenty of coaches coming up in lower ranks, the best of the best STs coaches reside in P5 by far
The way they’ve preformed over the past 4 years, does indeed suggest they were blown off, with little attention to detail. You aren’t that bad with time and effort applied. It was a constant, not a few game deal.

The way they’ve preformed over the past 4 years, does indeed suggest they were blown off, with little attention to detail. You aren’t that bad with time and effort applied. It was a constant, not a few game deal.
It was addressed each year without having to make staff changes.
It wasnt enough,obviously.
But just like establishing the blackshirt way, our STs never had the bar set, examples made, coaches coaching and players setting the bar and coaching this way as well.
Whereon a team are such ways more easily lost, harder to gain, especially without a coach?
Players want the NFL? Lower drafted players are analyzed for STs.
That type of talk started last year, now we have a coach as well.
A lot of low hanging fruit to be had
I'm excited to see the commitment of the players starting last year and this year having Trey Palmer.
You can coach not giving up 6 on a return, but you cant coach what Palmer brings.

Agree that STs can be a difference maker and a true separator.

Nevertheless it is hard to argue that the OLine has not been the most underachieving group during SFs tenure.

That may be, but his lines here, at NU, preformed horribly. So, as for that, he doesn’t belong at this high level, as of now. North Dakota States line was better than Nebraska’s, and they ARE division II. Read into what you want, but given the talent here, his lines preformed worse than anyone at the power 5 level.
As a point of clarification NDSU is 1-AA … not Division 2. But your point is understood.

NDSU is the exception to the rule. It had a player drafted higher than NU, it had more players drafted than many D1P5 programs.

Agree that STs can be a difference maker and a true separator.

Nevertheless it is hard to argue that the OLine has not been the most underachieving group during SFs tenure.
I think part of that was scheme itself. In a headknocker league sometimes you need to knock heads.
Our numbers were good, even passing game, all things considered.
But not having receivers and getting those 3rd n 1s has been loudly shown of our needs there since day 1.

Not sure I agree with this.

He’s got a good background - experience wise. Probably not enough for a P5 program.

He was part of a successful UCF program
Please understand, that doesn't count. UCF is a high school program. Coaches that succeed there are simply successful because they are playing all their games against high schools, low budget jucos and occasionally, a mid-level D3 school like Auburn.

Seems GA isn't the only one with an understanding boss. I expect better performance in the future with your posts. Please don't make any mistakes, as failures are not acceptable. Please up your game or risk being reduced to posting on a division III message board. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back