• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2nd spring game in the works?

What an absolutely incredible problem to have...your fan base( the best on the planet) sells out your spring ( scrimmage) game in 36 hours. Your team finished 4-8 and lost to Northern Illinois and Minnesota and was embarassed at home against Iowa. You need to figure out how to reward your fans who couldn't get tickets .
Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson couldn't sell out two games.Nebraska could sell out three easily.
ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE LIKE NEBRASKA!

Moos said today that there is no additional spring game in the works. They might look at opening up more of the spring practices to the public. Not sure if he is talking this year or next.

Being in/from Pullman has nothing to do with it. A lot of us thought it would be a sellout for the first time but no one could have foreseen it happening in the first two days. 60,000 tickets being sold the first day is just mind boggling. If it would have taken a couple of weeks to a month nobody would be griping. It was just one heck of an anomaly and that's all.

That comment may have become a huge recruiting tool for the class of 2019 and beyond.

GBR!

I would like to see them hold each Saturday practice at a different site around the state, as a reward for fans who travel the furthest to watch the huskers.

So what about sticking to real practices and the learning which comes with them. Let the coaches coach. We fans can see the team enough as it is.

Don't need more cookies and Kool-Aid.

Last edited:

I don't think it was obvious that the spring game was going to sell out in just a few days. To my knowledge, no spring game at any school has ever sold out. IMO, this is likely a one-time occurrence based on a very powerful narrative - native son returns to restore former glory after 15 years of fan divisiveness and bitter disappointment.

However, if spring game sellouts are the new norm, NU should reprice tickets to reflect demand so the athletic department gets the money instead of resellers. At $50 per ticket, there isn't much room for profit in the secondary market and you won't have season ticket holders buying 20.

Lots of misplaced blame on "scalpers." If someone buys a ticket on the secondary market, how can they be getting gouged? A willing buyer and a willing seller agreed on a price.

Last edited:
Maybe they can hold the practice in Scottsbluff or North Platte.....or Italy.
North platte I suppose you could hold it at The HS stadium. Although that would be kinda small. Scotts bluff??? I would say UNK but I do not think that is legal.

I don't think it was obvious that the spring game was going to sell out in just a few days. To my knowledge, no spring game at any school has ever sold out. IMO, this is likely a one-time occurrence based on a very powerful narrative - native son returns to restore former glory after 15 years of fan divisiveness and bitter disappointment.

However, if spring game sellouts are the new norm, NU should reprice tickets to reflect demand so the athletic department gets the money instead of resellers. At $50 per ticket, there isn't much room for profit in the secondary market and you won't have season ticket holders buying 20.

Lots of misplaced blame on "scalpers." If someone buys a ticket on the secondary market, how can they be getting gouged? A willing buyer and a willing seller agreed on a price.
$50 for a family of four adds up. I sympathize with those folks who can't afford regular game tickets and were planning to take their kids to the game. I would ask, "Why THIS game? Why not last year? Why not next year?" Tickets were hot because there's a new coach in town and because he's home-grown. If Moos is smart, and I think he is, he thinks pretty carefully before raising ticket prices for the 2019 spring game.

Last edited:
They must've gotten an earfull from a very disappointed fanbase. They screwed up and are smart enough to attempt to "fix" it. Hope the AD learned a lesson, he's not in Pullman anymore.
Wasn't selling season ticket holders up to 20 tickets each done before Moos ever arrived? It was my understanding that it's been the norm for quite awhile?

Memorial is the only large stadium in the state. UNK's only seats ~5200. Omaha metro venues are all under 10K as I understand it. An open practice would overwhelm these places. And taking the HUSKER 18 wheeler out with all the equipment would not be cheap, but would be good PR.
Ameritrade has a listed capacity of 24K and has had over 27K for a game. But that is still a far cry from Memorial's capacity.

Come on Skunk, I'm not begrudging anyone for getting tickets through the method that the University used. But that game was a slam dunk sellout. I'm just saying that they clearly received enough negative feedback to know they screwed up and need to do something to kinda sorta try to fix it.
They used the same format as before but some individuals didn't get a ticket and they are complaining. In actuality most of the tickets are being used with only about 1% on the secondary market. That is not a screw up. I didn't get tickets but oh well, I can go watch at a bar which is never a bad thing.

$50 for a family of four adds up. I sympathize with those folks who can't afford regular game tickets and were planning to take there kids to the game. I would ask, "Why THIS game? Why not last year? Why not next year?" Tickets were hot because there's a new coach in town and because he's home-grown. If Moos is smart, and I think he is, he thinks pretty carefully before raising ticket prices for the 2019 spring game.

It’s not about sympathy. Supply and demand dictates the price of a sporting event. If ticket demand exceeds supply at $10 per ticket next year, the exact same thing will happen again - folks will buy at $10 and sell at $50 in the secondary market. I’d rather see the extra $40 go to the athletic department than resellers and stubhub.

Last edited:
I don't think it was obvious that the spring game was going to sell out in just a few days. To my knowledge, no spring game at any school has ever sold out.

Looks like there may have been a smattering of full stadiums over the years per an unofficial source: (Alabama in Saban's first year)

(Ohio State last year http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ohio-state-buckeyes-sell-spring-football-game)

Many schools don't call theirs a "Spring Game." Alabama calls it the A-Day Game, Georgia the G-Day Game, and so on, so the search is muddied a little. Also, free admission is available for some - so I guess that wouldn't technically be a 'sellout' - just a full stadium.

Kirby Smart is lobbying for a sellout this spring: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/kirby-smart-gets-heros-welcome-asks-fans-for-spring-game-sellout

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back