• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2nd spring game in the works?

What if they cancelled the spring game? I heard a lot of complaining when they date was changed. What if they just cancelled it to limit distractions? Would the whining of people with exclusive access to buy and resell tickets hold more validity?
Why would they cancel the spring game? What is your point?

How did he upset fans? By hiring Scott Frost?

That's you in black struggling to catch up in this thread. Hint...this thread has nothing to do with Scott Frost.

176598091-4spqvjp7soy0eya7ai2_fct4608x3456x356_ct620x465.jpg

I'm really hoping the fans and administration don't get too carried away with their desire to see what this team is doing and for attention from these coaches. When I see suggestions that we do Saturday practices all over the state and such it concerns me. Spring practice has a purpose. We need Scott Frost to dedicate his full attention to making this team better and giving him the privacy they need. Turning it into a traveling circus does not work into that equation. Good publicity? I could care less. It seems like we have plenty of "feel-good" publicity. WE need SF to concentrate on football and only football. Even another open practice will distract from what they have to get done.

I have been saying this for a long time. Moos needs to insulate SF from the distractions of the fans, donors and media and let him concentrate on football only. Fans need to let them do it and stop whining because they didn't get their ticket to a televised spring game.

I see it more as a chance to unify the state and the fan base. Potentially bringing the team to different parts of the state shows they care about more than just Lincoln and Omaha. And it could be a step toward getting us closer to the way things used to be - Nebraska kids growing up only wanting to play for Nebraska.

And in a culture where live game attendance is declining with a younger audience that seems content with watching it on TV, why wouldn’t you react to the knowledge that more people want to watch the team than is allowable with one game if you can make it work?

Yes, Scott has to put energy into structuring the actually added “games” but otherwise I don’t see how it would take his focus away from the team. He has people to take care of the rest of the hoopla that goes into it. He’s not Harbaugh

That's you in black struggling to catch up in this thread. Hint...this thread has nothing to do with Scott Frost.

176598091-4spqvjp7soy0eya7ai2_fct4608x3456x356_ct620x465.jpg

And you are a fan sitting in the stands. It has everything to do about Scoff Frost as this thread is based on people being unhappy that they didn't get tickets. There is only one reason it is sold out and that is because of Scott Frost. The only way Moos could have assured more people got tickets is hire someone we hated.

Last edited:

It’s not about sympathy. Supply and demand dictates the price of a sporting event. If ticket demand exceeds supply at $10 per ticket next year, the exact same thing will happen again - folks will buy at $10 and sell at $50 in the secondary market. I’d rather see the extra $40 go to the athletic department than resellers and stubhub.
Sure, if you want to look at it from a purely economic view. But with game attendance taking it's second worst dip since they started keeping statistics on it, administrations around the country have to start looking at making attendance more attractive. That would include keeping ticket costs down. I heard on the the Zone radio last night that Direct TV paid the NFL $1.5B for exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games. So, you have to be a Direct TV subscriber AND pay $350 for their NFL package. Any wonder viewership is down?

I think it's unreasonable to adjust the price of a spring game ticket to try to keep up with what the market dictates because that's such a dynamic number as demand for tickets can widely fluctuate. Depending on the 2018 season goes, next year's spring game may not be a sellout. It was hot ticket this year, I don't think it will be next year.
Besides, it's been said it's only about 1% of the tickets that aren't being used by the original purchaser.

Sure, if you want to look at it from a purely economic view. But with game attendance taking it's second worst dip since they started keeping statistics on it, administrations around the country have to start looking at making attendance more attractive. That would include keeping ticket costs down. I heard on the the Zone radio last night that Direct TV paid the NFL $1.5B for exclusive rights to broadcast NFL games. So, you have to be a Direct TV subscriber AND pay $350 for their NFL package. Any wonder viewership is down?

I think it's unreasonable to adjust the price of a spring game ticket to try to keep up with what the market dictates because that's such a dynamic number as demand for tickets can widely fluctuate. Depending on the 2018 season goes, next year's spring game may not be a sellout. It was hot ticket this year, I don't think it will be next year.
Besides, it's been said it's only about 1% of the tickets that aren't being used by the original purchaser.

The spring game is a sell out due to the excitement/interest in Coach Frost this year and the momentum from recruiting.

For the big picture, I think that Nebraska should charge more for premium seats and charge less for end zones, etc. there are some terrible seats in Memorial Stadium that are "less valuable" (especially the upper end zone seats). Also, I think that they should continue to shrink the capacity to reflect the reality that there simply isn't enough room to accommodate a normal size person...especially the lout next to me with abnormal man-spread...if we charged more for the better seats, the revenue would remain the same and the game experience would be improved for all!

The spring game is a sell out due to the excitement/interest in Coach Frost this year and the momentum from recruiting.

For the big picture, I think that Nebraska should charge more for premium seats and charge less for end zones, etc. there are some terrible seats in Memorial Stadium that are "less valuable" (especially the upper end zone seats). Also, I think that they should continue to shrink the capacity to reflect the reality that there simply isn't enough room to accommodate a normal size person...especially the lout next to me with abnormal man-spread...if we charged more for the better seats, the revenue would remain the same and the game experience would be improved for all!
I agree. The best improvement they could make to the stadium right now is to put in chair back seats for every butt. If that means reducing capacity and charging slightly more to make up for it, I'm N.

And you are a fan sitting in the stands. It has everything to do about Scoff Frost as this thread is based on people being unhappy that they didn't get tickets. There is only one reason it is sold out and that is because of Scott Frost. The only way Moos could have assured more people got tickets is hire someone we hated.
You are falling even further behind in the thread. This isn't a thread where folks are complaining about not getting tickets. It is a thread about the University doing something to make up for disappointing fans that are upset about the Spring game selling method, which shut them out. Simple as that.

Last edited:

You are falling even further behind in the thread. This isn't a thread where folks are complaining about not getting tickets. It is a thread about the University doing something to make up for disappointing fans that are upset about the Spring game selling method, which shut them out. Simple as that.

No you aren't keeping up. Most everyone has understood that the selling method has been the same as every other year and that Moos didn't screw up. His hiring of Scott Frost created a demand that is getting 90,000 fans there. In the end that is what he did. Fans above that 90,000 are irrelevant. No matter what the selling process was no more tickets were going to be sold and no more fans are going to see it. You are making an unwarranted claim that Moos is screwing up because you are still butt hurt that SE and MR aren't here.

If I recall correctly, Big Ten attendance bucked the trend. Many administrators are definitely looking at ways to increase season ticket sales. Serving beer is the latest trend. NU is exceptional in this regard. When you can sell out a scrimmage game in 26 hours, I'm not sure there is much concern about making attendance more attractive. One of NU's enduring advantages is being the only game in town.

I do agree that this is likely a one-time thing and posted as much earlier in the thread. However, the AD's office should probably do a little research next year to see what demand looks like and price accordingly. It's not hard to send out surveys to season ticket holders. I'd probably do what the fountainhead suggested and price premium seats higher and the leave the north/south end zones at $10.

Eventually, event tickets will be sold using dynamic pricing (much like Uber's "surge pricing" or the way airlines price seats). The technology is there, but consumer behavior is in the way. Ticketmaster tried it, and people hated it. They are ok paying more for better seats but feel fleeced paying a higher amount than someone else for a similar seat.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back