• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 World Cup

South American teams have not faired well in European World Cups over the years

Six of the eight Qtr Finailst are from Europe

Southgate went with promise over experience as was said on the post game show. Not to mention the FA went with a young coach

If US Soccer is watching this is what you need to do too. Should have done it after Brazil 2014. With that being said time to move forward and make history

I find myself watching more and more soccer over the years. I'm beginning to understand why soccer fans are so crazy over it. Don't know why they changed the name to football when it started as soccer. We are the traditionalists here.

PK for England and its legitimate. Kane pulled down in the box. Columbian players all over Gieger and just being overall tools

Just finally got done watching on DVR...somehow without hearing the result ahead of time.

I think after about 30 seconds of surrounding Geiger, he should have just starting showing yellow, yellow, yellow... they'd get the message pretty quick. It was a clear tackle (American football definition, not soccer definition) in the box, not even controversial.

Last edited:
South American teams have not faired well in European World Cups over the years

Six of the eight Qtr Finailst are from Europe

This is true historically. European teams typically win European WCs; South American teams typically win SA WCs. One notable exception is Germany winning IN Brazil in 2014. Plus that 7-1 drumming. :O O:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...ld-cup-power-rankings-ahead-of-france-belgium

1. Brazil
2. France
3. Belgium
4. Uruguay
5. Croatia
6. England
7. Sweden
8. Russia

Good stuff

Here is another ranking of the Top 16 after the round of 16. I annotated the Top 8 (which Russia & Sweden outside of it)

1. Croatia
2. Brazil
3. Belgium
4. Uruguay
6. England
8. France
11. Sweden
16. Russia

https://www.msn.com/en-ae/sport/fif...orst-from-the-round-of-16/ss-AAzB71X#image=16

Last edited:

I'm going for Uruguay (to get at least one non-Euro team into the semis) and Belgium (because I dislike Neymar more each time I see him play).

I agree on Uruguay. Although France is a very young team that has played very well. This could go either way.

Brazil seems to have hit their stride and I would not want to be playing them right now. Belgium is the one team IF they bring their A game that could beat Brazil. If I had to be forced to pick this one I would have to go with Brazil and that pains me because I dislike them for the same reasons you do. With that being said I will be rooting for Belgium.

On the other side I see Croatia and England going through to the Semi Finals.

Croatia has some many reasons both sporting and geopolitical to beat Russia and I think they will short of any tom foolery fromthe ref. Russia has lived a charmed life up until now and I think it ends tomorrow.

England seems to be on one of those special runs (no one thought they would do this in 2018 but would in 2022) with a very young team that frankly as well as they have done has not yet lived up to the talent they have YET. Sweden has been living on borrowed time and I think it ends on Saturday.

I'm going for Uruguay (to get at least one non-Euro team into the semis) and Belgium (because I dislike Neymar more each time I see him play).

Last edited:

Croatia has some many reasons both sporting and geopolitical to beat Russia and I think they will short of any tom foolery form the ref. Russia has lived a charmed life up until know and I think it ends tomorrow.
We were talking about that at work the other day. When Croatia plays Russia, it's going to be a knock down, drag out, fight. And I suspect some elbows and cheap shots to be handed out, quite judiciously(or perhaps, with extreme prejudice). A co-worker of mine, is married to this drop dead gorgeous Russian femme, but I believe that they may be the only two who are rooting for the Ruskies to win. Hope Croatia blanks 'em for the victory.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back