• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 World Cup

Completely off the wall question that popped into my head yesterday as I was watching the dvr of the game.... There was so much excellent passing in tight spaces that I questioned whether setting a pick (like basketball) would be legal in soccer. I assume it's not or they would be doing it. But is there some official rule covering it? Just curious.

The number of players in youth soccer is dropping quickly. Due the age group change to calendar year? Due to "pay to play". For the first of those questions, I made the same claim when it changed and my boy/girl twins got bumped up and away from their school class.

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/tom-farrey-sfia-data-column

"Soccer is now paying a heavy price for underestimating kids’ desire to play with friends. In an effort to develop better prospects for its national teams, the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) two years ago began mandating that affiliated organizations down to the community level stop forming teams based on birthdates that fell within the school year. Instead, teams at every age level were reorganized based on calendar year birthdates, in which kids are less likely to play with same-grade peers. That broke up teams who have been playing together for years. Only 14.8 percent of children played soccer last year, down from 17 percent in 2015.

During that period, soccer lost more child participants than any other sport – about 600,000 of them. Or enough to fill every stadium on any given match day during the 2026 World Cup the USSF will co-host with Mexico and Canada. "

The number of players in youth soccer is dropping quickly. Due the age group change to calendar year? Due to "pay to play". For the first of those questions, I made the same claim when it changed and my boy/girl twins got bumped up and away from their school class.

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/tom-farrey-sfia-data-column

"Soccer is now paying a heavy price for underestimating kids’ desire to play with friends. In an effort to develop better prospects for its national teams, the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) two years ago began mandating that affiliated organizations down to the community level stop forming teams based on birthdates that fell within the school year. Instead, teams at every age level were reorganized based on calendar year birthdates, in which kids are less likely to play with same-grade peers. That broke up teams who have been playing together for years. Only 14.8 percent of children played soccer last year, down from 17 percent in 2015.

During that period, soccer lost more child participants than any other sport – about 600,000 of them. Or enough to fill every stadium on any given match day during the 2026 World Cup the USSF will co-host with Mexico and Canada. "

I have been screaming about pay to play ever since I joined this board. It needs to go and now

France x Croatia today! I think France has earned it more, but I enjoy cheering for the underdog when my team isn’t playing.

France's speed and skill and Croitia's overly physical play are the talking points early in the game

Its 1-1 after 30 minutes including Croitia's gifting of an own goal to France. Which is the first ever in a WC Final

Clear PK for France which the ref got wrong but replay got right and in minute 37 France leads 2-1

Croitia has gifted France both their goals. With that being said great teams take advantage of that

Video in the major competitions is good for all the obvious reasons. Sepp Blatter blocking it for so many years was ridiculous and makes one wonder if there were not ulterior motives.

Last edited:
Ugh. I don't want to see the WC winner get the title based off of an own goal and a PK.

I'm headed to the beach with the family, but I'll be rooting for Croatia to get back in this in the 2nd.

France putting the wood to Croitia much like so thought they would and lead 4-2 after 75 minutes

Too much skill and speed and an older Croitia team who has been in three straight shootouts.

France and England the two you best teams in the competition are going to be forced the next four years. England still needs to get better up front where France is so much more developed

France wins the World Cup and they are worthy best team in the game and the tournament

Harry Kane of England wins the Golden Boot

They heavy weights went out early and Germany finishing last in their Group was a shocker to say the least (worst German showing I have seen in my life time) for the team who was ranked top in the world coming in.

Ugh. I don't want to see the WC winner get the title based off of an own goal and a PK.

I'm headed to the beach with the family, but I'll be rooting for Croatia to get back in this in the 2nd.

At the half, I think the stats were Croatia leading in shots 7-1 and France leading in goals 2-1. :eek:

At the half, I think the stats were Croatia leading in shots 7-1 and France leading in goals 2-1. :eek:

France had 6 shots on target (in in the first half)....Croatia 4 in the final totals (2 in the first half).

France had 1 shot off target and Croatia 10 final totals (5 in the first half).

https://www.totalcorner.com/match/corner-stats/75131795/France-vs-Croatia

As an English friend of mine said France is scary good because it never looked like they took the break off today for that matter much of the Cup. Wonder how good they would be once they wake up and realize that? Scary to think.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back