• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 NIT...

Nope. But what big name guy is going to leave his established program for Nebraska? This list should be easy to compose.
First on my list would be Dana Altman. Nebraska ties, proven winner. He's making only slightly more than Miles.

Gotta love Husker fans. Solich turns a well-established football dynasty into a .500 team in 5 years and many want to keep him while Miles wins over 20 games at a program where that is extremely rare and many want to show him the door.:wow:

Again, if Miles is as bad as what many believe, he will merit his dismissal but its not going to be this year.

Exactly why I feel the way I do........they thought they were a "close" bubble team but ended up being a 5th seed in the NIT. I feel the tourney committee did a HUGE injustice to a couple of teams (not necessarily NU) when they put OU and Syracuse in the tourney. Two teams that did NOT deserve to be in it. Of course, there are about 20 teams (or I should say conferences) that NEVER deserve to be in it ANY YEAR, but they are due to the fact they are conference champions from conferences such as the Great and Mighty Ohio Valley, Big South, Missouri Valley Conference, Atlantic Sun Conference, ETC, ETC, ETC.....I mean, who the hell is Lipscomb?

In football (if these conferences even have football teams), these conferences are not even 1-AA...they are DIV III....:mad:

I completely disagree with this notion.

I -- like many others -- watch and love the NCAA Tournament for the Cinderella stories. The first Thursday and Friday each year in the dance are, IMO, the two greatest days in sports. That's when the little schools get their shot at the big boys -- and you can count on a couple mid-major, little known schools stepping up with a huge performance that is remembered for years to come.

Valparaiso, George Mason, Davidson, VCU, Northern Iowa, Harvard, Princeton, South Dakota State, Hampton, Richmond, Santa Clara, etc.

Sure, after Princeton beat UCLA in '96, they weren't going to go on an win the national title. But minus looking it up, I don't remember who did. But I sure do remember that upset by Princeton.

And I remember Hampton upsetting 2-seed Iowa State ... and every year in March Madness, we see the highlight of their coach being lifted up off the ground -- legs and arms flailing wildly.

I love that stuff!

College football is an entirely different animal. You have a small school program face a national power, and they'll get shredded by 70 points. The size and physicality differences are tremendous.

In basketball, you get a small school team full of upperclassman ... who play solid D and are smart with the ball ... and maybe a player or two gets a hot hand shooting ... and anything can happen.

Removing the opportunities for the small schools to put on the slippers, and you'd be removing what makes college basketball special.

I completely disagree with this notion.

I -- like many others -- watch and love the NCAA Tournament for the Cinderella stories. The first Thursday and Friday each year in the dance are, IMO, the two greatest days in sports. That's when the little schools get their shot at the big boys -- and you can count on a couple mid-major, little known schools stepping up with a huge performance that is remembered for years to come.

Valparaiso, George Mason, Davidson, VCU, Northern Iowa, Harvard, Princeton, South Dakota State, Hampton, Richmond, Santa Clara, etc.

Sure, after Princeton beat UCLA in '96, they weren't going to go on an win the national title. But minus looking it up, I don't remember who did. But I sure do remember that upset by Princeton.

And I remember Hampton upsetting 2-seed Iowa State ... and every year in March Madness, we see the highlight of their coach being lifted up off the ground -- legs and arms flailing wildly.

I love that stuff!

College football is an entirely different animal. You have a small school program face a national power, and they'll get shredded by 70 points. The size and physicality differences are tremendous.

In basketball, you get a small school team full of upperclassman ... who play solid D and are smart with the ball ... and maybe a player or two gets a hot hand shooting ... and anything can happen.

Removing the opportunities for the small schools to put on the slippers, and you'd be removing what makes college basketball special.
Agree. Its the beauty of the one game series. The lessor team can steal one.

to piggy back on HWM's post...

Another reason I like the tourney is it is practically the only way you actually get to SEE the "mid major" programs take on the "big boys". Power conference teams won't play the mid majors in most cases unless it's a guaranteed win (i.e. a game against some SWAC punching bag) or, if they do play a decent MM it is at home only. And then there is the rare early season tourney where they might get a shot.

The tourney is a rare chance to get to see a UNC or MSU have to take on a quality MM. Often times they are supprised at the level of play they run into. They think "oh we are ____....these guys can't play." I'll never forget Creighton v. UNC....not because of the result. It wasn't good. But CU didn't back down and the little ole mid major came away from that being called "thugs" by UNC fans who expect everyone to just lay down for the mighty tar heels. Wragge got death threats after that one. ETHAN WRAGGE = Thug! Classic. the guy probably committed 6 fouls his entire career.

to piggy back on HWM's post...

Another reason I like the tourney is it is practically the only way you actually get to SEE the "mid major" programs take on the "big boys". Power conference teams won't play the mid majors in most cases unless it's a guaranteed win (i.e. a game against some SWAC punching bag) or, if they do play a decent MM it is at home only. And then there is the rare early season tourney where they might get a shot.

The tourney is a rare chance to get to see a UNC or MSU have to take on a quality MM. Often times they are supprised at the level of play they run into. They think "oh we are ____....these guys can't play." I'll never forget Creighton v. UNC....not because of the result. It wasn't good. But CU didn't back down and the little ole mid major came away from that being called "thugs" by UNC fans who expect everyone to just lay down for the mighty tar heels. Wragge got death threats after that one. ETHAN WRAGGE = Thug! Classic. the guy probably committed 6 fouls his entire career.
UNI over Kansas. :).
Ali F interviewed Kansas fans a couple yers back about that game. All of the fans were still traumatized by that loss, and the shot tha Ali F made. None of them realized who was interviewing them. :)

I am enjoying watching the UNC Ashville v USC game, and I actually like the 4 qtrs. v 2 halves format. UNCA 55 USC 56, end of the 3rd. It will be sweet to see UNC A win this game and send the Trojans packing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back