• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 NIT...

Also, the suggestion that the system is broken or should be changed is silly. Had Nebraska not been a total sh*t-show last season, they would have only had to scratch off 18 wins to dance as their schedule was brutally tough. In 2014 we danced with 19 wins because our schedule was tough and we had some good wins. Things just didn’t break right this year. Next year will probably be much different.

There are minor things I’d like to change, I think RPI can be manipulated too easily. I also think the committee can do a better job selecting and explaining bubble teams, they contradict themselves a lot. It is a subjective process still in a lot of ways, common sense should have removed Syracuse and Oklahoma. I don’t give a damn about their RPI, Oklahoma State should have replaced one of those teams. It’s all about big wins, right?

One thing that has been said in the past about Tim Miles is that he has been very good at manipulating the schedule to meet what the tournament committee is looking for. This year he crapped out on scheduling teams that were in the NCAA last year but had much worse seasons.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211660607

The non-con schedule was designed to impress, but pretty much everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Not even counting beating Minnesota while they were ranked.

Last edited:

I can’t like this because I don’t, but I agree. I can’t see them being excited to play as a 5 seed in the NIT.

Exactly why I feel the way I do........they thought they were a "close" bubble team but ended up being a 5th seed in the NIT. I feel the tourney committee did a HUGE injustice to a couple of teams (not necessarily NU) when they put OU and Syracuse in the tourney. Two teams that did NOT deserve to be in it. Of course, there are about 20 teams (or I should say conferences) that NEVER deserve to be in it ANY YEAR, but they are due to the fact they are conference champions from conferences such as the Great and Mighty Ohio Valley, Big South, Missouri Valley Conference, Atlantic Sun Conference, ETC, ETC, ETC.....I mean, who the hell is Lipscomb?

In football (if these conferences even have football teams), these conferences are not even 1-AA...they are DIV III....:mad:

I mean, who the hell is Lipscomb?

Lipscomb used to be known as David Lipscomb. Back in 1990, that university played Midland Lutheran in the first round of the NAIA Championships that were held in Kansas City at Kemper Arena. David Lipscomb won that game and went on to lose to Birmingham Southern in the Championship game.

A number five seed means that we aren’t even in the top 16 of the NIT? That’s laughable. We have to travel to play a team that didn’t even finish in the top half of their conference? There really has to be some explaining from Rasmussen and the other NCAA officials about this.
Rasmussen needs to explain how teams with a losing record in their conference, such as from the ACC and the SEC can get in to the NCAA and keep winning teams out? How do you let a team that has completely collapsed in the last six weeks like Oklahoma in?
Really looks like the whole thing is rigged.

Uh, you think?? :mad:

Lipscomb used to be known as David Lipscomb. Back in 1990, that university played Midland Lutheran in the first round of the NAIA Championships that were held in Kansas City at Kemper Arena. David Lipscomb won that game and went on to lose to Birmingham Southern in the Championship game.
EXACTLY my point! They are in the "big boy" tourney, when, in reality they (and MANY others) are Pee Wee league, at best. Why I hardly watch the tourney, at least until the sweet 16 or until 99% of these nobodies are weeded out.

Exactly why I feel the way I do........they thought they were a "close" bubble team but ended up being a 5th seed in the NIT. I feel the tourney committee did a HUGE injustice to a couple of teams (not necessarily NU) when they put OU and Syracuse in the tourney. Two teams that did NOT deserve to be in it. Of course, there are about 20 teams (or I should say conferences) that NEVER deserve to be in it ANY YEAR, but they are due to the fact they are conference champions from conferences such as the Great and Mighty Ohio Valley, Big South, Missouri Valley Conference, Atlantic Sun Conference, ETC, ETC, ETC.....I mean, who the hell is Lipscomb?

In football (if these conferences even have football teams), these conferences are not even 1-AA...they are DIV III....:mad:
You mean a Missouri Valley that put a team in the final 4 a few years ago?

EXACTLY my point! They are in the "big boy" tourney, when, in reality they (and MANY others) are Pee Wee league, at best. Why I hardly watch the tourney, at least until the sweet 16 or until 99% of these nobodies are weeded out.

I have a hard time believing someone who says the bold. If true you are missing out on a ton of good basketball. And even if you don't want to watch the lipscomb's of the world there are still a ton of good games between your beloved power conferences that you could watch. But you'll sit this weekend out....right.

Basketball is like most other NCAA sports. At the end of the regular season every team theoretically has a shot at the national title. Nebraska did. Lipscomb still does. Everyone who is NOT in had their chance to GET in. Either via playing better in the regular season or doing better in their conference tournament. Volleyball does this no? Baseball? Football is the only sport I am aware of that eliminates half of the field before the season even starts (see UCF).

As usual there's a coach or two that wants to expand the tourney to 96. I forgot who it was this year but it was brought up. I hope the NCAA never does this. Mediocrity (OU, Syracuse, ASU) is already being rewarded. The NCAA tourney is fine exactly how it is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back