1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Native, Feb 5, 2019.

1. solesrfr

solesrfr Travel Squad 5 Year Member

Then you didn't need to put the "NU running a bait and switch" comment did you.

C

izzycohen likes this.
  2. Oracle of Lincoln

Oracle of Lincoln Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Nebraska had one of the largest year-to-year increases in offers in the 2018 recruiting class over Mike Riley’s final season (277 offers) according to the SI article.

Seems like a new way of doing business.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. MartyHuskerFan

MartyHuskerFan Tired and True

No. I mean evidence. A picture of the offer. In that case I would not dispute. I am more interested in seeing what these offers look like. What are the stated conditions?

4. Oracle of Lincoln

Thank you. Agreed.

5. Oracle of Lincoln

I applaud you! Wanting to improve the system. What a novel approach.

6. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk-on 2 Year Member

But talking to recruits and offering them isn't one of them when a staff is rebuilding a program...even if it is 422. I understand why there are so many offers out there. It's very much like what the post you just applauded. What you applauded is does not need to be changed. That is part of the communication process. But there is no proof of bait and switch by Nebraska.

7. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk-on 2 Year Member

The coaches are not allowed to talk about recruits, so they are not allowed to show a picture of the offer. Official offers go out in the fall of the recruiting year that some recruits will post in social media.

8. Skerfan

Skerfan Recruit

Of the top 300 players in the country I think it is safe to say we would take 90% of those guys. Granted, I have no way to prove that but would have a hard time not thinking that is true. Of those 300 players from past results we will be lucky to get 7-8 of them. How do you find out who those 7-8 are without asking? I am sure Oracle would know exactly how to maximize the talent on the roster in other ways but most coaches in our situation have to throw spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks.

9. Oracle of Lincoln

You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.

10. HuskerGene

HuskerGene A work in progress 5 Year Member

Do you even read some of the other posts?

11. Skerfan

Skerfan Recruit

And thank God for that!

12. wcbsas

wcbsas All Legend 15 Year Member

I disagree ... Most of those offers are contingent ... meaning NU is going to offer scholarships to 5 high school QBs, but they are only going to take 1 or 2 ... if you accept NOW ... you can be one of those two. If you do not and someone else accepts then the offer we've made goes away.

Most of the top 500 kids or so ... accumulate offers as a badge of honor. If you've ever followed Twitter you have the traditional ... "Blessed to have received an offer from ..." Then tomorrow it is a new school and the day after that its another school.

College athletes have much more freedom and opportunity then they did - 5 and 10 years ago. But that freedom generates fickleness, indecision and vacillation.

I suspect once Nebraska fills its quota on a certain position, they likely go out to the remaining offers at those position and inform them that we have an accepted offer and therefore have to back-off from you since you have decided not to accept our offer.

These kids are not being harmed ... I guarantee you that every one of the 422 kids who received a Nebraska offer will accept a football scholarship to go somewhere ... probably most of them P5 schools. I would be shocked if any of the 422 kids feel like Nebraska pulled the rug out from under them.

Bigger Ed, All 'N' 011808 and Skerfan like this.
  13. wcbsas

wcbsas All Legend 15 Year Member

I also think its great when the #1 dual threat QB candidate has Nebraska listed along with Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma ... that kid may not ever consider NU but to have NU listed along with those blue bloods is important!

14. Skerfan

Skerfan Recruit

Not sure I have ever heard a kid say the rug was pulled out from under them. The kids and parents don't think they were harmed so I think the only person that gets hurt from doing business this way is Oracle.

HuskerGene likes this.
  15. Boji Husker

Boji Husker Red Shirt

Until NU gets back to being BIG RED Frost will likely offer a ton of people to hopefully start a conversation. Unlike Alabama which offered 275 or so and then backed away from some kids (as Texas did with Houston, and Bama with Gates), dont think NU turned down the commit of very many of those 422. Once NU gets back to winning I expect that number to go down quite a bit. Also they will have had more time to establish relationships and evaluate the players that they believe will fit at NU. This first year or so they didnt have that luxury.