• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

I did. Didn't say anything about Nebraska running a bait and switch. It did give an example of LSU offering a scholarship to a kid and them pulling the offer after a period of time. What I didn't read in the article is anything that would give you proof of an appearance that Scott Frost is running a bait and switch.

As for your general statement that recruiting needs changed as a whole there is some merit to that. There should be some type of distinction between an offer that is meant to show interest and start a dialogue rather than what is called an "offer". Unfortunately, your message is lost to most fans when you choose to make an unfounded negative against our coaching staff.........again.

Nebraska had one of the largest year-to-year increases in offers in the 2018 recruiting class over Mike Riley’s final season (277 offers) according to the SI article.

Seems like a new way of doing business.

Last edited:
You mean like the example in the article of the OL that ended up at LSU, although they didn't take his commit?? This is just another reason that people need to relax about who is "offered" and all the hype from players when they get an "offer". Many on here have been saying it since the MR recruiting hype train, the actual results and commitments are the more important thing to watch....and even then you have the decommit.
No. I mean evidence. A picture of the offer. In that case I would not dispute. I am more interested in seeing what these offers look like. What are the stated conditions?

Found another topic we can agree on. Woohoo.
Not denying that some bait and switch (or at least what some may seems to be) does exist out there. I would imagine there is a lot of players offered with conditions. It’s still an offer, but both sides know the conditions.
  • (Example) Offer 7 DBs with condition that we are only taking the first 3 to commit prior to (this date)
  • (Example) offer a couple more with condition that those other guys get first shot, if we don’t get three then first of you to accept after (this date) gets a schollie.
  • Could have 10 or more offers out to fill 3 DB spots, if offers are all conditional reasonable and fair, then what’s the problem?
  • Grades health. Etc.
I would like to see some of these offers. What is usually in them?
I applaud you! Wanting to improve the system. What a novel approach.

Thank you. Agreed.
But talking to recruits and offering them isn't one of them when a staff is rebuilding a program...even if it is 422. I understand why there are so many offers out there. It's very much like what the post you just applauded. What you applauded is does not need to be changed. That is part of the communication process. But there is no proof of bait and switch by Nebraska.

No. I mean evidence. A picture of the offer. In that case I would not dispute. I am more interested in seeing what these offers look like. What are the stated conditions?
The coaches are not allowed to talk about recruits, so they are not allowed to show a picture of the offer. Official offers go out in the fall of the recruiting year that some recruits will post in social media.

Of the top 300 players in the country I think it is safe to say we would take 90% of those guys. Granted, I have no way to prove that but would have a hard time not thinking that is true. Of those 300 players from past results we will be lucky to get 7-8 of them. How do you find out who those 7-8 are without asking? I am sure Oracle would know exactly how to maximize the talent on the roster in other ways but most coaches in our situation have to throw spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks.

But talking to recruits and offering them isn't one of them when a staff is rebuilding a program...even if it is 422. I understand why there are so many offers out there. It's very much like what the post you just applauded. What you applauded is does not need to be changed. That is part of the communication process. But there is no proof of bait and switch by Nebraska.
You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.

You’ve got to be kidding? 422 offers is a gross example of a system that is broken. At the very least it becomes a joke that an athlete got an ‘offer’ from Nebraska. This year damn nearly everybody got an offer. We know it’s not a scholarship offer. It’s a publicity stunt. Nebraska and every institution of higher learning that is scatter-shooting offers should strive to do better. Plus if you think NU isnt leveraging the recruiting landscape like the big boys in the SEC and B1G, then I’ve got some ownership opportunities on a bridge in Brooklyn for you.
I disagree ... Most of those offers are contingent ... meaning NU is going to offer scholarships to 5 high school QBs, but they are only going to take 1 or 2 ... if you accept NOW ... you can be one of those two. If you do not and someone else accepts then the offer we've made goes away.

Most of the top 500 kids or so ... accumulate offers as a badge of honor. If you've ever followed Twitter you have the traditional ... "Blessed to have received an offer from ..." Then tomorrow it is a new school and the day after that its another school.

College athletes have much more freedom and opportunity then they did - 5 and 10 years ago. But that freedom generates fickleness, indecision and vacillation.

I suspect once Nebraska fills its quota on a certain position, they likely go out to the remaining offers at those position and inform them that we have an accepted offer and therefore have to back-off from you since you have decided not to accept our offer.

These kids are not being harmed ... I guarantee you that every one of the 422 kids who received a Nebraska offer will accept a football scholarship to go somewhere ... probably most of them P5 schools. I would be shocked if any of the 422 kids feel like Nebraska pulled the rug out from under them.

I also think its great when the #1 dual threat QB candidate has Nebraska listed along with Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma ... that kid may not ever consider NU but to have NU listed along with those blue bloods is important!

I disagree ... Most of those offers are contingent ... meaning NU is going to offer scholarships to 5 high school QBs, but they are only going to take 1 or 2 ... if you accept NOW ... you can be one of those two. If you do not and someone else accepts then the offer we've made goes away.

Most of the top 500 kids or so ... accumulate offers as a badge of honor. If you've ever followed Twitter you have the traditional ... "Blessed to have received an offer from ..." Then tomorrow it is a new school and the day after that its another school.

College athletes have much more freedom and opportunity then they did - 5 and 10 years ago. But that freedom generates fickleness, indecision and vacillation.

I suspect once Nebraska fills its quota on a certain position, they likely go out to the remaining offers at those position and inform them that we have an accepted offer and therefore have to back-off from you since you have decided not to accept our offer.

These kids are not being harmed ... I guarantee you that every one of the 422 kids who received a Nebraska offer will accept a football scholarship to go somewhere ... probably most of them P5 schools. I would be shocked if any of the 422 kids feel like Nebraska pulled the rug out from under them.

Not sure I have ever heard a kid say the rug was pulled out from under them. The kids and parents don't think they were harmed so I think the only person that gets hurt from doing business this way is Oracle.

Until NU gets back to being BIG RED Frost will likely offer a ton of people to hopefully start a conversation. Unlike Alabama which offered 275 or so and then backed away from some kids (as Texas did with Houston, and Bama with Gates), dont think NU turned down the commit of very many of those 422. Once NU gets back to winning I expect that number to go down quite a bit. Also they will have had more time to establish relationships and evaluate the players that they believe will fit at NU. This first year or so they didnt have that luxury.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back