• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

Just because Nebraska has a lot of offers, doesn't mean it's a bait and switch.

I learned long ago that sometimes in life, a person can never say the right thing to the wrong guy. So there is that...
What would call it then?

Congrats we are offering you a full ride offer to our school.

Awesome. I accept.

Not so fast there, sonny. There is a player across town that we may sign instead.

I’ve learned long ago to not expect rational when dealing with irrational, kool-aid drinking CFB worshipers. So there is that...

Last edited:
Nope. I simply feel the entire recruiting landscape needs a major overhaul? Did you read the SI article?
I did. Didn't say anything about Nebraska running a bait and switch. It did give an example of LSU offering a scholarship to a kid and them pulling the offer after a period of time. What I didn't read in the article is anything that would give you proof of an appearance that Scott Frost is running a bait and switch.

As for your general statement that recruiting needs changed as a whole there is some merit to that. There should be some type of distinction between an offer that is meant to show interest and start a dialogue rather than what is called an "offer". Unfortunately, your message is lost to most fans when you choose to make an unfounded negative against our coaching staff.........again.

Not that this doesn't skew the numbers for other schools as well, but I have a couple examples why this is inflated. The first, and I won't blow the kid up with a name, but we have a kid I know for a fact that is showing an offer from Oregon and never received one. Kid announced he had one, verified with the Oregon coach he didn't have one.

The second is, we are going after a ton of kids that academically have benchmarks they need to reach to have a committable offer. For example, are we going to count Dominick Watt or Desmond Bland against us? They are an offer we "count" but we literally wouldn't or couldn't let them sign. There's over a couple dozen players that we offer based on them hitting certain criteria for it to be "committable." Just a couple of the many examples.

I personally think we are offering too many if we are in year 4 or 5 of a coach, but we have to "carpet bomb" a bit as Frost is coming off of back to back 4-8 seasons. I want the Nebraska offer to mean more. We just aren't there yet.

I did. Didn't say anything about Nebraska running a bait and switch. It did give an example of LSU offering a scholarship to a kid and them pulling the offer after a period of time. What I didn't read in the article is anything that would give you proof of an appearance that Scott Frost is running a bait and switch.

As for your general statement that recruiting needs changed as a whole there is some merit to that. There should be some type of distinction between an offer that is meant to show interest and start a dialogue rather than what is called an "offer". Unfortunately, your message is lost to most fans when you choose to make an unfounded negative against our coaching staff.........again.
Are you that naive to think after 422 offers given out by a certain school - that the LSU scenario given isn’t replayed often? C’mon.

Not that this doesn't skew the numbers for other schools as well, but I have a couple examples why this is inflated. The first, and I won't blow the kid up with a name, but we have a kid I know for a fact that is showing an offer from Oregon and never received one. Kid announced he had one, verified with the Oregon coach he didn't have one.

The second is, we are going after a ton of kids that academically have benchmarks they need to reach to have a committable offer. For example, are we going to count Dominick Watt or Desmond Bland against us? They are an offer we "count" but we literally wouldn't or couldn't let them sign. There's over a couple dozen players that we offer based on them hitting certain criteria for it to be "committable." Just a couple of the many examples.

I personally think we are offering too many if we are in year 4 or 5 of a coach, but we have to "carpet bomb" a bit as Frost is coming off of back to back 4-8 seasons. I want the Nebraska offer to mean more. We just aren't there yet.
‘Carpet bomb’ seems like an accurate term to me. Did the elixir of Frost wear off that quickly?

What would call it then?

Awesome. I accept.

Not so fast there, sonny. There is a player across town that we may sign instead.

I’ve learned long ago to not expect rational when dealing with irrational, kool-aid drinking CFB worshipers. So there is that...

We offered scholarships to over 400 players and yet here we are on signing day with the possibility that we have available scholarships for next season....

Bait and switch? No. Impossible to please some people? Yes.

Last edited:

Found another topic we can agree on. Woohoo.
Not denying that some bait and switch (or at least what some may seems to be) does exist out there. I would imagine there is a lot of players offered with conditions. It’s still an offer, but both sides know the conditions.
  • (Example) Offer 7 DBs with condition that we are only taking the first 3 to commit prior to (this date)
  • (Example) offer a couple more with condition that those other guys get first shot, if we don’t get three then first of you to accept after (this date) gets a schollie.
  • Could have 10 or more offers out to fill 3 DB spots, if offers are all conditional reasonable and fair, then what’s the problem?
  • Grades health. Etc.
I would like to see some of these offers. What is usually in them?

Last edited:

Found another topic we can agree on. Woohoo.
Not denying that some bait and switch (or at least what some may seems to be) does exist out there. I would imagine there is a lot of players offered with conditions. It’s still an offer, but both sides know the conditions.
  • (Example) Offer 7 DBs with condition that we are only taking the first 3 to commit prior to (this date)
  • (Example) offer a couple more with condition that those other guys get first shot, if we don’t get three then first of you to accept after (this date) gets a schollie.
  • Could have 10 or more offers out to fill 3 DB spots, if offers are all conditional reasonable and fair, then what’s the problem?
  • Grades health. Etc.
I would like to see some of these offers. What is usually in them?
And here is the thing.......its too bad we can't come up with a different term for the "conditional" offers. I mean when teams are making a conditional offer to an 8th grader......we get articles like this treating them the same as offers to a senior who we are desperately hoping signs on the dotted line? By grouping everything together it fuels the fire for articles that put it in a negative light and certain posters jumping all over it.

NU running a bait and switch? Sure seems that way. It’s just a dirty game with an obscene amount of dollars involved.
Most people who have been or are going through the process understand how it works. They understand that the coaches job security depends on them getting the 20-30 best players possible and that scholarships are not unlimited. I think most people understand that the players are told exactly what is going on from the beginning. I think an intelligent person understands that the coaches dont call up someone, offer them and wait to see what happens on signing day. With the exception of the truly elite players most offers come with an expiration date, I would think someone who is an "Oracle" would understand all this. I also think that most people who claim to be a fan of a team occasionally find something good to say about the program instead of just coming to message boards to complain about everything that ever happens with the program.

The Volunteers lead all major college programs in offers over this eight-year stretch (328 per year), followed by Louisville (323), Kentucky (291), Ole Miss (290) and Illinois (283). Rounding out the top 10 are Mississippi State (278), Nebraska (270), Indiana (268), Syracuse (254) and West Virginia (251). There’s a reason the sport’s bluebloods are missing from the top 10. The schools passing out the most and earliest offers are typically secondary programs in competitive conferences.

^^This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. At this this point in time NU is clearly not a major player in the Big Ten ("secondary program" is being generous) and after watching this past season, NU is in obviously need of better players across the board.
Bottom line is we are going to get automatically passed up by many top flight recruits simply because they just aren't willing to take a chance playing for a team that has won a total 8 games the past two seasons. When you factor in Riley not even looking at Juco's, and Pelini not even willing throw his hat in the ring in many markets and at many top end kids, it should be of zero surprise that Frost is going to offer a bunch of kids initially in an attempt to get us back into the recruiting groove.
The fact we currently have a top 15-20 class signed up should tell most folks his reasoning is paying off in a big way.
I guess I don't see any concern with the amount of offers, other than some folks seeing this as being desperate, which we really are at this point.
If Frost doesn't get better players on the roster quickly, he'll miss the wave of his recent success and coaching accolades and he just becomes another coach that can't get NU over the hump in the eyes of high school recruit. In a couple short years some of these HS kids will have been too young to remember his turnaround at UCF and all of his COTY awards. The success needs to happen quickly or it will become a very slow uphill climb imho. Not saying he can't get it done later, but he's got a big window of opportunity right now that he is trying to capitalize on. I'm completely on board with his plan at this point.

Last edited:

Lame article featuring limited & disjointed "conclusions" ...sure miss quality journalism. :Sign2cents:

the piece states that the CFB average is ~240 per school... clearly the landscape has changed, doesn't always mean said change is for the worse.

Recruiting nationally undoubtedly impacts the number of offers, choosing to pursue higher ranked prospects & casting a wider net leads to more offers. There are plenty of viable reasons for exceeding the average number of offers, doesn't mean that said practice is a bait & switch by secondary programs. :Rolleyes:

There are numerous variables at play, context, and a timing element as well. Offers to Owen Pappoe, Summerall, Barno, Funai, Jordan, Parker, etc... are/were all valid OLB offers, none of whom committed, if some had, doubtful all those offers are made... they're interdependent & often sequential... bottom line, it's far more involved than the author's simplistic take.

Last edited:
What does an ‘uncommitable’ offer look like? Does it have words in it that say you cannot commit? This report is just click bait with a bunch of outrageous disingenuous accusations about recruiting techniques. The story should have included evidence of actual uncommitable offers. What do they look like.

You mean like the example in the article of the OL that ended up at LSU, although they didn't take his commit?? This is just another reason that people need to relax about who is "offered" and all the hype from players when they get an "offer". Many on here have been saying it since the MR recruiting hype train, the actual results and commitments are the more important thing to watch....and even then you have the decommit.

What would call it then?

Awesome. I accept.

Are you that naive to think after 422 offers given out by a certain school - that the LSU scenario given isn’t replayed often? C’mon.

Are there some things that should change when it comes to the recruiting landscape? Yes.

But let's focus on the bait and switch that was represented by an LSU situation and has absolutely nothing to do with Nebraska.

Here are a few hypotheticals:
Nebraska coaches talk to a recruit at a school, say that they are interested and that an offer could be coming soon. The young man says he isn't interested. He tweets out that Nebraska offered him. Was an offer actually extended? Not yet. Can Nebraska publicly deny this? No. They are not allowed to discuss recruits until those recruits have signed. Does it look good for the recruit? It doesn't hurt. Add that as an offer that Nebraska gave out.

With another recruit, the coaches have a similar conversation. The recruit is super excited and interested. The coaches tell him they would like to offer him and this is what makes the offer a committable offer. The young man doesn't take care of his academics...if he would have, he could have said he was N and would be so. Add that as an offer that Nebraska gave out.

In another situation, the coaches are aware of a game changer (one of many out there) who fits perfectly into what they want to do on defense and know that getting him on campus could change his perspective. All the big boys are going to be offering. Should coaches talk with him and make an offer? Why not? Add that as an offer that Nebraska gave out.

I spent some time recruiting and know how much work it takes to rebuild a program. There are always people out there doing things the wrong way. However, just because a staff is set up to put in the hours to work its tail off doesn't mean the staff isn't communicating the correct way with the recruits. To assume that LSU situation has to happening at Nebraska is in itself pretty irrational. Having 422 offers out there does not equate to bait and switch. We have no idea how those offers were discussed or if they were all actually offers.

As for @Hville being naive....:Rolf:.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back