• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sports Illustrated - "uncommittable offers"

Well that’s a nice concession. Of course there are problems. We can agree to disagree on the 400+ offers where there is no way on God’s green earth that NU can know of the background of each player. Or the optics suggested by a scatter-shot policy for an institution of alleged higher learning. What 9th or 10th grader did NU offer today?

Here you go, be on your way.

https://thecardboard.org/board/

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories for me....

When I was young I sent out offers to all of the pretty young ladies I met. Many were rejected, but some led to unofficial visits where we got to know one another better. A few led to official visits where we met each other's family members. A few of those had a me-first attitude, and some others seemed to be waiting on other, better offers. Some wanted a committable offer before I was ready to make that offer, but (thankfully) the only committable offer that I did make was accepted, and she did put pen to paper and sign. It was a successful round of recruiting from my perspective, and I have three little tax write-offs because of it.

It is possible that some of those ladies who were spurned grew upset, maybe even bitter. If so, they're most likely now at Stanford in the Women's Studies department, talking about how much they hate men and football. It's also possible that they while away their long, bitter days writing bizarre diatribes on HuskerMax, digitally and virtually living out a vengeful football version of Fatal Attraction, pretending to be a fan while trying to stalk us and murder our pets.

tenor.gif

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories for me....

When I was young I sent out offers to all of the pretty young ladies I met. Many were rejected, but some led to unofficial visits where we got to know one another better. A few led to official visits where we met each other's family members. A few of those had a me-first attitude, and some others seemed to be waiting on other, better offers. Some wanted a committable offer before I was ready to make that offer, but (thankfully) the only committable offer that I did make was accepted, and she did put pen to paper and sign. It was a successful round of recruiting from my perspective, and I have three little tax write-offs because of it.

It is possible that some of those ladies who were spurned grew upset, maybe even bitter. If so, they're most likely now at Stanford in the Women's Studies department, talking about how much they hate men and football. It's also possible that they while away their long, bitter days writing bizarre diatribes on HuskerMax, digitally and virtually living out a vengeful football version of Fatal Attraction, pretending to be a fan while trying to stalk us and murder our pets.

tenor.gif

Much longer and well explained than what I said in an off forum discussion.

I only was looking for a class of 1 and she eventually signed.

3 write offs for me as well.

When staffs are getting to know the background of each player and watching film, they may reach out and talk with the player. During this time, if there is an initial offer with an explanation of what the staff needs to see to make it commitable, I still have no problem with that as this staff rebuilds the program. It's called good communication. With good communication, the "bait and switch" is not an issue. And again, some kids take initial contacts as offers and tweet out "I got an offer to Nebraska" even if they didn't. That goes down as an offer by those services keeping track. No one on the staff can say..."No, he doesn't have an offer" because they can only discuss athletes who have signed with the program. Each program has different ways to handle what they do. The way the offers are communicated to recruits is important. Until you step in the shoes of the staff doing the recruiting or the athlete being recruited, it's pretty difficult to grasp the nature of recruiting. This staff knows what they want for each position...scatter-shot is not what they are doing.
So ‘some kids’ only fabricate an offer to DONU? You’d think they would gravitate to Bama or Clemson. LMAO.

Last edited:

After reading that article and from my own experience, I probably shouldn't be so critical of Decommitments. I was in my coaches office back in the day(before recruiting was covered much in the 70's) when UNO had a football team and two UNO coaches said they wanted me to come there and I said to them, "so you're offering me a full ride scholarship? They said yes. Being I'm from South Omaha, I thought we had a deal. Then a month or so later (this was about 40 years ago) a prospect who was better than me decided not to go to Nebraska and "committed" to UNO at my same position. Well I was out and didn't learn this until "signing day". While there was no social media (thank God for that), I told all my friends and my parents told all our relatives, so it was certainly humbling. I then went to a small school in Nebraska (Wayne) and thought I had a football scholarship, but they were NAIA and actually I had an academic scholarship (my dad arranged everything). Well I went to Wayne and I wasn't as good as I thought I was and I really didn't want to put in the work, so after not playing a down (except in the spring game). I hung up my cleats, finished my degree, met my wife and I have no regrets. I should actually send Coach Buda and Osberg a thank you letter, because it all worked out. The morale to the story is that sometimes what you think are your biggest failures or set backs, become your biggest blessings.

After reading that article and from my own experience, I probably shouldn't be so critical of Decommitments. I was in my coaches office back in the day(before recruiting was covered much in the 70's) when UNO had a football team and two UNO coaches said they wanted me to come there and I said to them, "so you're offering me a full ride scholarship? They said yes. Being I'm from South Omaha, I thought we had a deal. Then a month or so later (this was about 40 years ago) a prospect who was better than me decided not to go to Nebraska and "committed" to UNO at my same position. Well I was out and didn't learn this until "signing day". While there was no social media (thank God for that), I told all my friends and my parents told all our relatives, so it was certainly humbling. I then went to a small school in Nebraska (Wayne) and thought I had a football scholarship, but they were NAIA and actually I had an academic scholarship (my dad arranged everything). Well I went to Wayne and I wasn't as good as I thought I was and I really didn't want to put in the work, so after not playing a down (except in the spring game). I hung up my cleats, finished my degree, met my wife and I have no regrets. I should actually send Coach Buda and Osberg a thank you letter, because it all worked out. The morale to the story is that sometimes what you think are your biggest failures or set backs, become your biggest blessings.

Wow this sounds very similar to me. Didn't have an offer from any D2 schools but lots of small college stuff, Doane, Wesleyan, Simpson in Iowa etc. Ended up going to Wesleyan for a year and played football. I think we had like 45 freshman in my "recruiting" class. It was basically at that level if you want to come play football go right ahead. Played 1 year, didn't play much and decided to hang it up. Transferred out because I didn't want to pay that huge tuition bill and went to Northwest Missouri State. Met my wife finished a degree have 3 kids and live in Idaho.

So ‘some kids’ only fabricate an offer to DONU? You’d think they would gravitate to Bama or Clemson. LMAO.
Some kids think they received an offer as soon as the school contacts them. I know because I have personally experienced when recruiting. It doesn't matter what school it is.

There are about 50 other things that are wrong with recruiting...the number of offers isn't one of them.

Some kids think they received an offer as soon as the school contacts them. I know because I have personally experienced when recruiting. It doesn't matter what school it is.

There are about 50 other things that are wrong with recruiting...the number of offers isn't one of them.
Fifty? Where have I heard that number before? This isn’t going to be another rhetorical backpedal where you can’t name anything close 50, is it? That one didn’t go too well either. LOL.

Fifty? Where have I heard that number before? This isn’t going to be another rhetorical backpedal where you can’t name anything close 50, is it? That one didn’t go too well either. LOL.
Heck, knowing your penchant for all things sunny in life, you can probably add another 50 to the list I come up with.

As for back pedaling, not in the least.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back