• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

S&C program...is it good enough?

I personally think the program consistently winning 9 games every year under Coach P is a good program. The culture internally and Pelini's sideline behavior was suspect and what the board felt like needed fixed.

Coach R came into a great situation here at NU. Coach P at UW had to rebuild and did it in two years with a shot at the National Championship last night.

Coach P at NU never came close having a shot at a national championship in 7 years and that's what Coach R inherited, so what's your point?

You might want to get your facts straight, Coach P at UW is in his 3rd year...that's the first point at which a new coach's recruits start showing up. So you were wrong there. You were also wrong to characterize him as having a shot at the NC last night...he lost after barely slipping into the playoffs. He did have a shot last night at reaching the NC game, but not the NC. Have a little patience like the UW fans...Peterson was 15-12 the previous 2 years, about the same as MR. Plus he was universally accepted by his new team rather than facing a large group of bo-loving malcontents.

Point 1, thanks Fan....I was off a year.

Point 2, totally disagree. I never go into anything thinking I am going to lose, I'm sure Coach P had a good game plan and didn't either.

Point 3, not sure about the context here. Similar records, similar outcomes?

Coach P at NU never came close having a shot at a national championship in 7 years and that's what Coach R inherited, so what's your point?

My point? Go back and re-read for a better understanding if you are so inclined.

That's not accurate. Washington was 9-4 the season before Petersen took over. He took over a program that had a contentious coaching change due to substance abuse, not a poor record.

His first two seasons, he won 8 and 7 games.

This season was great. But, to say that he took over a total rebuild is not accurate, nor is it to say he almost won the NC in year 2.

I said "rebuild" not TOTAL REBUILD as you write. In any event, UW was 49-50 in the past 8 years.
2008 0-11
2009 5-6
2010 6-6
2011 7-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 8-6
2015 7-6

The words I used were "shot at the NC". You have to be in the top 4 to get this opportunity and Coach P got them there. So props to him all things considered.

Last edited:

I said "rebuild" not TOTAL REBUILD as you write. In any event, UW was 49-50 in the past 8 years.
2008 0-11
2009 5-6
2010 6-6
2011 7-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 8-6
2015 7-6

The words I used were "shot at the NC". You have to be in the top 4 to get this opportunity and Coach P got them there. So props to him all things considered.

So you are arguing semantics.

The fact is that he took over an 9-4 team, had two mediocre seasons and made the playoff in year 3, not 2.

Again, I think he is a great coach, but get the facts right

Last edited:
I am a big fan of his as most know however, you accurately summed it up. In some ways a good analogy to what we are going through.

Yeah, taking over a program in turmoil after a decent season.

I'm not holding my breath for a playoff spot next year though. Washington has quite a few guys that are going to be playing on Sundays. That being said, if Lee or O'Brien is the real deal we might really be pretty good. Gotta fix the O-line though

Yeah, taking over a program in turmoil after a decent season.

I'm not holding my breath for a playoff spot next year though. Washington has quite a few guys that are going to be playing on Sundays. That being said, if Lee or O'Brien is the real deal we might really be pretty good. Gotta fix the O-line though

Fully agree.

I agree. The current program is a step up from the previous one. S&C is like most other things, the players will get out of it what they put into it. I think the program is fine. Up to the players to utilize the facilities, methods, technical work and consistency moving forward.

Need some player leadership there.

Ah, I see...Boyd Eply and Milt Tenopir and Dan Young had nothing to do witheir success? They were just great athletes? I do not believe that for a second...the whole "pipeline" thing was based on us building these linemen.

Get a grip. I'm not taking away from anything that Tenopir or Young, or Epley did. Tenopir was the greatest O-line coach in college football history. The program they put in place to develop these guys was second to none.

But, if you think they took a bunch of duds and somehow made them into All-Americans and NFL veterans, you're delusional.

It is up to the program to get the most out of each players innate ability. I think that for the linemen at Nebraska in the 80's and 90's they did that. I'm not convinced that is the case now by any means, but when I look at our line, I don't see a lot of talent. I see right tackles regularly beaten with just a speed rush. I see penetration across the interior.

TO used to say they were looking for athleticism over some of the intangibles that some programs were looking for. I took that to mean that a guy that could move his feet rather than having the right measurables. Aaron Taylor was a good example. He probably wasn't 6 feet tall, but was super quick of the line. 2 time All American but never played in the NFL.

Last edited:

Two things.....One Boyd is involved again. The S&C will get back to where it should be. Two, I don't remember where I heard it, maybe on KOZN from Matt Vrzal last Spring, but he was saying Boyd said at that time that our players were a year and a half away from having their bodies transformed to what they should be. Said it would be a 2 1/2 year process. The previous S&C coaches weren't getting it done. Eppley said he does like Mark Philipp and staff. So.....we should start seeing guys in proper shape close to Fall Camp.

Two things.....One Boyd is involved again. The S&C will get back to where it should be. Two, I don't remember where I heard it, maybe on KOZN from Matt Vrzal last Spring, but he was saying Boyd said at that time that our players were a year and a half away from having their bodies transformed to what they should be. Said it would be a 2 1/2 year process. The previous S&C coaches weren't getting it done. Eppley said he does like Mark Philipp and staff. So.....we should start seeing guys in proper shape close to Fall Camp.
Will remind you MP doesn't like the Epley involvement.

I personally think the program consistently winning 9 games every year under Coach P is a good program. The culture internally and Pelini's sideline behavior was suspect and what the board felt like needed fixed.

Coach R came into a great situation here at NU. Coach P at UW had to rebuild and did it in two years with a shot at the National Championship last night.

This was Peterson's 3rd year, not his 2nd. He was 7-6 in his 2nd year at Washington.

2008 0-11
2009 5-6
2010 6-6
2011 7-6
2012 7-5
2013 9-4
2014 8-6
2015 7-6

LOL...had to streeeeech to get that 0-11 in there? You might be sutprised to know that Peterson did not inherit any of the playerrs from that 0-11 team, or the 5-6 team, and probably only a few from the 6-6 team. Seems like there was successful rebuilding already going on when Coach P got there. You could just admit that you are totally wrong, or at least adjust the idiotic notion of Coach P inheriting a 49-50 to the more realistic 38-27, with an uptick to 9-4 before he arrived. LOL...bad effort.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back