• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

S&C program...is it good enough?

Greatest Fan of All

The Legend
10 Year Member
What I want to know is why no one is asking about our S&C training? We are soft and clearly injury-prone. Being soft generally means you aren't playing with a high intensity level, that is on both the players and coaches. Injuries can stem from playing soft, but they could also be related to a lack of conditioning. I know Mark Philipp looks the part, but is he getting the job done? Is our team PAC-ready but not big mean and nasty enough for championship play in the BIG? Other than lacking the necessary talent to compete at the highest levels, right now it looks to me like we are not tough enough to get it done, especially in the lines...pathetic play. Next year needs to be far better, but we need to hold Philipp, Cav and JP accountable if things aren't greatly improved by game 1 this year.

BTW, I still expect great things next year and beyond...but there are things that need to improve to get there.

Last edited:

Need to do more lifts for rolled ankles, concussions, broken backs, and hyperextended elbows!

Season ending injuries have decreased so much it may just be an 8 sideways for the scientific differential from the previous regime. Things are fine there.
Enough excuses, he's been here 2 years. His job is easy and can be done quickly. Please explain why we are soft as the Pillsbury doughboy:

Last edited:
Enough excuses, he's been here 2 years. His job is easy and can be done quickly. Please explain why we are soft as the Pillsbury doughboy:

In a world where people want results instantly and aren't able to visualize where the process will get them, I understand what you are saying.

I'll start with the fact that for 7 years we did no lifts from the floor, which resulted in multiple season ending injuries for our guys since that created terrible flexibility with us playing way too high. We bring in a new S&C staff that literally for the first 6 months of 2015 had to have guys just do plates for lifts for fear of injury since form was so bad, that amount of weight is done by freshmen in high school. So we are basically on 16 months of this program with 8 of those being in-season. But my biggest thing I'll say is would we rather have non Olympic lifts resulting in season ending injuries? Or deal with some hamstring issues that put guys out for a game or two due to the fact we are trying to correct 7 years of imbalances? That's before we get in to our practices being more finesse than physical.

I would lean more towards practices for the answer to your pilsbury comment rather than our S&C. They do need to get to the bottom of why WRs can't stay healthy, and I'm sure the finesse practices of tons of route running takes its toll.

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_13-10-14.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-1_13-10-14.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
In a world where people want results instantly and aren't able to visualize where the process will get them, I understand what you are saying.

I'll start with the fact that for 7 years we did no lifts from the floor, which resulted in multiple season ending injuries for our guys. We bring in a new S&C staff that literally for the first 6 months of 2015 had to have guys just do plates for lifts for fear of injury since form was so bad, that amount of weight is done by freshmen in high school. So we are basically on 16 months of this program with 8 of those being in-season. But my biggest thing I'll say is would we rather have non Olympic lifts resulting in season ending injuries? Or deal with some hamstring issues that put guys out for a game or two due to the fact we are trying to correct 7 years of imbalances? That's before we get in to our practices being more finesse than physical.

I would lean more towards practices for the answer to your pilsbury comment rather than our S&C. They do need to get to the bottom of why WRs can't stay healthy, and I'm sure the finesse practices of tons of route running takes its toll.
I am just asking the question, it could be other things like practice as you suggest. That said, you are being way over-protective of Philipp. You say we're trying to correct 7 years of failure. Guess what? None of the players have been in the program 7 years...and, more importantly it does not take long to turn around an S&C program, definitely not years. I'd like to see the numbers, because what we see right now on the field tells me there are issues. If it is not the S&C then their index numbers should improve dramatically from last year. I'm not sure the S&C is a problem, but they are definitely high on the suspect list.

Last edited:
I talked to a player's father who said that the whole performance index rebirth was eye opening especially along the oline. They used to be some of the highest scorers but when they started testing again last spring they were some of the lowest. They have their work cut out to get that all back to where it needs to be.

Maybe it has something to do with players. Maybe our dearth of offensive line talent has resulted in an offense incapable of moving the ball, resulting in short drives. This necessarily results in our defense playing far too many snaps. They aren't good enough to hold up under this pressure.

The normal result follows.

P.S. I guess we now know who you are planning to target now that Pelini is gone and Armstrong has graduated. LOL

Last edited:

Maybe it has something to do with players. Maybe our dearth of offensive line talent has resulted in an offense incapable of moving the ball, resulting in short drives. This necessarily results in our defense playing far too many snaps. They aren't good enough to hold up under this pressure.

The normal result follows.
Definitely a possibility.

I'm going with they are soft mentally, Looks to me they are in shape, but their is no nasty attitude, no fire in them,
That and they just look slow,
I don't know the answer, that's the coaches job,

Fast results in the weight room only happen illegally. I'm sure they are maximizing results with allowable supplements, but that won't produce the desired results overnight.

Given ***'s insight here, which I suspect is on the money, it'll take some time. And nothing will speed along the process.

I am just asking the question, it could be other things like practice as you suggest. That said, you are being way over-protective of Philipp. You say we're trying to correct 7 years of failure. Guess what? None of the players have been in the program 7 years...and, more importantly it does not take long to turn around an S&C program, definitely not years. I'd like to see the numbers, because what we see right now on the field tells me there are issues. If it is not the S&C then their index numbers should improve dramatically from last year. I'm not sure the S&C is a problem, but they are definitely high on the suspect list.
I think you know I didn't mean they were here 7 years. But some were in it for 4 years when this staff got here.

I'm not protective of MP, in fact I even stated losing him wouldn't be the blow some think it would. But I get tired of after two losses by double digits our last two games people just throwing every excuse out in the book with no substance behind them.

Our index numbers will absolutely increase. All the guys that won it were younger guys who have another shot this year. You think it's a coincidence that the person who won it last year never was subjected to a flawed Dobson system?

I talked to a player's father who said that the whole performance index rebirth was eye opening especially along the oline. They used to be some of the highest scorers but when they started testing again last spring they were some of the lowest. They have their work cut out to get that all back to where it needs to be.
No doubt to me that this is true...

Patience people. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is the rebuilding of Nebraskas program.

I personally think the program consistently winning 9 games every year under Coach P is a good program. The culture internally and Pelini's sideline behavior was suspect and what the board felt like needed fixed.

Coach R came into a great situation here at NU. Coach P at UW had to rebuild and did it in two years with a shot at the National Championship last night.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back