• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

S&C program...is it good enough?

What I want to know is why no one is asking about our S&C training? We are soft and clearly injury-prone. Being soft generally means you aren't playing with a high intensity level, that is on both the players and coaches. Injuries can stem from playing soft, but they could also be related to a lack of conditioning. I know Mark Philipp looks the part, but is he getting the job done? Is our team PAC-ready but not big mean and nasty enough for championship play in the BIG? Other than lacking the necessary talent to compete at the highest levels, right now it looks to me like we are not tough enough to get it done, especially in the lines...pathetic play. Next year needs to be far better, but we need to hold Philipp, Cav and JP accountable if things aren't greatly improved by game 1 this year.

BTW, I still expect great things next year and beyond...but there are things that need to improve to get there.

Look at these guys, no comparison of what we have on the OL today. Think about it, this is 21 years ago and they didn't have near the science, technology and facilities these kids have today.

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 12.59.00 PM.png

Look at these guys, no comparison of what we have on the OL today. Think about it, this is 21 years ago and they didn't have near the science, technology and facilities these kids have today.

View attachment 10781

Zach Weigert and Brendan Stai were both All-Americans in 1994
Aaron Graham was an All-American in 1995

It isn't just S&C.

You can't teach athleticism.

In a world where people want results instantly and aren't able to visualize where the process will get them, I understand what you are saying.

I'll start with the fact that for 7 years we did no lifts from the floor, which resulted in multiple season ending injuries for our guys since that created terrible flexibility with us playing way too high. We bring in a new S&C staff that literally for the first 6 months of 2015 had to have guys just do plates for lifts for fear of injury since form was so bad, that amount of weight is done by freshmen in high school. So we are basically on 16 months of this program with 8 of those being in-season. But my biggest thing I'll say is would we rather have non Olympic lifts resulting in season ending injuries? Or deal with some hamstring issues that put guys out for a game or two due to the fact we are trying to correct 7 years of imbalances? That's before we get in to our practices being more finesse than physical.

I would lean more towards practices for the answer to your pilsbury comment rather than our S&C. They do need to get to the bottom of why WRs can't stay healthy, and I'm sure the finesse practices of tons of route running takes its toll.

I agree we need to evaluate the injury situation,

What I want to know is why no one is asking about our S&C training? We are soft and clearly injury-prone. Being soft generally means you aren't playing with a high intensity level, that is on both the players and coaches. Injuries can stem from playing soft, but they could also be related to a lack of conditioning. I know Mark Philipp looks the part, but is he getting the job done? Is our team PAC-ready but not big mean and nasty enough for championship play in the BIG? Other than lacking the necessary talent to compete at the highest levels, right now it looks to me like we are not tough enough to get it done, especially in the lines...pathetic play. Next year needs to be far better, but we need to hold Philipp, Cav and JP accountable if things aren't greatly improved by game 1 this year.

BTW, I still expect great things next year and beyond...but there are things that need to improve to get there.
Here we go again!

I personally think the program consistently winning 9 games every year under Coach P is a good program. The culture internally and Pelini's sideline behavior was suspect and what the board felt like needed fixed.

Coach R came into a great situation here at NU. Coach P at UW had to rebuild and did it in two years with a shot at the National Championship last night.

Internally is big, I really wish after TO left Perlman would have just pulled the trigger on BO instead of drag us and the players for several more years.

I think Phillip is a good coach but it will take some time to build these guys back up. I went to LSE in Lincoln and played with guys that were being recruited and they would give workout binders to all of us at the summer camps that were for the "Husker Power" program. The guys that were being recruited could start doing the exercises that were expected to help them develop, Phillip has really only started using the performance index since last spring. Hopefully they can start reaching into the recruiting pool with workouts so the players can improve athleticism earlier too.

Coach R came into a great situation here at NU. Coach P at UW had to rebuild and did it in two years with a shot at the National Championship last night.
You might want to get your facts straight, Coach P at UW is in his 3rd year...that's the first point at which a new coach's recruits start showing up. So you were wrong there. You were also wrong to characterize him as having a shot at the NC last night...he lost after barely slipping into the playoffs. He did have a shot last night at reaching the NC game, but not the NC. Have a little patience like the UW fans...Peterson was 15-12 the previous 2 years, about the same as MR. Plus he was universally accepted by his new team rather than facing a large group of bo-loving malcontents.

Last edited:
I personally think the program consistently winning 9 games every year under Coach P is a good program. The culture internally and Pelini's sideline behavior was suspect and what the board felt like needed fixed.

That's not accurate. Washington was 9-4 the season before Petersen took over. He took over a program that had a contentious coaching change due to substance abuse, not a poor record.

His first two seasons, he won 8 and 7 games.

This season was great. But, to say that he took over a total rebuild is not accurate, nor is it to say he almost won the NC in year 2.

That's not accurate. Washington was 9-4 the season before Petersen took over. He took over a program that had a contentious coaching change due to substance abuse, not a poor record.

His first two seasons, he won 8 and 7 games.

This season was great. But, to say that he took over a total rebuild is not accurate, nor is it to say he almost won the NC in year 2.

I am a big fan of his as most know however, you accurately summed it up. In some ways a good analogy to what we are going through.

Zach Weigert and Brendan Stai were both All-Americans in 1994
Aaron Graham was an All-American in 1995

It isn't just S&C.

You can't teach athleticism.
Ah, I see...Boyd Eply and Milt Tenopir and Dan Young had nothing to do with their success? They were just great athletes? I do not believe that for a second...the whole "pipeline" thing was based on us building these linemen.

Last edited:
Ah, I see...Boyd Eply and Milt Tenopir and Dan Young had nothing to do with their success? They were just great athletes? I do not believe that for a second...the whole "pipeline" thing was based on us building these linemen.

Where did the other chi-town say that Boyd and Milt had nothing to do with their success? Player performance is a combination of coaching, S&C and talent, but of these three, talent is the greatest (sorry St. Paul). The linemen from the 90's were made better by Boyd and Milt, but they were always going to be good no matter what. Conversely, there's always going to be a ceiling with how much you can get out of guys like Utter and Conrad.

Need to do more lifts for rolled ankles, concussions, broken backs, and hyperextended elbows!

Season ending injuries have decreased so much it may just be an 8 sideways for the scientific differential from the previous regime. Things are fine there.
I agree. The current program is a step up from the previous one. S&C is like most other things, the players will get out of it what they put into it. I think the program is fine. Up to the players to utilize the facilities, methods, technical work and consistency moving forward.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back