• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Don't Say I Wanted a Four-Team Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think, but would have to verify, that the time allowed is different at each level.

Let me know what you find. I was under the impression the 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week, one day off practice schedule during the season was pretty uniform across all divisions. I have come across info that FBS teams can start earlier than other divisions, in terms of when practice begins prior to their first game.

When we finally get to 4 - 16 team conferences it will settle itself. 8 - 8 team divisions, winners in, losers out. Only your inter-division record counts in the conference standings. That way you can schedule a little tougher non-conference opponents because they won't effect your standing in your division.

Another interesting thing we could add is relegation. Since the 4 conferences will have 16 teams, how about having affiliations with the leftovers where every year 4 teams are promoted and 4 teams are demoted from the super conferences. I've watched the last day of the EPL for the last few years and the relegation games are among the most interesting played all year. Lose and you're out of the money and out of the league. Nothing makes a game between losing teams more interesting.

And conference affiliation is only about dividing up football money for football programs. Let's be realistic and have other conferences for other sports.

I'm living in the US... not Euro land. Though I've been to English Premiere league games in London and wasn't particularly impressed with the fans.

I'm speaking more of my experience going to foreign national team matches in local cities where I lived (e.g. DC or San Diego) and the relatively mild activity of the fans at the game. Sure, they enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it frenzied.

I have had the opposite experience at every level - from MLS to English Premiere League to the World Cup. Regardless, one of the weakest anti-playoff arguments I've heard yet is "the real fans won't travel, so the stadiums will be half-filled with fans that aren't engaged."

Last edited:
When we finally get to 4 - 16 team conferences it will settle itself. 8 - 8 team divisions, winners in, losers out. Only your inter-division record counts in the conference standings. That way you can schedule a little tougher non-conference opponents because they won't effect your standing in your division.

Another interesting thing we could add is relegation. Since the 4 conferences will have 16 teams, how about having affiliations with the leftovers where every year 4 teams are promoted and 4 teams are demoted from the super conferences. I've watched the last day of the EPL for the last few years and the relegation games are among the most interesting played all year. Lose and you're out of the money and out of the league. Nothing makes a game between losing teams more interesting.

And conference affiliation is only about dividing up football money for football programs. Let's be realistic and have other conferences for other sports.

Just a quick word or two of reply: College conferences involve affiliations that go far beyond the football playing field. It is not like a professional league (like EPL) where dropping out of the league means nothing other than money and who is on your schedule the next season.

Last edited:

The thing is, if you use conference champs only, then the CCG games basically act as the first round of the playoffs and you have just doubled teh number of teams in contention. If you go into your CCG undefeated and lose to a team you beat during the regular season and has two losses already...well, life sucks...ya didn't get it done when it matters, so take a seat. Maybe we can have two FBS tourneys like basketball does and the teams that think they got screwed because they didn't win a conference can go play those

This is stated exactly right. A team has to win its way to the conference championship and then win that game to advance. In other words, do it on the field, not in the polls, the minds of friendly coaches or journalists, or in discussions among SEC officials.

This is stated exactly right. A team has to win its way to the conference championship and then win that game to advance. In other words, do it on the field, not in the polls, the minds of friendly coaches or journalists, or in discussions among SEC officials.

You can't limit the playoffs to conference champions only. There have to be wild cards. If not, every nonconference game becomes merely a scrimmage.

You can't limit the playoffs to conference champions only. There have to be wild cards. If not, every nonconference game becomes merely a scrimmage.

Bingo, thus eliminating the already scrimmage like first 3-4 weeks of the season against the "cup cakes".

Schedules would have to change accordingly. How cool would it be for game number 1 be at home against Ohio State or Michigan.

Last edited:

Not to bring back the past...but it use to be pretty exciting on New Year's Day watching he different bowl games and seeing if the #3 or #4 teams could leap into the title (as we did in 1970). I also, think about the 1971 season game with Okie. As this was the last game of the season before the bowl games, would it just be considered "another game" if there had been a playoff system in place (as you knew both teams would make the playoffs...in fact in a 4-team playoff, I believe that NU-OU would be a first round game).

FBS football has always been exciting because of the regular season. While a playoff system is probably in the near future, I hope that the discussion is not just on the playoffs, but also what makes college football special..the regular season and the drama from week to week.

Don't agree because I see no reason to have more than one SEC team in the playoffs and for sure the SEC people will and would be lobbying for a second team. Conference champions only, that is based on winning the conference and has nothing to do with the nonconference games. There may be the added benefit if the nonconference games have no bearing on playoffs then perhaps there will be fewer cupcake games and more competitive ones to get ready for the season--yes, you could call them scrimmages if you like, but the fans will be there and they result in bragging rights, good tv (compared to half the bowl games), and speculation about the conference races. Remember some of the season opening match ups that the Huskers played. Wow, some great games. Wild cards are for poker.

Not to bring back the past...but it use to be pretty exciting on New Year's Day watching he different bowl games and seeing if the #3 or #4 teams could leap into the title (as we did in 1970). I also, think about the 1971 season game with Okie. As this was the last game of the season before the bowl games, would it just be considered "another game" if there had been a playoff system in place (as you knew both teams would make the playoffs...in fact in a 4-team playoff, I believe that NU-OU would be a first round game).

FBS football has always been exciting because of the regular season. While a playoff system is probably in the near future, I hope that the discussion is not just on the playoffs, but also what makes college football special..the regular season and the drama from week to week.

how does that drama week to week work? If we lose to UCLA, OSU and Wisconsin, we're out of National Title talk...however, we could still win the division, conference, and with a Conference Champ requirement on a playoff, we'd be in the hunt for the title

A few thoughts......
it should be easier for people to get tickets to the Mechicken game in 2014 after all the anti playoff people say the playoffs will make the regular season meaningless...not

What's more exciting a bowl game or a lose and go home playoff game....no contest

Who wouldn't like to host Miami,FSU,Alabama or a similar team in Lincoln in December....oh yeah the people who complained about how unfair it was for us.

I personaly think a 6-8 team playoff would be ideal with the first rounds played on campus that should provide ample reason to play hard every game.

A playoff won't be perfect but it imo will be better than the SECentric system we have now.

IMO, it's not a lock that a playoff will expand beyond 4 teams. The long-term physical effects of playing years of football at the highest level are becoming more widely known. Whether it's genuine or just a PR campaign to avoid paying players, I think the AD's and Presidents are also rather unified in their desire to keep the student part of student athlete intact.

With a 4-teamer, we are talking about 1 additional game. The forces that will amass against further expansion are formidable and their primary arguments - that more games compromise both the health and academic progress of the student athlete - are much more difficult to dismiss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back