• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Don't Say I Wanted a Four-Team Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course it is.....it's all about the Benjamins...and right behind that, it's the fact that the teams in a playoff will get what basically amounts to two spring practices. They need to look into that to. Every team, should be allocated the same amount of practices even if they don't go to a bowl game

I agree with that 100%, and I don't think they should expand practices in the winter more than they already have.

I'd rather see practices increase in the spring (i.e. let the non-bowl teams have extra spring and fall camp practice time).

I like the first part. I really have zero problem leaving a team out of the playoffs (if it's a small playoff like 4) if they didn't win their conference. That makes the regular season even more important than it is now. As it is now it was actually to Bama's benefit that they lost to LSU the first time...saved them having to play that extra games.

To the bolded...the "NIT" would be the bowls. That's all they are now anyway (save for 1)...useless exhibitions.

Here's my little curve ball for the "conference winners only". Keep in mind, I 110% agree with you on this. But lets say BYU comes out, puts together a heck of a team one year, and just STEAM rolls everyone to the tune of 65-0. Plays a non conference team from a higher conference, beats them, and that team ends up just outside the top 4 or 8, what ever amount the playoffs is. And BYU is left out, since they are independent. And that team they steam rolled, gets into the playoffs since BYU is left out, goes on and wins the national championship. Now you have a team that won via playoffs.... but lost to an undefeated BYU team that can’t participate in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Actually a playoff is supposed to let you decide it on the field...you inserted "level"

Oh, so we give a team a significant advantage based on nothing more than their perceived ranking, a system bemoaned by the playoff proponents?

That makes total sense....

How does FCS designate the home teams?

I'm interested to know what you mean by different time commitments? I'm pretty sure NCAA rules for practice time are pretty uniform whether it's FBS or D3. I don't believe NU players get any more, or less, regulated practice time than Mount Union players do. Perhaps the time is better utilized at the FBS level, due to more coaches, better equipment, better trainers, and more facilities to practice in, but I would think time commitments are going to be pretty similar. Maybe players at the FBS level spend more time dealing with the media, but then we're only talking about a fraction of players at the FBS level who have any media responsibilties.

No, I think, but would have to verify, that the time allowed is different at each level.

So it'd be like a soccer match... a bunch of mildly interested fans engaged. Wow.

Everyone keeps assuming that a team should be given home field. Why???

Like I said... what great fun.

Soccer has mildy interested fans? I'm not sure what planet you are living on with that remark. I've been watching the Euro Championships, and those fans make college football fans look like husbands at a couple's baby shower.

Oh, so we give a team a significant advantage based on nothing more than their perceived ranking, a system bemoaned by the playoff proponents?

Highest ranked team gets the home field advantage. Its a true playoff.

Soccer has mildy interested fans? I'm not sure what planet you are living on with that remark. I've been watching the Euro Championships, and those fans make college football fans look like husbands at a couple's baby shower.

I'm living in the US... not Euro land. Though I've been to English Premiere league games in London and wasn't particularly impressed with the fans.

I'm speaking more of my experience going to foreign national team matches in local cities where I lived (e.g. DC or San Diego) and the relatively mild activity of the fans at the game. Sure, they enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it frenzied.

Yes, just like every other playoff besides NCAA basketball....

MLB, NBA, NFL, FCS, DII, DIII

Make sure to not return your shoes that you are wearing right now. I don't want to accidentally purchase them and have saliva filled "new" shoes

Here's my little curve ball for the "conference winners only". Keep in mind, I 110% agree with you on this. But lets say BYU comes out, puts together a heck of a team one year, and just STEAM rolls everyone to the tune of 65-0. Plays a non conference team from a higher level, beats them, and that team ends up just outside the top 4 or 8, what ever amount the playoffs is. And BYU is left out, since they are independent. And that team they steam rolled, gets into the playoffs since BYU is left out, goes on and wins the national championship. Now you have a team that won via playoffs.... but lost to an undefeated BYU team that can’t participate in the playoffs.

Didn't BYU end up joining a conference? Damn all this conference expansion/change!

Regardless, the BYUs and Notre Dames will have their criteria for making the playoff....whatever that may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back