• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Martinez Breakout Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer.

It depends on how you calculate it. For example, a 10% increase from 57% is 5.7%. That would put him in the lower 60's. I think that # may be attainable if everyone around him plays just a bit better (which is reasonable given the improvements in the receiving corp and # of returning starters). One other factor that will impact his %, is oddly enough, the defense. If Taylor his playing with a lead, his stats will improve. If we are consistently playing catch-up, that won't play to his strengths.

Put me squarely in the camp that Taylor will put up better #'s this year (hey, it's spring - why not be optimistic). There are a number of factors already listed in this thread that will provide some tailwind for him - and I hope for great things this year.

Accuracy is not the same as efficiency.
Pass efficiency is not listed as a percentage, accuracy is. Therefore the confusion.

A ten to fifteen percent increase in his "efficiency would result in roughly a 150 point rating. If his receivers were also 20 to 25 percent more efficient that would put him in the 170 range. That is a top ten stat range.

However you look at it, it is still a little beyond my expectations. Not saying that I wouldn't enjoy that greatly.

It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots. You know who you are people.

I don't know about fair-weathered, but a lot have been overly critical. I hope he puts it all together this year. He's on track to break a lot of Husker records and I'd love to see him achieve that because it bodes well for the team as a whole.

I believe he's been on an emotional roller coaster. He started ( a well kept secret) as a freshman winning the job from a senior, had an outstanding start to his freshman year ( early Heisman talk)Kansas State game on Thursday night National television,,the lights out performance against Oklahoma St., suffered a very tough injury( perhaps came back too soon) and of course the Texas A&M game.
Sophmore season , new coordinator (less running lost of sliding) the Wisconsin nightmare ( remember Dirk's article the day before the Ohio State game) the great Ohio St. comeback, and the season ending loss to South Carolina.
There's not much this young ( only a junior) QB hasn't seen. I like his chances the next two years.

Regarding the idea of Martinez rushing for 950 yards... can't completely rule it out, but it was obvious that the staff found Nebraska's offense to be much more effective with more carries for Rex and fewer for Martinez about a month into the 2011 season.

In TM's last 7 games last season, he never rushed for more than 56 yards in a game. In the 11 games following the opening two, he only rushed for 100 yards once. Just not convinced that he'll be given the same free-reign to run as he was his freshman year with a different o-coordinator than he has now.

He'll still put up numbers, but I'm mostly interested in wins. It would be better for all of us, as fans, if he did succeed. I'm always in the "show me before I'll believe it camp," but I'll still root for the best.

IMO, the stars are aligned for both TM and the offense to be much better this year for all the reasons stated above. There is an intangible that seems to differentiate physically gifted average and great QB's, and it happens between their ears. We all saw TM (and his OC) make some mind blowing bad decisions last season. If TM (and TB) have the capacity to improve their decision making, this ought to be a much better year. NU does not have the talent any longer to overcome inconsistent QB play. Hopefully the game has truly slowed down for him. We'll see. Could be a lot of fun.I remember a certain Kansas offense that exploded on the scene with less talent than we will have this fall.

Well its time to stir things up in here its been too quiet lately. I am going out on a limb and stating that I look for Martinez to have a break out year this year. Let me define breakout year first. I am not talking all conference but am looking at 2500 yards passing, 15 TD passes and 950 yards rushing. I think his yards per carry will be up but number of carries will be down as I look for us to pass more. I am basing this on this being his third year as a starter and second year in the Beck offense. In addition his having worked hard at improving. No I dont think we will see a smooth passing delivery but think he will be effective. Let the rock throwing begin. We will check the results at year end.

Very reasonable expectations for a very talented QB. I think he may exceed both targets.

I want TM to make better decisions with the ball. I want him to protect the ball. I want him to be able to deliver blows when running with the football. I want him to sacrifice to get first downs, and keep the chains moving.

I don't care about his throwing motion, but when he puts it up, I want him to make good throws (this goes back to decision-making).

I look for increased yards per carry, yards per attempt, and completion percentage.

If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer.

It depends on how you calculate it. For example, a 10% increase from 57% is 5.7%. That would put him in the lower 60's. I think that # may be attainable if everyone around him plays just a bit better (which is reasonable given the improvements in the receiving corp and # of returning starters). One other factor that will impact his %, is oddly enough, the defense. If Taylor his playing with a lead, his stats will improve. If we are consistently playing catch-up, that won't play to his strengths.

Put me squarely in the camp that Taylor will put up better #'s this year (hey, it's spring - why not be optimistic). There are a number of factors already listed in this thread that will provide some tailwind for him - and I hope for great things this year.

NU needs to stick with the gameplan, even if we are behind. To put our offense, and TM in the position where you are dropping back and passing all the time, is unreasonable, and leads to disaster--UM and UW. Games that were close, but then Beck hit the panic button, and he doesn't have the field general to pass our way out of trouble.

I think this is a prudent position. TM has much to prove.

prudence_prude_always_worries_that_people_are_magnet-p147261800386628084z85qu_400.jpg :stickouttongue:

Some things you can coach and some you can't. For these reasons, I believe we have seen the best Taylor had to offer.

Some things you can coach and some you can't. For these reasons, I believe we have seen the best Taylor had to offer.

So you believe that a QB can never improve in his 3rd and 4th years? That is just silly. While I believe that most players cannot significantly improve their passing (including TM) as adults, there are plenty of other things that can be improved upon including: pocket presence, reading blitzes, audibles, leadership, option pitches, turnovers, and going patiently through progressions. TM improved in several of these areas last year and has additional room to improve, perhaps in other areas as well.

Last edited:
TM is no different than he showed last year...nothing we have seen has shown otherwise

TM is no different than he showed last year...nothing we have seen has shown otherwise

Well, since they haven't actually played yet this year, there is really no way of knowing whether he has improved or not. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for a full three years, just like I did with Pelini, after that...I need more than mediocre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back