• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Martinez Breakout Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

denisonred

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
Well its time to stir things up in here its been too quiet lately. I am going out on a limb and stating that I look for Martinez to have a break out year this year. Let me define breakout year first. I am not talking all conference but am looking at 2500 yards passing, 15 TD passes and 950 yards rushing. I think his yards per carry will be up but number of carries will be down as I look for us to pass more. I am basing this on this being his third year as a starter and second year in the Beck offense. In addition his having worked hard at improving. No I dont think we will see a smooth passing delivery but think he will be effective. Let the rock throwing begin. We will check the results at year end.

I agree for the most part. I think his rushing stats will be a bit lower, though, unless one of the younger, speedier backs step up and become a real threat this season. IMO, Martinez's rushing stats were helped a lot in 2010 because Helu was fast enough to where the defense's had to worry about him breaking a big run also, and that took some pressure off Martinez. Rex is great at what he does, but opposing team's aren't going to worry too much about his ability to turn the corner and outrun the secondary.

I do expect his passing #'s to be about the same, the big key will be interceptions. He threw an INT every 36 attempts last season, and 1 every 28 attempts in 2010. If he can continue improving in that area, and get close to 1 INT every 45-50 attempts, things could get interesting.

I don't believe he had totally recovered from his 2010 leg injury last year. I expect TMart (and Sean Fisher) to look much more mobile this year. If his passing improves with better mechanics, he'll be lethal.

Hope springs eternal. We can all hope you're right........wish we had a Spring Game to evaluate progress.

I don't believe he had totally recovered from his 2010 leg injury last year. I expect TMart (and Sean Fisher) to look much more mobile this year. If his passing improves with better mechanics, he'll be lethal.

Better passing mechanics and one more year running the offense, in particular the option. I'm gonna call this the Tmart year also. This will be his first year running the same offense as the previous year. :N:

Last edited:
Well its time to stir things up in here its been too quiet lately. I am going out on a limb and stating that I look for Martinez to have a break out year this year. Let me define breakout year first. I am not talking all conference but am looking at 2500 yards passing, 15 TD passes and 950 yards rushing. I think his yards per carry will be up but number of carries will be down as I look for us to pass more. I am basing this on this being his third year as a starter and second year in the Beck offense. In addition his having worked hard at improving. No I dont think we will see a smooth passing delivery but think he will be effective. Let the rock throwing begin. We will check the results at year end.

I agree with you although his next step may not show up so much in his stats, but in how he leads and manages the team. He'll never look pretty enough as a passer, which is how many laymen like to grade him, but positive plays will eventually silence the critics, for the most part.

From what we hear from other players, he's grabbed the leadership role with gusto. A difficult position that he was put in as a Freshman is something that it sounds like he's grown into.

Unfortunately, there's a portion of our fanbase that seems to enjoy butchering the kid to the max. Kind of sad. I hope this thread doesn't go that direction.

denison, I couldn't agree more with you. I believe Martinez is going to have a great year. Now if he can improve AND the defense improves I think we will win our division AND the Big 10.

Martinez has a career 3.10% interception rate which is very respectable, it is in line with Joe Ganz 3.08, Tagge 3.14; Frazier 3.38 (includes bowl games); Gill 2.92; Ferragamo 3.16.

His completion rate of 57.4% is better than: Zac Taylor 57.2; Gill 54.2; comparable to Ferragamo 57.5; Crouch 51.1; Frazier 49.5.

In a 14 game season Taylor will pass for 2800 yards and run for 1000. Throw 20+ Touchdowns 10 interceptions, 10+ rushing Touchdowns.

It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots. You know who you are people.

If his pass efficiency goes up by 10%-15%, which seems doable, and his receivers drop 20-25% fewer reasonable catches, he will have a good year. Mostly, it seemed to me, that his passes were accurate, but somewhat behind his receivers. If this alone gets fixed, his stats go way up.

I hope Mattinez does have a breakout year but I will believe it when I see it.

A lot of excellent posts so far. You all point out several good reasons why TMart should be better this year.

Here's are two more: 1) it's also the 2nd year for Beck to plan and direct an offense - perhaps we will be much less one-dimensional and predictable, and 2) the ever-hoped for (continuing) improvement of the offensive line. Both of these should also help Matinez be more effective.

Well, one can always hope.

I think it is possible to improve significantly in the areas he needs to improve. It could well happen. If it does, I think our defense could become hard to defend.

I hope T-mart has a hard working and productive summer and comes back and lights the world on fire.

If his pass efficiency goes up by 10%-15%, which seems doable, and his receivers drop 20-25% fewer reasonable catches, he will have a good year. Mostly, it seemed to me, that his passes were accurate, but somewhat behind his receivers. If this alone gets fixed, his stats go way up.
If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer. (I am using his 2 year average) and if his receivers were more efficient that would put him somewhere into the "OMG, that is unbelievable!" range.

I think my expectations are a little more modest than that. ;) :Biggrin:

If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer. (I am using his 2 year average) and if his receivers were more efficient that would put him somewhere into the "OMG, that is unbelievable!" range.

I think my expectations are a little more modest than that. ;) :Biggrin:

Accuracy is not the same as efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back