• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Martinez Breakout Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I should have said nothing we have seen.... or heard...

Last we got to see is a complete break down against a somewhat ave team NCS.

Kinda hard to believe that some fans dont think TMart wont improve at all. Whatya think hes doing all summer ? Do you think that will have zero results. He indeed may through 2 more picks, but maybe he throws the ball 50 more times and completes 8% more passes. Maybe he learns to read the defenses better and gets more comfortable with his recievers. I just cant imagine that 8 months of practice, filmstudy, meetings, and training wont have some positive results.

I actually think he will take a few more steps, a better completion rate, more yards per game, better direction of offense, providing he stays healthy. I dont think were looking at the next coming of Sam Bradford, but I think he will be better in all facets of the game. The kids is working very hard, and no one wants to improve more than him.

Ok I should have said nothing we have seen.... or heard...

Last we got to see is a complete break down against a somewhat ave team NCS.

hell if I know ...I wasnt thinking...meant South Carolona

I don't know Taylor except for what I read and see on TV. He has always seemed to me to be an internally driven individual. He is about competition and improvement and seems to be taking the necessary steps to improve his performance. He seems to have great focus and this year is moving solidly into a team leadership role. He will improve this year, but in 2013 it's going to be lights out.

denison, I couldn't agree more with you. I believe Martinez is going to have a great year. Now if he can improve AND the defense improves I think we will win our division AND the Big 10.

Martinez has a career 3.10% interception rate which is very respectable, it is in line with Joe Ganz 3.08, Tagge 3.14; Frazier 3.38 (includes bowl games); Gill 2.92; Ferragamo 3.16.

His completion rate of 57.4% is better than: Zac Taylor 57.2; Gill 54.2; comparable to Ferragamo 57.5; Crouch 51.1; Frazier 49.5.

In a 14 game season Taylor will pass for 2800 yards and run for 1000. Throw 20+ Touchdowns 10 interceptions, 10+ rushing Touchdowns.

It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots. You know who you are people.

Sam Keller....63.8 %

Sam Keller, Nebraska
QB
SR

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Zac Taylor....69%....int ratio is 2.05
Zac Taylor, Nebraska
QB
SR

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Joe Ganz....67.7%.....int ratio is 2.62

Joe Ganz, Nebraska
QB
SR

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Not sure where your getting the stats from??

this may help some.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

T Martinez will NEVER have the accuracy of the qb's listed above.

Statman i am not a fair weather fan, we are knowledgeable fans who knows great qb'ing.

Last edited:

Last year was yet another transition for the Nebraska offense. New offensive coordinator, new offense. Just think of all the trees that have been cut down printing all the playbooks for NU in the past decade. The tree huggers must be fuming. To play for Nebraska in this last decade meant you had to be brilliant above the neck and have a great memory to counter the many changes.

For Martinez it had to be even tougher. Playbooks and offenses and starting as a red shirt frosh, meant that the little things most all other quarterbacks worked on before they were given the keys to the new car was bypassed. Imagine dad giving the keys to his Z06 to his son that just turned sixteen. Without any time behind the wheel or any drivers Ed. Go for it son...................

The kid threw for a better percentage than many touted Husker quarterbacks while throwing like a girl. The crazy thing is how many throws were dropped when the pass actually got to their hands. He easily could have thrown for better than 60% last year.

With an offense coming together in this second season with the same playbook one would think that finally all involved would finally be on the same page of the playbook. Martinez even got to work on those little things that was never addressed. Things like stepping into the throws. Deeper drops so he didn't step on his lineman's heels. Footwork when passing downfield or pitching the ball on the option. Now just maybe he can work on pocket presence. It's had to master pocket presence when you are stepping into the rush. When you arch your back and are looking at the clouds. When your stepping on your offensive linemen.

With arguably some of the best receivers at Nebraska in a decade and a Heisman contender to hand-off to, all Martinez really needs to do is be a good manager. Defenses will need to crowd the line of scrimmage as the offensive front actually has push, depth and leadership for the first time in quite a while. That means a lot of single coverage. One doesn't have to have the accuracy of Marino and the arm strength of Elway to have a good chance for completions. Just recognize the coverages and manage.

Maturity always shows up as an upper classman. Recognition always becomes easier. Comfort inside the pocket is easier to find. Repetitions over the years imprints on ones hard drive. The game slows down and your teammates have faith in your wisdom. If Martinez doesn't have that defining season then all the football I have grasped over the years was a lie and a waste of my time.

Martinez will have a big step this season. It's inevitable. He will get much better. He will have a better line in front of him. He has a Burkhead. He has receivers that have learned the little nuances of the offense. Now if he can grasp just a little pocket presence then the ceiling of his play is much higher. He'll know when to bolt from the pocket. He will know his reads. He can be more comfortable in knowing when to turn on his afterburner and have those big moments when things break down. Now he's the upper class men. Is it good enough to win the conference? It's still a tough league, but now he has the advantage. He doesn't have to be the best around with all the help he will have this year. He just has to be that good manager that comes with two years of experience behind him. If he has that big year besides, that's just icing on the cake. It should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Last year was yet another transition for the Nebraska offense. New offensive coordinator, new offense. Just think of all the trees that have been cut down printing all the playbooks for NU in the past decade. The tree huggers must be fuming. To play for Nebraska in this last decade meant you had to be brilliant above the neck and have a great memory to counter the many changes. Why all the exuses ?? Martinez is average at best.

For Martinez it had to be even tougher. Playbooks and offenses and starting as a red shirt frosh, meant that the little things most all other quarterbacks worked on before they were given the keys to the new car was bypassed. Imagine dad giving the keys to his Z06 to his son that just turned sixteen. Without any time behind the wheel or any drivers Ed. Go for it son...................
more excuses for his underperformance??

The kid threw for a better percentage than many touted Husker quarterbacks while throwing like a girl. The crazy thing is how many throws were dropped when the pass actually got to their hands. He easily could have thrown for better than 60% last year.
not true...look at the above posted info in the statman post. NOT TRUE

With an offense coming together in this second season with the same playbook one would think that finally all involved would finally be on the same page of the playbook. Martinez even got to work on those little things that was never addressed. Things like stepping into the throws. Deeper drops so he didn't step on his lineman's heels. Footwork when passing downfield or pitching the ball on the option. Now just maybe he can work on pocket presence. It's had to master pocket presence when you are stepping into the rush. When you arch your back and are looking at the clouds. When your stepping on your offensive linemen.
he doesnt have much of a pocket presence !!!

With arguably some of the best receivers at Nebraska in a decade and a Heisman contender to hand-off to, all Martinez really needs to do is be a good manager. Defenses will need to crowd the line of scrimmage as the offensive front actually has push, depth and leadership for the first time in quite a while. That means a lot of single coverage. One doesn't have to have the accuracy of Marino and the arm strength of Elway to have a good chance for completions. Just recognize the coverages and manage.
this is true, our receiving crew is very explosive, they dont get the ball enough.

Maturity always shows up as an upper classman. Recognition always becomes easier. Comfort inside the pocket is easier to find. Repetitions over the years imprints on ones hard drive. The game slows down and your teammates have faith in your wisdom. If Martinez doesn't have that defining season then all the football I have grasped over the years was a lie and a waste of my time.
that was year 2 as a starter, disappointing results.

Martinez will have a big step this season. It's inevitable. He will get much better. He will have a better line in front of him. He has a Burkhead. He has receivers that have learned the little nuances of the offense. Now if he can grasp just a little pocket presence then the ceiling of his play is much higher. He'll know when to bolt from the pocket. He will know his reads. He can be more comfortable in knowing when to turn on his afterburner and have those big moments when things break down. Now he's the upper class men. Is it good enough to win the conference? It's still a tough league, but now he has the advantage. He doesn't have to be the best around with all the help he will have this year. He just has to be that good manager that comes with two years of experience behind him. If he has that big year besides, that's just icing on the cake. It should be fun to watch.

Time will give us the answers!! Going into year 3 of the martinez experience doesnt give me much confidence.

You call them excuses. I call it reality. When we had continuity with the playbook and the staff we were consistently good to one degree or another. When we transitioned almost every season and the staffs were learning along with the young players we have struggled. That sucked.

When we use to never play a kid before he was ready we again were more consistent. Since we play underclassmen as starters and learn on the job we have struggled. Excuses maybe to some, but it been reality to me. It has sucked.

I can see several starters in the record books with some poor percentages as passers. Reality. When we count all the passes dropped that were catchable his numbers change. Reality.

I won't argue his first two seasons were disappointing. His mechanics should have been addressed in his red shirt season. He should have never been a starter as a red shirt frosh. The coaches should have never scrubbed the walkon quarterbacks as inferior and found one that could manage. Goes back to the continuity of staff and playbook. Goes back to throwing out the baby with the bathwater, in that what had worked for Nebraska was scrubbed even before Pelini. It took him a while to figure it out.

I agree with you in that time will tell. Maybe he never shakes his lack of pocket presence. It is hard to teach an old dog tricks he should have learned years before. It is what it is. A combination of mistakes over a decade. He will be better. How much is up to him. He needs to be the manager of this more mature and talented offense. Maybe you disagree but that's my take on the situation. It about looking to the future and righting wrongs. Finding what was lost in the many transitions. You linger on the past and you create a climate of failure. You correct the obvious and you move forward.

So you believe that a QB can never improve in his 3rd and 4th years? That is just silly. While I believe that most players cannot significantly improve their passing (including TM) as adults, there are plenty of other things that can be improved upon including: pocket presence, reading blitzes, audibles, leadership, option pitches, turnovers, and going patiently through progressions. TM improved in several of these areas last year and has additional room to improve, perhaps in other areas as well.

I think he can certainly improve in a few phases of the game. Hell, Tom Brady tries to improve every year. What bothers me about TM is some of the core QB components that seem like they may never change.

Footwork, throwing motion, decision making, pocket awareness, maturity, ability to cut, etc. are all things that are inherant of most great QB's. Sure, you can pull out a few non-traditional QB's that had a quirky throwing motion and were a statue in the pocket with the foot speed of Chum Lee, but most great QB's are at that position for a reason and great for many reasons. I love all the Huskers, but my head tells me TM is a square peg in a round hole that the coaches will pound until it fits. Trust me when I say, I hope I am wrong, but TM at QB is good for at least 2 losses per year for the next 2 years. Do we have better at that position? Maybe not. This is just an era where Husker football has a so-so QB behind center.

And, after all this continual downgrading, hand-wringing and complaining, he is still our best QB, our starter, and will own the QB record books at NU by the time he's done.

People need to lay off and let the kid play. Continually gritching about him serves ZERO purpose.

I think back to quarterbacks such as Bernie Kosar with his funky side armed delivery. He won a championship. Think back to Frost who always looked like he was still throwing the shot put. He won a title. Young at Texas wasn't Joe Namath, yet he won a championship. It's about running an offense that suits the quarterback. Not full scale changing of the offense, but leaning on the plays and schemes within your offense that's plays on your quarterbacks strengths. Martinez still has two seasons to refine and polish his game. He wasn't done any favors by the coaches changing yearly as well as the playbook. Payton Manning never won a national title. He was beat by an option quarterback as I recall that had an only fair passing percentage. But what that quarterback did, he did very well.

Last edited:

And, after all this continual downgrading, hand-wringing and complaining, he is still our best QB, our starter, and will own the QB record books at NU by the time he's done.

People need to lay off and let the kid play. Continually gritching about him serves ZERO purpose.

Well, that closes the book on this thread. FLAS has spoken! Opinions and constructive criticism is no longer necessary or needed. On your way out, please leave your Husker fan membership card at the door if you don't think TM is a great QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back