• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev Alberts to Texas A&M

People are hurt he left because he was doing a good job. You don't get mad at people leaving who were doing poorly, you celebrate it. If in 2022, Frost had left Nebraska to take a coaching job at A&M, we would have been excited we weren't having to buy him out.

I would say few, if any people, were unhappy with Trev prior to yesterday.

had he resigned and then found a job, i would have had more respect, instead he slithered out of town.

seems like every job he has had, hes left a trail of wreckage and pissed off ppl......

espn
uno
now unl.......
I heard the comment from Robin Washut on Husker Online that some are scrutinizing the timing of the announcement occurring when the major coaches are all out of town for vacation/tournament prep, and that there was no press conference, just a statement release. Insinuation is that Trev at best took the easy way out in terms of an announcement.

I’ve slept on it, and feel the same way. Given your history as a player, and now an administrator, it was awesome having someone who seemed smart, good thinker,had vision, honest, decent and loyal. When you signed your new deal in November, it gave you a serious raise, longevity, stability and top 10 pay. You said you had the best AD job there was. You said how exciting it was with all the new things happening. The teams were improved, really had some very solid momentum going. You were at the end of season one of a guy you hand picked. While NU didn’t make a bowl, again, it did have some momentum. Once to the off season, there was much good news, and the team seemed really whole heartedly happy. Things were improving, maybe even rapidly.

While everything in the academic side was somewhat in flux of late, lack of a president, and a new Chancellor, and terrible regents, maybe, your leadership was needed, to help keep things stable. I mean, you’ve preached family, loyalty, and other things in which we all know was nonsense. Instead of helping your school, the same school that made you, gave you some breaks, gave you opportunities, you decide to bail. I’m not going to call you any names or anything, but IMO, you trashed any ounce of integrity you may have. You leaving, could really hurt your school. It wasn’t an ideal time. While NU wasn’t on solid ground yet with the lack of a president, you just went to a school who is king of drama and unstableness. I’m not sure what your end game is, but most of us thought you meant it with your dream job statement. You didn’t practice what you preached, or, see the job thru at NU. You left your hand picked coach hanging. Great job. I really hope this was all worth it to you. The way you left sucked. You sacrificed your honor, and character, for your own ego. Do yourself a favor, don’t tell your new fans all the BS, as in the end, only makes things much worse. I hope it hurts like hell every time you see the color red. You did all of this…….for what?

After some thought on this situation, I am extraordinarily disappointed in Trev Alberts. The University leadership issues aside, he could’ve been the rock in a transitional period. He bailed when we needed him the most after preaching unity, unity, unity. Selfish move imo
"I'm sure he had his reasons" is where I'm at right now. Maybe those reasons are entirely selfish, or survival-based, but that would require me to have more information than I do right now. I am disappointed he left at a time when things seemed promising, but I'll need to know more before I can pass judgment. Still stunned though.

Agree. It seems a lot of the talk has been about the University Leadership failing, etc. As I said earlier, I am still incredibly disappointed in Trev Alberts. He could have been the guy to stay and do his best to keep things steady here. All of the crap he preached, and now he secretly takes off to another school. Disheartening to say the least.

Money. He is gonna make tons more. That alone means things. He can retire earlier. Give his kids more. Nebraska gave me what I needed to succeed and I moved on too. It ain't no thing. No different than the brain drain. But it's on the state to make it more attractive. And that gets political.

The Regents need to start talking. If you are a Regent, and have tried to improve the situation, you need to come out and say; Things are messed up, and these are the Regents causing the problems. Short of that, recall and replace every last one of them.

Last edited:

I focus on work for one day, and look what happens...

I haven't read 2% of the posts yet, and I don't know if "root cause" has been identified in any of the posts.

What concerns me is the "toxic culture" issue. It seemed like, for the first time in 20+ years, we had all our priorities aligned, with everyone from Ted to Ronnie to Trev to Rhule all fighting on the same squad for once. Now that's all been blown up. What gives?

Had I known this a month ago, I might not have re-upped for my expensive season tickets. What's going to happen with the proposed stadium renovations? Is the football facility going to be completed?

??????????
I am convinced the problems lie higher up. Something needs to be done and quickly.

Yesterday I was leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt. After reflecting on it for a day, I say the University should shun him, un-retire his number, remove his name from the stadium, and paint his jersey black to symbolize turning our backs to him just like he did to the University. I'm sure the governor talked to him, and today the Governor blamed the Regents, and I'm convinced that is where the blame belongs, but instead of tuck-tail and running, Trev should have pulled up his big boy pants, and used his substantial leverage to work to fix what was wrong.

Money. He is gonna make tons more. That alone means things. He can retire earlier. Give his kids more. Nebraska gave me what I needed to succeed and I moved on too. It ain't no thing. No different than the brain drain. But it's on the state to make it more attractive. And that gets political.
I do not buy the money argument … board rumors suggested pre-AD job he contemplated retirement. He made really decent coin as an AD at UNO and UNL.

Money has to be the least of the reasons to leave. Not a priority for leaving. There certainly were other greater reasons.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back